Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

6-Speed Suntour Perfect Freewheel problem?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-21, 08:10 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

Hi there.

I have a Suntour 6-speed freewheel that's doing something rather strange. I got it used from a friend. When t he freewheel sits overnight it the next day the cogs no longer turn on the body. THe freewheel acts like a 6-speed fixed-gear cluster and does NOT freewheel. I can let oil soak into the innards via the front and the back of the freewheel and shortly thereafter it spins nice and free. BUT... The next day it's back to being stuck and not freewheeling. It's off the bike for this reason. I can really make good use of this freewheel if I can get it to keep its freewheeling ability and not seize up overnight.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Also, does the lockring that has the two round indents unscrew counter-clockwise? I have the proper Park pi-spanner for it.

Thanks and cheers
Old 08-25-21, 08:53 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts
...the lock ring is left hand threaded, but don't take it apart. There are a ton of tiny bearings in there, and some pawls and springs that have a tendency to fall out.
I think what you have going on is some old, stiff lubricant (probably grease) in there. The oil softens it up so the pawls free up a little, then when you let it sit for a while, it stiffens up again.

Before I took it apart, I would try soaking the whole thing in mineral spirits or acetone for a couple of days. Or flushing it with brake cleaner or another solvent in spray form. Then re-lubricate with oil at the seams where the part of the body that holds the cogs meets the stationary part, front and back. This has always worked well for me. You don't really need new grease in there, because there's no load on the bearings when it spins.

Many freewheels that get taken apart never make it back together.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-25-21, 02:04 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...the lock ring is left hand threaded, but don't take it apart. There are a ton of tiny bearings in there, and some pawls and springs that have a tendency to fall out.
I think what you have going on is some old, stiff lubricant (probably grease) in there. The oil softens it up so the pawls free up a little, then when you let it sit for a while, it stiffens up again.

Before I took it apart, I would try soaking the whole thing in mineral spirits or acetone for a couple of days. Or flushing it with brake cleaner or another solvent in spray form. Then re-lubricate with oil at the seams where the part of the body that holds the cogs meets the stationary part, front and back. This has always worked well for me. You don't really need new grease in there, because there's no load on the bearings when it spins.

Many freewheels that get taken apart never make it back together.
This. And go from there.
Old 08-25-21, 02:13 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Suntour filed for bankruptcy back in '94, so your freewheel at a minimum has to be older than that. I was taking those apart in the 70's. (trust me, as others have suggested... don't take it apart.) How about replacing it with a new one with the smoother shifting Shimano hyperglide teeth?
Likes For headwind15:
Old 08-25-21, 02:15 PM
Ishamael

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki International, 198(?) Kuwahara Apollo Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
If the suggestion above doesn't end up working and you want to chance taking it apart as a last ditch effort, RJ the Bike Guy has a pretty good video on YouTube where he dismantles, cleans and reassembles a freewheel. I can't post links yet, but it should be an easy search.
Old 08-25-21, 05:33 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
Or, gather up a couple of freewheels (to make shipping worthwhile) and mail them all to pastorbobnlnh and he'll rebuilt it to NOS standard.
Old 08-25-21, 06:15 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...oto-heavy.html
Old 08-25-21, 08:02 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

What I wanted to do was loosen the lockring enough to allow any foreign crud inside the freewheel to be flushed out.

I haven't loosened the lockring yet but today I bought a can of WD-40 and gave the freewheel a good soak as I turned t o body once it was unseized. Tomorrow I'll check and see if it's seized again. If it is I'll loosen the lockring and flush the freewheel out again. If that doesn't cure the problem I'll open it up and see if I can flush t he stuff out. If that doesn't work I'll then disassemble the freewheel completely and rebuild it. I've take apart and reassembled many freewheels over the years. It can be done with care and patience. I've always found that the trickiest part is getting the pawls to slip into the notches as the thing is being reassembled and i have a t echnique that make that a lot easier.

Shipping at a post office here in Ontario Canada is based on size or weight which ever is greater and it's not worth it to send a freewheel to the U.S.A. for repair and return.

Right now 6-speed freewheels are very scarce here let alone a quality one.

I have this thread bookmarked and will let you all know how I make out with this.

Thanks and cheers
Old 08-25-21, 08:48 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...WD-40 is not an adequate solvent for this job. If you really want to take it apart, do it.
But a spray can of brake cleaner from the auto parts store could save you a lot of hassle.
Old 08-25-21, 10:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
It obviously isn't a "Perfect" freewheel if it is having problems!

I would talk to pastorbobnlnh he runs the Freewheel Spa and specializes in older freewheels if you are dead set on trying to save it.

Me personally I would just get myself a nice IRD Freewheel and be done with it.
Old 08-26-21, 01:11 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
The fact that it works “sometimes” means the pawls and balls are probably fine.

1) Use a bunch of solvent that cuts grease. Brakeclean, mineral spirits, acetone, gas, diesel. Work freewheel back and forth. Maybe even submerge it for a while in solvent. You’ll hear the freewheel working again.

2) put synthetic oil in the the seem between the spinning and non spinning parts. Spin and apply spin and apply. Keep doing this until nasty oil comes out the other side. That’s it. Your done. I like synthetic ATF for this type of thing.

I took a freewheel apart once.Never again.

Oh yea... Never use WD40 for this type of thing unless your going to flush the WD40 out. It turns weird and waxy- it’s probably your problem now is WD40.
Old 08-26-21, 02:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
You'll spend more on stuff to spray in it than just buying a new FW. If you do decide to take it apart, then do it in something that will catch all the little ball bearings and stuff that is inside.

You've been around here long enough to know that eventually someone will have given you this link and you've already looked at it, right?
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

I thought I had a 6 speed Suntour Perfect sitting on the shelf taking up space but I just checked and it's only a 5 speed..
Old 08-26-21, 03:15 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Iride01
You'll spend more on stuff to spray in it than just buying a new FW. If you do decide to take it apart, then do it in something that will catch all the little ball bearings and stuff that is inside.

You've been around here long enough to know that eventually someone will have given you this link and you've already looked at it, right?
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

I thought I had a 6 speed Suntour Perfect sitting on the shelf taking up space but I just checked and it's only a 5 speed..
Yes, I've often read Sheldon Brown's articles. Regarding freewheel cleaning/lubrication he stated:

"First scrape off as much grit and grime as you can, then flush the old lubricant out of the freewheel before relubricating it, To do this, you will need a parts cleaning bath, preferably with a sprayer. Loosening the outer ring by a couple of turns can create a larger gap into which to spray the cleaning solution."

Note that last line:

"Loosening the outer ring by a couple of turns can create a larger gap into which to spray the cleaning solution."

That was the reason I started this thread and asked which way the outer lockring turned to loosen it. I should have revisited that article for the answer. LOL

The freewwheel is working fine at the moment. I'll flush it again with some degreaser and then oil it.

Thanks all and cheers
Old 08-26-21, 04:57 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
...WD-40 is not an adequate solvent for this job. If you really want to take it apart, do it.
But a spray can of brake cleaner from the auto parts store could save you a lot of hassle.
There is nothing wrong with using WD-40 for this job. It leaves behind a light oil which brake (or carb) cleaner won’t.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-26-21, 05:15 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by cyccommute
There is nothing wrong with using WD-40 for this job. It leaves behind a light oil which brake (or carb) cleaner won’t.
...good to hear from you Stewart. Good to know having you on ignore is still the best solution.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-26-21, 05:54 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

...good to hear from you Stewart. Good to know having you on ignore is still the best solution.
Learn how to spell. Often freewheels can be refreshed with light oil. WD-40 contains about 25% light oil. I’m not a huge fan of WD-40 and it can be over used but there are applications on bicycles where it has its uses.

Of course, I’m on ignore so you won’t learn anything.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-26-21, 09:52 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Learn how to spell. Often freewheels can be refreshed with light oil. WD-40 contains about 25% light oil. I’m not a huge fan of WD-40 and it can be over used but there are applications on bicycles where it has its uses.

I’m glad it works for you. I use WD quite a bit at work. I like triflow much better, but WD has the super convenient spray cap that’s easy and fast in an industrial setting.
Old 08-26-21, 11:32 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...you'd be surprised with what a person can learn, with you on ignore. It's quite remarkable.
Old 08-26-21, 11:50 PM
cyccommute 

...you'd be surprised with what a person can learn, with you on ignore. It's quite remarkable.
I don’t seem to be on ignore at all. I thought the whole point of being on ignore was to, well, ignore. You don’t seem to be doing a very good job.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-27-21, 12:01 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I recommend a thorough soak in kerosene. Loosening the outer “cone” slightly with a pin spanner will allow for flushing some of the crud out the back side. Once the bulk of the hardened grease/crud has been flushed out and the pawls are functioning properly, re-adjust the outer cone to the “Goldilocks” setting (not too tight, not too loose). Since the bearings have little if any weight bearing duty (unlike wheel bearings or headset bearings) serious “greasing” isn’t required. I usually drizzle some Phil’s Tenacious Oil into the bearing races from both the inside and outside.
RE: full disassembly, it has potential for becoming a “mini disaster” but I’ve done it several times with complete success (without even watching a YouTube video) . Count and separate the bearings from the outside and inside races. Be sure to not lose the little springs that push the pawls out (prolly not likely on disassembly due to the thick grease). I’m sure that the suggested references would allow for successful rebuild!
Old 08-27-21, 02:28 PM
Miele Man

Well folks.

It looks like the flushing with the WD-40 has cured the problem. As of five minutes ago the freewheel is still spinning freely.

I'll dribble a bit of light detergent free oil into the innards to be sure they are lubricated.

Cheers
Old 08-27-21, 02:38 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I'll dribble a bit of light detergent free oil into the innards to be sure they are lubricated.
Try to let the WD-40 dry out a bit by using an air compressor or just let it dribble out a couple of days or more. The WD-40 dilutes the oil. Not a major deal if you don't get it dry but maybe refresh the oil in a month of use or so if their is some WD-40 mixed in.
Old 08-27-21, 03:57 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Well folks.

It looks like the flushing with the WD-40 has cured the problem. As of five minutes ago the freewheel is still spinning freely.

Cheers
1/4 of the WD-40 is a light detergent free oil. Just let it dry. No more oil is needed.

Old 08-27-21, 07:22 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Try to let the WD-40 dry out a bit by using an air compressor or just let it dribble out a couple of days or more. The WD-40 dilutes the oil. Not a major deal if you don't get it dry but maybe refresh the oil in a month of use or so if their is some WD-40 mixed in.
Thanks, I'll do that.

Cheers
Old 08-27-21, 07:24 PM
Miele Man

1/4 of the WD-40 is a light detergent free oil. Just let it dry. No more oil is needed.
Thanks but No. I'll put a bit of light oil in there. Many years ago I used WD-40 all be itself to lubricate a freewheel. Later on I had problems with that freewheel and when I opened it up it was full of rust. In my opinion WD-40 by itself is not sufficient lubrication. YMMV but I'm not taking any chances with this freewheel.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.