Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Use stuff sacks or not?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Use stuff sacks or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-21, 10:48 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I tour with two panniers, one stays dry and one can get wet. All insulation, clothing and maps go in a trash compactor bag in the dry side, while tools, spares, tent and food can get wet in the other side.
This has raised my curiosity! Why do you specifically use a trash compactor bag? Durability? Size? Do tell!

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I don’t get the putting a sleeping bag into panniers or bikepacking bags.
Neither do I. Anything I place in my Ortliebs must be clean and dry, and I'm pretty anal about it. I carry my sleeping bag just like you do. I also put other wet items in the same bag as my tent. When I am riding, and the weather is dry again, I'll open the bag, drape the tent in a fashion that it will expose as much wet fabric to the open air, strap it down, and let it dry. I'll refold/re-strap it as I go about my day. If there is a nice breeze or sunny or both, its usually dry well before its time to set it up again. If its a rainy couple of days, I just try to keep it clean between setups.

Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I would rather have warmer gear than I need than to end up freezing at night. Been there, done that. Don't want to do it again.
BTDT as well. I get colder as I'm aging. I can tolerate heat quite well now, but cold is... c-c-c-cold!
Old 09-25-21, 12:04 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
Neither do I. Anything I place in my Ortliebs must be clean and dry, and I'm pretty anal about it. I carry my sleeping bag just like you do. I also put other wet items in the same bag as my tent. When I am riding, and the weather is dry again, I'll open the bag, drape the tent in a fashion that it will expose as much wet fabric to the open air, strap it down, and let it dry. I'll refold/re-strap it as I go about my day. If there is a nice breeze or sunny or both, its usually dry well before its time to set it up again. If its a rainy couple of days, I just try to keep it clean between setups.
I’m still not getting this putting a tent inside a pannier thing. I just don’t see the reason. First and foremost, every tent I’ve owned is too large to go into a pannier. My current tent is 19” long when packed. An Ortlieb Back Roller Classic is 16” x 9” which, when you do the math has a diagonal of just over 18”. The poles stick out of the top and the bag can’t be rolled. Separating the tent and the poles makes zero sense to me as they are a neat little package that is easy to carry. And, since the tent is made to endure weather, leaving it to ride out in the elements isn’t an issue.

I can see the sleeping bag in a pannier…although it does just fine outside…but the tent? Why?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-25-21, 01:24 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
This has raised my curiosity! Why do you specifically use a trash compactor bag? Durability? Size? Do tell!
Because it's durable, easy to patch with tape if it does get a hole, and mainly because it's white and easy to see stuff inside! One bag will last me years and hundreds of nights of travel, and is plenty big enough for all my insulation.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 09-25-21, 01:31 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

I’m still not getting this putting a tent inside a pannier thing. I just don’t see the reason. First and foremost, every tent I’ve owned is too large to go into a pannier. My current tent is 19” long when packed. An Ortlieb Back Roller Classic is 16” x 9” which, when you do the math has a diagonal of just over 18”. The poles stick out of the top and the bag can’t be rolled. Separating the tent and the poles makes zero sense to me as they are a neat little package that is easy to carry. And, since the tent is made to endure weather, leaving it to ride out in the elements isn’t an issue.

I can see the sleeping bag in a pannier…although it does just fine outside…but the tent? Why?
I think everyone sees the bag (pannier) and immediately feel the need to stuff it full of... stuff. Feeling a little Carlin-esque right now!

I think that human nature has a role to play in this. We do things because we think its a good idea, but we rarely see the road beyond the corner if you know what I mean. It is a good thing to be able to foresee the dramatic effects of wetness/dampness inside your bags, and what it will do to all of your other gear. It is a sign of a seasoned traveler.
Old 09-25-21, 01:32 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Because it's durable, easy to patch with tape if it does get a hole, and mainly because it's white and easy to see stuff inside! One bag will last me years and hundreds of nights of travel, and is plenty big enough for all my insulation.
I'm going to try it!
Old 09-25-21, 02:16 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts

I always carry my tent in the front right pannier. Sometimes I use the pannier as a stuff sack, sometimes the tent is in its own sack in the pannier. Other stuff in that pannier is stuff that does not matter if it gets wet.

After the trip in the photo below, I cut new tent poles with more segments so that the poles will fold up short enough to fit in the pannier. But in the photo, the poles would not fit in the front pannier, the poles are in the green bag on top of the rear rack.

I always put my sleeping bag in a rear pannier near the top.

I am not saying what i am doing is right. This is just the way I do it. If you want to do it differently, go ahead.

Half a century ago a scout leader taught me that you always use redundancies to make sure your sleeping bag stays dry, he learned that in the Navy in WW II. And there have been a few times that I was glad he taught me that years ago. So, I see nothing wrong with a waterproof compression sack inside of a waterproof Ortlieb which is what I usually use.

I usually have a dry bag or an Ortlieb Rack Pac on top of the rear rack, but that usually is mostly full of food. In the photo above, I was two days from home, had so little food left that the food and food drybag fit in a pannier instead of on top of the rack.