Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Style vs. Skill

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Style vs. Skill

Old 08-24-21, 01:15 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Remember it's slow, clip out, stop; not slow, stop, fall over. 🙂
**** ! i’ve been doing it totally wrong.

worry, worry, slow down, worry, **** ! grab a stoplight or parking meter!
Old 08-24-21, 01:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
That's why I got balloon outriggers. They're not very aero but give the bike a unique style befitting my size 27 shoes.
Old 08-24-21, 01:38 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Remember it's slow, clip out, stop; not slow, stop, fall over. 🙂
I think I can manage this. What I am unsure about is whether I can manage clipping out if I have to brake hard in an emergency or semi-emergency.
Old 08-24-21, 05:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

Trigger warning. Speaking of style. When it gets cold, I say "F it" and ride in my hiking and climbing clothes. I can be comfortable scrambling a creek at 20F, there's no reason to feel cold at 50.
Old 08-24-21, 05:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,051 Times in 3,807 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I think I can manage this. What I am unsure about is whether I can manage clipping out if I have to brake hard in an emergency or semi-emergency.
It's a muscle memory movement pattern. Practice unclipping until the movement is unconscious. With both feet.

Something I learned from my time as a musician that is applicable with a lot of things..."An amateur practices until they get it right. A pro practices until they never get it wrong". Be a "pro".
Old 08-24-21, 05:53 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
It's a muscle memory movement pattern. Practice unclipping until the movement is unconscious. With both feet.

Something I learned from my time as a musician that is applicable with a lot of things..."An amateur practices until they get it right. A pro practices until they never get it wrong". Be a "pro".
This is good advice.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 08-24-21, 08:06 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
I think it's funny that people are ****ting on op for judging other cyclists. Everyone judges each other; it's part of life, and there is definitely a cycling fashion that people adhere to and can be indicative of ability. I'm very low on the s axis and middle of the road a axis, and I definitely judge my fellow cyclists based on what they ride. Wearing kit from a racing team and riding a 10k$ bike doesn't meant you are fast, but it's enough for me to take notice and possibly change route to race them.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 08-24-21, 08:55 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I can't give you any instructions, but all I can say is that every time there's been a total emergency and I needed to dismount, unclipping happened. I don't know how it happened, it just did.
When you've clipped in and out enough, your legs just know how to do it. And that's not simply braking hard and getting a foot down - I'm talking about getting my whole body off the bike.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 08-24-21, 10:35 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bblevens
So a guy like me who physically isn't able to be a fast monster rider but loves to ride and is fortunate enough to be able to afford good bikes and decent kit is a poseur? (I think the term you're looking for is Fred).
I am not fast. I cannot ride a century. But I love to ride and I found that a carbon frame with Ultegra was not only comfortable but it helped me enjoy my riding more. Hence I get out more.
If the serious riders don't like me and think I'm just trying to fit in, I suppose it's their loss.
I don't normally reply like this but I'm afraid this hit me wrong. The whole premise seems pompous and diametrically opposed to what bike riding should be about.
I've got my asbestos on, so have at it.
You have me covered on this topic.
I guess I am a decent rider who designs things for a living. I like things that look good and perform well. I am in balance and don’t care much about others judging me as I am sure they all have their own issues.
Old 08-24-21, 11:20 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I can't give you any instructions, but all I can say is that every time there's been a total emergency and I needed to dismount, unclipping happened. I don't know how it happened, it just did.
When you've clipped in and out enough, your legs just know how to do it. And that's not simply braking hard and getting a foot down - I'm talking about getting my whole body off the bike.
​​​​​​That's funny. Me too.
Old 08-25-21, 08:45 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I think it's funny that people are ****ting on op for judging other cyclists. Everyone judges each other; it's part of life, and there is definitely a cycling fashion that people adhere to and can be indicative of ability. I'm very low on the s axis and middle of the road a axis, and I definitely judge my fellow cyclists based on what they ride. Wearing kit from a racing team and riding a 10k$ bike doesn't meant you are fast, but it's enough for me to take notice and possibly change route to race them.
We know.

Last edited by Bah Humbug; 08-25-21 at 08:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-25-21, 08:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I think it's funny that people are ******** on op
Watch your language, son.