Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How was your bike stolen?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How was your bike stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 01:03 PM
xodondum

Bikes: 17 Cannondale Synapse C; 17 DB Podium; 15 Trek Marlin 5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how did it fit inside a porta potty!?

Originally Posted by Hardrock23
I always bring the bike into the bathroom with me...whether its a porta potty, gas station, or even a Rec center bathroom.
I've seen a guy take a bike inside the bathroom at S.C.T., I guess I don't blame him. I was a little worried myself using the restroom and leaving it outside. but for a restroom break I now just use a cable lock. I did buy a U lock but it's overkill (and too heavy) for a quick restroom break.

Last edited by xodondum; 07-11-17 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-11-17, 04:10 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xodondum
how did it fit inside a porta potty!?

I've seen a guy take a bike inside the bathroom at S.C.T., I guess I don't blame him. I was a little worried myself using the restroom and leaving it outside. but for a restroom break I now just use a cable lock. I did buy a U lock but it's overkill (and too heavy) for a quick restroom break.

All the ones around here were replaced with really big ones, I suppose for those in wheel chairs and such. You walk in and there is a large empty space in front of you and to the left is the potty. I only see the little single ones at construction sites usually.
Old 07-12-17, 06:31 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
My roadbike and a mountain bike were stolen in 1990 in Monrovia, Liberia when my house was looted during the Liberian civil war.
Old 07-13-17, 10:57 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Back in the good old days I used to leave my bike unlocked, in the front yard, until I learned my lesson.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-13-17, 11:02 AM
stumpjumper
Lagomorph Demonicus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
back in the early 2000's I had a guy break into my car at the time (Mitsubishi eclipse) and take the partly disassembled hardtail in the hatch by dragging it out over the front seat/dash. not the brightest bulb as he could have simply opened the hatch once he was in. also took all my silver change... but left the pennies. Seriously.

I found the bike at a pawn shop and bought it back for $60. guy who pawned it went to jail for 18 months for possession of stolen property.
Old 07-13-17, 03:21 PM
tomba

Bikes: Trek DS4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stumpjumper
I found the bike at a pawn shop and bought it back for $60. guy who pawned it went to jail for 18 months for possession of stolen property.
I'd make every effort to visit that guy in jail every day for all 18 months. Bring a nice steak, a bottle of good whisky, some smokes, and flaunt them under his nose (regardless if I smoke or drink).
Old 07-13-17, 07:15 PM
Tape2012

Bikes: 2017 Ribble CX5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tape2012

Originally Posted by Barabaika
Get a vintage Japanese $150 bike from Craigslist and stop worrying.
Many thieves steal expensive parts even if you lock your bike.

Some parts that are less attractive to thieves:
* 27" wheels
* mixte frames
* 1" quill stems
* small-speed drivetrains especially non-indexed
Around here most bikes are stolen just to make a quick buck to buy drugs.

Mine was stolen out of my apt 1car garage just after a ride. I normally store it inside my apt with me, but put it in the garage for about an hour because I planned to go back out and didn't want to carry it up the stairs. I'm pretty sure they stole it only because it looked expensive.
I know that the SF area cops use road bikes as bait bikes because the value of them makes it a felony and worth their time.
My bikes never leave my sight while riding, I'll carry food with me and pee in the bushes if I have to.
Old 07-14-17, 06:18 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2024 Trek Domane SL5, 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Extra condolences to all you who have had more than one bike stolen. One would be bad enough.

I found a fairly heavy python cable lock that I forgot I had. It's in the bike bag now. I have taken the suggestion to take the bike with me into the restroom when using the local park MUP.

I'm just waiting for someone to look at me funny or say something for coming out of the bathroom with my bike. I'm going to tell them “You don't want to know what the two of us were doing in there.”
Likes For Tony_G:
Old 07-14-17, 08:01 PM
bikingtotown

Bikes: 15 Giant anyroad 1, 16 Trek farley 9.6, 15 Trek domane 5.2 c

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Left on side of the house unlocked at a house party. Not even the dumbest thing I did that night.
Old 07-14-17, 08:15 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Marley
My roadbike and a mountain bike were stolen in 1990 in Monrovia, Liberia when my house was looted during the Liberian civil war.
That doesn't count,,, civil wars or public lootings are exempt from survey,,,,sorry
Old 07-14-17, 08:17 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingtotown
Left on side of the house unlocked at a house party. Not even the dumbest thing I did that night.
Does that other thing involve penicillin???
Likes For Fastfingaz:
Old 09-26-21, 05:42 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Oaky.

First, spend as much on the lock as it takes to feel secure. Your bike will never be secure, but f you buy a really expensive, heavy, awkward lock you might Feel secure.

So .... spend six grand on a nice, lightweight bike, and add four pounds of metal which you will hardly ever use.

If you never leave your bike unattended outdoors, you don't need a lock (There have been members here (I think @indyfabz?) who lost their bikes from inside their apartments---not garages---so you aren't safe at home either.)

If you want to stop joyriders from stealing your bike while in the portalet, take out the skewers and take the front wheel. The bike will be obviously unrideable. Crack heads and meth addicts might take it anyway.

If your bike is nice enough to attract a real thief, your only hope is to take care of business, more quickly than he can saw through the lock---and video has shown that thieves can saw through Any lock. The issue you face here is splashing and dripping---trying to get your bibs back on in time to run out and grab the thief. Me, I'd just jump out half-naked---which would be cool if I caught a thief, but not so cool in a nun leading a troop of girl scouts thought your bike was going to fall and was just setting it up more securely.

if you ride in places where theft is likely, get cheap locks---because you will lose them---and cheap bikes, because you will lose them. If I needed to lock up on a college campus, I would never ride anything that cost more than a textbook.

For your trail situation----I have a Very cheezy cable about 1/8 " in diameter, and an even cheezier combo lock meant for temporarily securing a motorcycle helmet---but I never use it. If I cannot use the facilities safely, I will find a dumpster of some sort of cover ..... or I will take the front wheel with me if a portalet is the only option.

At some point you have to ask, what is the benefit of riding a really nice, lightweight bike if you have to weigh it down with four pounds of lock and chain, and would it not make more sense to ride a less desirable bike in those circumstances?
Old 09-26-21, 06:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Oaky.

First, spend as much on the lock as it takes to feel secure. Your bike will never be secure, but f you buy a really expensive, heavy, awkward lock you might Feel secure.

So .... spend six grand on a nice, lightweight bike, and add four pounds of metal which you will hardly ever use.

If you never leave your bike unattended outdoors, you don't need a lock (There have been members here (I think @indyfabz?) who lost their bikes from inside their apartments---not garages---so you aren't safe at home either.)

If you want to stop joyriders from stealing your bike while in the portalet, take out the skewers and take the front wheel. The bike will be obviously unrideable. Crack heads and meth addicts might take it anyway.

If your bike is nice enough to attract a real thief, your only hope is to take care of business, more quickly than he can saw through the lock---and video has shown that thieves can saw through Any lock. The issue you face here is splashing and dripping---trying to get your bibs back on in time to run out and grab the thief. Me, I'd just jump out half-naked---which would be cool if I caught a thief, but not so cool in a nun leading a troop of girl scouts thought your bike was going to fall and was just setting it up more securely.

if you ride in places where theft is likely, get cheap locks---because you will lose them---and cheap bikes, because you will lose them. If I needed to lock up on a college campus, I would never ride anything that cost more than a textbook.

For your trail situation----I have a Very cheezy cable about 1/8 " in diameter, and an even cheezier combo lock meant for temporarily securing a motorcycle helmet---but I never use it. If I cannot use the facilities safely, I will find a dumpster of some sort of cover ..... or I will take the front wheel with me if a portalet is the only option.

At some point you have to ask, what is the benefit of riding a really nice, lightweight bike if you have to weigh it down with four pounds of lock and chain, and would it not make more sense to ride a less desirable bike in those circumstances?
It was my house, and I feel safe if I don’t forget to lock the door. Just got back from 2 weeks on the road, with cat sitters coming twice a day every day. The $6K+ bike was right where I left it.

Rarely locked the bike while on tour. Only in Burlington, VT did I use my lock while sleeping in my tent.

BTW…Happy zombie thread.
Old 09-26-21, 09:46 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
I had a 3 speed that I used for commuting. I locked it with a U lock on a pole. I was in a hurry and did not notice that there was no sign on the pole. Somebody placed garbage cans near the pole and lifted the bike up and off of the pole.
Old 09-26-21, 12:31 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Long ago, about 1984 (?), stopped at the Ponce deLeon Sears in Atlanta to pick up a mail order purchase on the way home from work. Left my Schwinn LeTour commuter leaning against the front window and ran inside. It was gone when I came out a few minutes later. Always secured my bike while at work (lock/cable stayed there) but didn't usually carry a lock. Live and learn, eh? Still don't usually carry a lock but do if it might be needed.