Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandem | Getting Started From a Stop Tutorial

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 09-20-21, 08:01 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts

As captain, I've found starting from a stop the most stressful part of managing a tandem. I found this great tutorial video (this YouTube channel has a lot of great tandem info/videos).

Anybody other tips or tricks you've found to have a successful start from stop?

I'd also be interested to hear what others have found challenging with a tandem ... captains or stockers

(if this thread is redundant .... sorry, I looked but didn't find one in the forum)

Old 09-20-21, 08:06 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
my only probem is when I jsut stop and have to go right away and I dont have the peddle in position. like when a car stops for us when they ahve the right of way and I am just coming to a stop.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 09-20-21, 09:36 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
my only probem is when I jsut stop and have to go right away and I dont have the peddle in position. like when a car stops for us when they ahve the right of way and I am just coming to a stop.
Totally agree, a quick stop-start is difficult!

Another thing I'm learning .... On a single bike, I'm typically good at remember to down shift coming into a stop .... and with the tandem, I'm learn to ALWAYS down shift before a stop.
Old 09-20-21, 10:11 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
I know that video shows the usual recommended method, but we find it much easier to both stand over the bike, engage our left feet at 10:00, and go from there - after a “ready?” signal of course.
That stoker’s saddle looks way low!
Likes For due ruote:
Old 09-21-21, 12:43 PM
Yamato72

Bikes: '12 Felt F85, '14 Felt Edict Nine 1, '15 C'dale T1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
My stoker is fairly small so she gets on and clips in while my feet are on the ground, then I start us off in a normal fashion with her boosting us forward. She stays clipped in when stopped at intersections, etc. It does require care and some muscle at times.

Last edited by Yamato72; 09-21-21 at 12:47 PM.
Likes For Yamato72:
Old 09-21-21, 06:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
That stoker’s saddle looks way low!
All the saddles look low. My knees hurt just watching that.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-21-21, 06:59 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Totally agree, a quick stop-start is difficult!
Learning how to track stand is a plus. If you don’t want to learn the whole track stand thing, learning how to very slow roll (like less than walking speed) is a good skill to have.

Another thing I'm learning .... On a single bike, I'm typically good at remember to down shift coming into a stop .... and with the tandem, I'm learn to ALWAYS down shift before a stop.
I seldom downshift on a single. When I rode with kids about a million years ago, I never downshifted but my stoker was only slightly heavier than a touring load. My recent reintroduction to tandem in on the other hand is with a stoker who weighs a bit more. I forget to downshift at my own peril.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-21-21, 08:18 PM
Vefer

Bikes: Trek 4300, '84 Trek 400,'88 Trek, 85 Trek 720 560, 82 Motobecane Randonee, 75 Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn Sierra, '84 Trek 890, 2001 Trek 5200 OCLV USPS, 99 Trek Y Foil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
From the Wizard of all things bicycle.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tandem.html
Likes For Vefer:
Old 09-21-21, 11:08 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
The Proper Method
Old 09-22-21, 06:41 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Learning how to track stand is a plus. If you don’t want to learn the whole track stand thing, learning how to very slow roll (like less than walking speed) is a good skill to have.
Track stand a tandem ... ... My single track stand skills are shaky, and my stoker has no interest in track stands. That said, the slow roll is a great tool I've been happily using.
Old 09-22-21, 05:40 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
The (ultra) slow roll is a great skill to have, and when you get it nailed, starting and stopping need not produce anymore stress on a tandem than they do on a single. Part of the problem (I think) is that the average team just does not get the hours in to really get these skills dialed in. We are a blind stoker, partially sighted captain team, and are 99% car free, so every weekday commute is on a tandem, plus errands, shopping, recreation. Adds up to quite a bit of time to make it all pretty instinctive.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 09-23-21, 07:16 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
I think part of it is knowing what to expect. The tandem is heavier. It is larger. It will feel more unstable because in addition to those two things (more unwieldy), instead of getting going by yourself, two people need to be in sync. I could get my own bike going in my sleep. A tandem... requires effort (at least to me, though in my case it probably doesn't help that my stoker is taller and heavier than I am).

COMMUNICATION above all. This is especially important if one has a stoker with visual impairment, but also for anyone because there's too much coordination that needs to happen with tandeming to just assume you'll be thinking the same all the time (or, as a captain, to assume your stoker is looking at what you're doing and interpreting it correctly).
Likes For Kat12:
Old 09-23-21, 09:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
We've always used the Proper Method. Both of us have clipless pedals and thus Stoker is always clipped in, unless we are stopping for a longer period of time. In that case. Captain puts both feet down and says, Down!. Stoker then also unclips and puts both feet down (or not, it's her choice.) To start, Captain says, "Pedal" and Stoker presents Captain's left pedal at 10:00 and Captain clips in to that pedal. If we've come to a quick stop, Captain will put the right foot down with the left pedal at 6 o'clock. To quickly restart, Captain can either yank the left pedal into position, or more nicely, say "Pedal", and then both riders bring the left pedal to 10:00.

Yes, not remembering to downshift during a sudden stop will bring a remonstrance from Stoker because in the Proper Method it's Stoker who moves the bike almost alone until Captain clips in the second pedal, and Captain had better hit the clip perfectly every time.

The wonderful thing about all this is that, unlike on a single bike, it's easy to start a tandem on a 10% grade, IF stupid Captain has remembered to shift all the way down before stopping. If that's impossible, both riders dismount and Stoker holds up the rear wheel while Captain downshifts. Then the start proceeds normally.

We both love riding the tandem, partly because of the teamwork necessary, and partly because the thing will really move if we push. Our very favoritest thing is descending rollers. Tandems rule on descending rollers.
Old 09-23-21, 11:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I’ve done blind stoker events a few times and prior experience is key. I think an average person who might ride a bike occasionally for fun will be fine. They’ll just go along with it. Anyone who does MTB or other goofy riding will adapt fast. If your victim has never been on a bike or has roadie habits, it can be a problem. My most memorable was a guy who stopped pedaling at the bottom of each stroke. He had been a skateboarder, not sure if that was why. Another who was a former roadie did well with a briefing: we are going to start left foot on the ground, right pedal forward, crank and launch and get seated, I’ll call pedal or coast, etc

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 09-23-21 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-24-21, 06:32 AM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Our team is on the heavy side and I am not comfortable stabilizing the bike with my tip-toes while sitting on the saddle. I straddle the bike with both feet firmly planted, My stoker gets clipped in and brings the left pedal to the 10 o'clock position, or if not, I will say "set me up". When we are are ready, I will say OK and wait for a response then bring my left foot to the pedal and release the brakes and we both push the pedals from the 10 o'clock to 6 position and stop pedaling. While this is going on I am raising myself up, positioning my aft end on the saddle and bringing my right foot to the pedal and we natural start pedaling then. It is quite disconcerting if the stoker doesn't stop pedaling at the bottom of that first stroke while I am hoisting my mass upward. Our method is not unlike most of what is describe above with the exception of the pedal stop at the 6 o'clock position.

There isn't just one way to start. I've observed many tandem teams start in different ways and they all seem to be successful. I surmise that the teams that don't have a successful staring method are the teams you never see.

(and yes, the video at top looks like the seats are way to low for those riders).
Old 09-24-21, 09:22 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
It's funny, as a leftie I start with my right foot rather than left as you all do. Does putting your right foot down create issues with the side of the road and imperfections? I'm always inside from that.
Old 09-27-21, 07:45 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Paul J
It's funny, as a leftie I start with my right foot rather than left as you all do. Does putting your right foot down create issues with the side of the road and imperfections? I'm always inside from that.
I'm happy both stoker and captain plant our right foot at a stop. I've never had a problem with bad footing, but I won't ride the gutter ... keeping far enough from the damaged shoulder to have good footing.
Old 09-27-21, 07:51 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
as I righty I put my left foot down. I must be backwards.
Old 09-27-21, 08:43 AM
cyccommute 

My wife starts with her right foot and I start with my left. It causes some minor issues during mounting but once we get rolling (and stopping), I put right foot down and she follows.

She starts with the right foot because she has ridden bikes that are far too big for her most of her life. When your legs are short and it’s a long way down from the bike, putting your left foot down is on the uphill side of the road crown so it’s a slightly shorter reach. It’s not something those of us who are fortunate enough to have properly fitting bikes have to worry about.

Old 09-27-21, 09:02 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I've been strictly a right-foot down person, both on the tandem and single bike, ever since a rider I knew had her left foot run over by a pickup truck while stopped at a light. And yes, one does have be be careful of the footing, and it's a bit of a PITA because the road to the right will always be a little lower. Still, it's a good thing to be leaning away from traffic.
Old 09-27-21, 09:16 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I've been strictly a right-foot down person, both on the tandem and single bike, ever since a rider I knew had her left foot run over by a pickup truck while stopped at a light. And yes, one does have be be careful of the footing, and it's a bit of a PITA because the road to the right will always be a little lower. Still, it's a good thing to be leaning away from traffic.
Sounding a bit like a broken record here, but I suspect the woman put down her left foot for the same reason my wife does. It’s due to riding bikes that are far too tall for them. I put down my right foot so that if I topple over, I fall away from traffic. My wife’s reasons are equally valid and due to a lifetime of ill fitting bikes.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-27-21, 11:58 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Sounding a bit like a broken record here, but I suspect the woman put down her left foot for the same reason my wife does. It’s due to riding bikes that are far too tall for them. I put down my right foot so that if I topple over, I fall away from traffic. My wife’s reasons are equally valid and due to a lifetime of ill fitting bikes.
There are quite a few right foot people, their reason being that the road crown makes it easier to right foot, which is very true regardless of bike fit.

I'm not completely in agreement with your reasoning about falling, though. I don't think we've ever fallen toward the down foot, though we have fallen away from the down foot several times. Perfection is very difficult. "Several times" out of maybe 100,000 stops isn't too bad, but it only takes once, which does terrify me to a certain extent. It eases my mind a bit that we try to never come to a stop with moving traffic beside us and falling away from the down foot only happens in that last instant as we come to a stop. We try to minimize risk, but it's always there.
Old 09-27-21, 06:09 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by Alcanbrad
Our team is on the heavy side and I am not comfortable stabilizing the bike with my tip-toes while sitting on the saddle. I straddle the bike with both feet firmly planted, My stoker gets clipped in and brings the left pedal to the 10 o'clock position, or if not, I will say "set me up". When we are are ready, I will say OK and wait for a response then bring my left foot to the pedal and release the brakes and we both push the pedals from the 10 o'clock to 6 position and stop pedaling. While this is going on I am raising myself up, positioning my aft end on the saddle and bringing my right foot to the pedal and we natural start pedaling then. It is quite disconcerting if the stoker doesn't stop pedaling at the bottom of that first stroke while I am hoisting my mass upward. Our method is not unlike most of what is describe above with the exception of the pedal stop at the 6 o'clock position.

There isn't just one way to start. I've observed many tandem teams start in different ways and they all seem to be successful. I surmise that the teams that don't have a successful staring method are the teams you never see.

(and yes, the video at top looks like the seats are way to low for those riders).
I'm not, either. I always have my saddle adjusted so I can't put both feet on the ground. This is absolutely no problem on my single bike, but on the tandem... I've yet to get used to feeling stable enough to start out standing like that. So my method is ridiculous: I hitch myself up to the saddle, but off to one side so I have one foot on the ground and the other on the pedal. Then I LEAN way over toward the pedal side so my weight is sort of evenly over the saddle. And off we go and I can then shift my weight fully onto the saddle. It looks super-ridiculous but it's what works if I don't want to have the saddle too low. (You would think I'd be smart enough to just have us start out next to a curb so I can put my foot there and get higher and could possibly start in a more normal-looking position...)

(Stoker has clipless pedals; captain's pedals are flat. I am definitely not confident enough to want to have to worry about remembering to unclip/doing so correctly if we have to come to a sudden stop.) And yes, we both start with a foot down; I honestly don't know if I could keep the bike steady if she was all clipped in while we were at a standstill.

And yeah, often I forget to stand wide enough for the pedal to clear (also, I have short legs) and get whacked in the calf with the pedal, lol. Probably should specifically request the pedal the way all of you do...

As a righty, I prefer my right foot up if given the choice (but prefer to put my right foot down when I stop). To me this makes sense*, as I can put the power on the pedal with my dominant (and probably slightly stronger) foot/leg-- and likewise when stopping, can "land" on my dominant (and probably slightly more coordinated) foot. Sometimes we alternate, especially since her other captain tends to prefer to start with left foot up. For a while she said she felt more stable with the right foot on the ground as we started out, but IIRC now she prefers left foot down.

*Then again, I do a lot of weird things that just make sense to me but don't match the conventional "handedness." I wear my watch on my right wrist, because to me it has always felt natural to look at my dominant wrist. When turning, I tend to do so clockwise (which is usually a thing left-handed people do; right-handed people tend to turn counter-clockwise), and this may be because somewhere in my subconscious, of course I turn toward my dominant side. Etc. (Turning as in, if walking or running and you want to change direction 180 degrees, the way you will naturally turn to accomplish this. In my case, it also comes out in the way I jump and spin in figure skating, and which way turning feels more natural/easy to me in dance.)
Old 09-28-21, 09:29 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
There are quite a few right foot people, their reason being that the road crown makes it easier to right foot, which is very true regardless of bike fit.

I'm not completely in agreement with your reasoning about falling, though. I don't think we've ever fallen toward the down foot, though we have fallen away from the down foot several times. Perfection is very difficult. "Several times" out of maybe 100,000 stops isn't too bad, but it only takes once, which does terrify me to a certain extent. It eases my mind a bit that we try to never come to a stop with moving traffic beside us and falling away from the down foot only happens in that last instant as we come to a stop. We try to minimize risk, but it's always there.
My comments about falling away from traffic are more related to single bikes than to tandems, although it does apply to tandems as well. Falls at stops are usually related to disengaging a foot from pedals. If you are struggling to remove your foot (clipless or toe clips, I’ve done both), I’ve found you tend to lean the bike towards the side that you are struggling with. For me that means the right foot.

I suspect that toppling over to the left on a tandem is probably related to either the stoker or captain or both, trying to avoid falling by leaning away from the fall. Honestly, I’ve only ever crashed once on a tandem when the bottom bracket tube high centered on bump (I probably shouldn’t have been riding it off-road).

Old 12-04-21, 11:11 PM
PaulGrun

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
We start with whichever foot happens to be down. My stoker stays clipped in, so which foot goes down when coming to a stop is pretty much up to me, coulx be either one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.