Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Solar panel on handlebar bag

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 09-20-21, 05:53 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts

I need very little energy to get my electronics going when touring (less than 1Wh/day). So I'll look into solar.

The plan would be to stick a small panel (2W? 4W?), perhaps as small as those found on garden lights, on top of my handlebar bag (Ortlieb Ultimate 6). I haven't figured this thing yet. As there could be expertise here : (1) I assume removable (velcro?), but perhaps a permanent panel is a better solution. (2) What's the best way to run the cable; (3) The usual recommendation is to charge a battery rather than a device such as a phone, to deal with current fluctuation. Does it apply even if the device is turned off? The plan would be to trickle charge my phone, set to off, and to recharge my watch from the phone when needed (4) Are all panels just the same (i.e. just a few manufacturers yet tons of retail brands). If not, which is best and why?

Last edited by gauvins; 09-20-21 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-20-21, 09:51 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Androids might work off. iPhones turn on when charging. All panels are not the same. In the wattage you want there is one some hikers like. You have to do your own research though.
https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Portab...dp/B06Y655DJD/
Old 09-20-21, 05:09 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
The usual recommendation is to charge a battery rather than a device such as a phone, to deal with current fluctuation. Does it apply even if the device is turned off? The plan would be to trickle charge my phone, set to off, and to recharge my watch from the phone when needed
Probably. Phones can be pretty sensitive about the charge level they'll accept, and if your charger is providing too little current, the phone may just ignore it. It's more sophisticated and more finicky than hooking up a car battery to a trickle charger.
Old 09-20-21, 05:45 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 1,563 Posts
maybe look into what solar panels are sold for backpacking.
This is an idea that has been around for decades, and the uninitiated eventually discover that they didn't account for the fact that solar panels need to be oriented at the proper angle towards the sun to get their rated output, the panel temperature needs to be cool, there can't be shade on the panel, the voltage of the device being charged needs to be matched to the panel's characteristics, and need to account for cloudy days and such.

There's got to be plenty of places on the web where this has been hashed out over and over (and possibly here).
Not saying it can't be done, but not as simply and economically as you might hope.

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-21-21, 07:35 AM
gauvins

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Not saying it can't be done, but not as simply and economically as you might hope.

Steve in Peoria
Perhaps... but technology is rapidly progressing. My energy needs have been greatly reduced and solar panel technology now delivers more efficiently and cheaply. I'll try a couple of things and eventually report.
Likes For gauvins:
Old 09-21-21, 08:12 AM
gauvins

Originally Posted by BikeLite
Androids might work off. iPhones turn on when charging. All panels are not the same. In the wattage you want there is one some hikers like. You have to do your own research though.
https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Portab...dp/B06Y655DJD/
Thanks for the pointer. I ended up purchasing a smaller (and cheaper) unit that'll fit inside Ortlieb's Ultimate transparent sleeve. Will update when I receive it and have had the time to take a few measurements.
Likes For gauvins:
Old 09-21-21, 09:04 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 1,563 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Perhaps... but technology is rapidly progressing. My energy needs have been greatly reduced and solar panel technology now delivers more efficiently and cheaply. I'll try a couple of things and eventually report.
I've played around with solar panels for a long time, both professionally and as a hobbyist, and they really have improved. I currently have a simple 5W(?) automotive panel that I use to charge a battery pack for a radio, mostly just for fun. It's much too big to put on a handlebar bag, and I'd be surprised if I'm getting even 2 watts out of it when it is connected to the 6V battery pack.

There must be some backpacking, or maybe bike packing, forums that have found the best options for this sort of thing. In any case, your search should be an interesting adventure!
I'll be looking forward to a report when you find something that works.

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-22-21, 06:46 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I do some non-biking trips (kayak or canoe) of up to two weeks long without any form of resupply. Thus, my dynohub option does not work on those trips. And my backpacking trips always have re-supply after no more than six days.

I reassessed solar a few months ago after looking at what Happy Feet was doing. But in my reassessment, I concluded that carrying batteries (in my case mostly AA, not very much Li Ion) was less weight than the weight of solar. And if I am not searching out sunlight, the batteries were more convenient.

I just finished a week and a half long backpacking trip last week, that involved re-supply for food after no more than four day long segments, each resupply of food also included four more AA batteries for my GPS and headlamp, and camera batteries (Li Ion). My phone was either off or airplane mode except a few minutes per day, I carried three phone batteries (an LG phone that has user replaceable batteries), and never needed to change one.

A quick note on Li Ion batteries, if at all possible you should minimize using cold batteries. I learned on my Canadian Maritimes trip two years ago that using my phone for just a few minutes to get weather forecasts and check e-mail with a cold battery in the morning could consume 10 percent of my battery. After that I always warmed up my phone, either in sleeping bag or in a pocket under my down vest before I used it which greatly extended battery life.

I recently learned that my favorite AA and AAA batteries that were Ikea Ladda white NiMH rechargeables have been replaced with different models. I have plenty off the white ones, but I am no longer suggesting any particular brands for purchase, as I have no experience with their replacements.

At this thread if you start at post 53, you find a "conversation" between me and Happy Feet. There may be some useful info for you there.
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...choices-3.html

For touring, I use a powerbank with 44 watt hour rating, that powerbank will work in pass through mode, meaning it can be charged simultaneously with being discharged to charge up a USB device. My powerbank is no longer made, the company makes bigger and smaller ones. They cost more than many others, but I am sold on them, brand is Voltaic. If you had their smaller one, you could go for a long time with cloudy sky if you were relying on solar.
https://voltaicsystems.com/battery-packs
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 09-24-21, 11:35 PM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
If you decide on solar, get a small battery pack that does pass through charging. It'll "collect" whatever charge it can, while putting out a constant charge to your device. Some of them will do pass through wireless charging too (wirelessly charge a device while being charged).

I have one that I use with my Brompton w/Dyno hub.
Old 10-29-21, 12:54 AM
JohnFord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I took

Sunway Solar Car Battery Trickle Charger & Maintainer 12V

and have no problems!