Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Transitions lenses

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Transitions lenses

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 03:54 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Transitions lenses

After too many years of painfully wind blown eyes from winter riding I am looking at a pair of Wiley X Gravity sunglasses. They have a removable foam gasket to better reduce air flow. One option is transitions lenses. Curious what the experience is for those who use them. It could make them much more useful. My concern is going from shaded to open areas.
Thanks
Old 05-13-20, 06:38 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
After too many years of painfully wind blown eyes from winter riding I am looking at a pair of Wiley X Gravity sunglasses. They have a removable foam gasket to better reduce air flow. One option is transitions lenses.

Curious what the experience is for those who use them. It could make them much more useful. My concern is going from shaded to open areas.
I wear prescription eyeglasses and I have previously posted to this thread:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Photochromic Sunglasses - thoughts?"

I don't like them, and I wear my non-tinted glasses when riding in bright sunlight. I never wore sunglasses anyways before I got them. I find they diminish contrast on bright days. In particular when riding into the sun,

I especially lose contrast when looking into my rearview mirror. I think it's because my pupils constrict even with the photochromes on, yet the lenses are already darkened.

My preference is for a billed baseball cap under my helmet.
Old 05-13-20, 08:45 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
After too many years of painfully wind blown eyes from winter riding I am looking at a pair of Wiley X Gravity sunglasses. They have a removable foam gasket to better reduce air flow. One option is transitions lenses. Curious what the experience is for those who use them. It could make them much more useful. My concern is going from shaded to open areas.
Thanks
Most transition lenses get dark fairly quickly, but it takes a lot longer for them to go back to clear. I don't like transition lenses because they don't get dark enough.
Old 05-13-20, 08:49 AM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
The transition time from full light to full dark or full dark to full light is more than 10 seconds. I feel that transition lenses aren’t good for cycling glasses, there’s not enough darkness in sunlight and they lack contrast.
Old 05-13-20, 09:00 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
IMO it takes too much time to go back to clear. Not worth it.

I ride with sunglasses that have very low tint (I like Oakley's Prizm technology). I don't have any issues keeping them on even in the shade.

Last edited by eduskator; 05-13-20 at 09:07 AM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 05-13-20, 04:51 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
I have been wearing Transition since the '80's and they have most definitely improved. Now wearing Progressive Transition when awake and even sleeping at times. What ever floats your boat.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-13-20, 05:57 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I don't like transitions either but I haven't had any for about 20 years and I hear they are better now. I have fairly dark tinted oakley's and I have no problems going from bright sunlight to shade or vice versa so just don't see a need.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 05-13-20, 06:18 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
I have pair of Oakleys with Iridium lenses for summer, and transition for winter. I like it.
Old 05-13-20, 07:56 PM
pattrick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
work for me?

I often use a pair of Oakley transition glasses, I find them very useful. After reading an article on a British site about their favorite kit items and these glasses being mentioned I decided to take the leap. I tend to get dry eyes while riding and being light blue eyed the sun can give me headaches,especially in the winter when the sun is filtering through the trees almost strobe like in areas. These Oakleys seem to do everything I could want. Going through heavily shaded areas between the hills to the brighter flats the glasses never miss a beat. While they may not be perfect for extreme bright days they are extremely versatile. I have even used them for night rides. Much like the opinions of the British site I find these glasses quite useful for a great variety of rides. I am amazed by some of the negative reviews? Possibly much earlier versions? All I can say is I love mine.
Old 05-13-20, 10:31 PM
shaun3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
I think modern photo-chromatic lenses made with for sports activities have come a long way. I bought a pair of Julbo sunglasses about a year ago. They are AMAZING. The advertised Visible Light Transmission range is 12%-87%. To my un-scientific eye it looks like they go from nearly clear to nearly black. I can put them on in the garage and ride out into a bright sunny afternoon with no problem so I guess they transition pretty quickly. They are certainly able to keep up with the setting sun.

Link, if you’re interested. They’re pricey but I fully expect to get many years out of them. You want the Translucent Black/Gray with the 0-3 lens.https://www.julbo.com/en_us/sunglass...6=159&318=4928
Old 05-14-20, 04:38 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I have prescription glasses and absolutely love the transitions! Get them.
Old 05-14-20, 01:27 PM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Based on the first few I was inclined against, but those from current wearers got me to go for them. I have situations where it is early morning or dark enough that having variable tint can make the glasses much more useful. I am also looking forward to winter rides without painfully windburned eyes!
Old 05-14-20, 01:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
I've been around people who have about 5 pairs of glasses, and are constantly changing from clear to sunglasses. What a pain.

The photogrey lenses work for me. Been using them for decades.

Now, one pair to rule them all.

Photogrey, progressive, glass safety glasses (although I have learned to wear goggles when grinding to prevent metal pock marks in the lenses).
Old 05-15-20, 02:45 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I got a pair of Oakley transitions (Flak Jacket 2 XL) and they're perfect for me. Just dark enough for comfort (most sunglasses are way too dark IMO), and perfectly clear when cleared up. Sure they take maybe 5-10 seconds to respond, but what is this compared to? Glasses that don't change at all? Stopping and changing? Faffing about with flip ups and clip ons? Photochromics are a massive win IMO. It's much worse to me to be caught out after dark or in deep forested shade with dark glasses than squinting a little in sunlight for a few seconds.

In fact, I liked them so much I got another pair of regular, progressive photochromic glasses for everyday wear. Not so great for cycling or motorcycling though (unlike the Flak Jackets they're not ballistic rated). But I'm never again caught out without reading glasses and unable to even read a menu! Outdoors or indoors. Night or day.
Old 05-16-20, 07:11 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Davet
The transition time from full light to full dark or full dark to full light is more than 10 seconds. I feel that transition lenses aren’t good for cycling glasses, there’s not enough darkness in sunlight and they lack contrast.
Maybe it depends on the brand? I find my Tifosis are dark enough in the light, but not light enough to wear in low-light conditions (dusk).

I agree about the transition time. The tech needs work before it gets to the stage of a true reacting lens.
Old 05-16-20, 08:30 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I have two pair of transition lenses from Oakley. One gets real dark, but not very light and the other is the opposite. I usually where them when the weather is looking variable.