Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 10-16-14, 07:35 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Thanks for the reply; looks like a good route in a pleasant sector of the Metroverse. A usual long Saturday ride for me is an extended route from Kenmore Square to Norwood, and incorporating that segment would be about fifty miles as I reckon. Time though grows short for such excursions, but it's in the queue.
The route in Woburn has some bits on fairly busy roads, but the hills are on residential roads and the ride around Winchester golf course is nice, but most stuff in Winchester is nice.

Last edited by nun; 10-16-14 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-17-14, 11:48 AM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
It's an 18 mile loop around Arlington, Winchester and Woburn with 1800ft of climbing.....a fair amount is above 10%. It's a good way to get a quick workout if you are in the area.

NEBC Wednesday Night Hill Ride at Bikely.com

nun, just to provide some contrast to your excellent ride from southwest MetroBoston, my ride today was 23 miles at 13 mph and according to my phone app 984 feet of climbing. It could easily have been half that climbing because a fair amount was weaving around back roads along the Charles River flood plain in Millis and Medfield. No photos but the flood plain is all shades of gold, brown, red and the oak's resilient dark greens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
17oct14 tree ride.jpg (44.8 KB, 64 views)
Old 10-17-14, 05:37 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 872 Posts
Spun up to Lexington Center and back, 10 miles, leaving just after sunset, out in the twilight and back in the dark, with the Night Chorus singing an autumnal postlude. Shorts and short sleeves for that, how many more times this year will that happen?

rod
Old 10-17-14, 06:43 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
How do you get to the Head of the Charles?

Practice!

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-06-18 at 10:52 AM. Reason: photobucket
Old 10-17-14, 07:09 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Yesterday was a no-go bikewise for commuting so today was especially welcome. The weather was lovely, a bit humid and cool, the traffic heavy but a non-factor for most of my commute. I got an early start so many of the school children were still out waiting for their buses. At one intersection on Woburn St always populated with children and parents when I'm early enough we exchanged waves, a place we've exchanged waves before. Those children must enjoy their school experience because they never seem distressed to be going. Or maybe that's just a feature of a young child's morning.

This morning's commute had another pleasant experience. While bombing down the Lexington St hill toward Four Corners I spied a lovely woman, all kitted-up, her blonde hair streaming from under her helmet, running fast downhill a hundred yards ahead of me on some sort of modern bike I wouldn't recognize except that it was obviously a bike, had obviously been ridden a lot, and was considerably newer than any bike I own. That was appropriate because she was considerably newer than I am too. I caught up with her at the stoplight and waited behind her. We exchanged no words. When the light changed both took off. We ran together for the full mile to where Burlington St comes in on the left and Lexington St changes name to Pleasant St. She pointed out every little pavement seam, gas line access cap, and bump, so she must have been used to riding in a paceline. I didn't have the heart to tell her thanks but it wasn't necessary since I've ridden that stretch almost every work day since April and know every inch of it. We both rode though a small patch of broken glass which she didn't see or didn't have the time to point out, but neither of us suffered a flat. (There is always a patch of glass somewhere along that stretch.)

She rode briskly, about as fast as I like to ride it most days unless I'm feeling tired. On the sharp uphill just before the downhill to Burlington St I hung with her as she stood on her pedals. I just did what I always do there, just shift down and spin faster, one of the nice things about having a bike with customized gears. When we reached Burlington St she signaled a left turn and peeled off. I called out "Have a nice ride" and she answered something like "See ya'." I doubt she'll see me again, or I her. That's okay. It was a nice mile in the middle of a nice commute.

The run home was peaceful, except for all those danged cars. Where did they all come from? Where are they all going?

Last edited by jimmuller; 10-17-14 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-17-14, 07:37 PM
Bishbike

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Eros, 2013 Peter Mooney Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
It's an 18 mile loop around Arlington, Winchester and Woburn with 1800ft of climbing.....a fair amount is above 10%. It's a good way to get a quick workout if you are in the area.

NEBC Wednesday Night Hill Ride at Bikely.com

Nun, that is a killer ride that is on my list, although i have ridden some of those hills before. Not for the faint of heart...
Old 10-17-14, 07:56 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
nun, just to provide some contrast to your excellent ride from southwest MetroBoston, my ride today was 23 miles at 13 mph and according to my phone app 984 feet of climbing. It could easily have been half that climbing because a fair amount was weaving around back roads along the Charles River flood plain in Millis and Medfield. No photos but the flood plain is all shades of gold, brown, red and the oak's resilient dark greens.
I sometimes get down to Medfield via Dover and stop in Wellesley for an ice cream.........

On the topic of hills another nice route if you are in Concord and want to get back to metro Boston is to go past Walden Pond, take a left onto Baker Bridge road and go through Lincoln onto Trapelo Road. Just follow that all the way into Belmont and you can throw in a ride up to Arlington Heights or Belmont Hill School to finish.

Last edited by nun; 10-17-14 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-17-14, 08:06 PM
Bishbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
53 mile group ride today through Belmont, Lincoln, Concord, and Carlisle. Chilly to start but warmed up rather nicely.

10/17/14 - Belmont, MA

Saw a snapping turtle tring to cross Mill St. in Lincoln at Hobbs Brook. he nearly got hit a couple of times, as the point in the road at which he was trying to cross was flanked by 2 sharp corners. Being good samaritans, we dismounted and directed what little auto and bike traffic there was, while Andy grabbed a big stick to try and coax the turtle to move a litte faster as not to get run over. Well, the turtle tokk a snap at the stick and bit it in two, to which I replied (to paraphrase Chief Brody) "You're gonna need a bigger stick". Andy finally coaxed him back to the brook and we went on our way.

The turtle...

Made or way out to Great Brook Farm, stopping when we got back to Concord center.

Wanted to stop and take more foliage pics, but was too busy getting my tail kicked by the others in the group.

Recovery....
Attached Images
IMG_1634.jpg (106.1 KB, 65 views)
IMG_1644.jpg (94.7 KB, 61 views)
IMG_1635.jpg (99.2 KB, 61 views)
Old 10-17-14, 08:08 PM
nun

Originally Posted by Bishbike
Nun, that is a killer ride that is on my list, although i have ridden some of those hills before. Not for the faint of heart...
I was really worried about Waltham Street after I had come down it slowly for the first time, I had to stop at the Dunkin Donuts on Lexington and Rt 3 for a recovery coffee and donut, but the loop up to Burlington is gentle and gives the legs and nerves time to recover. On the way back, when I turned off Lexington and onto Waltham I was apprehensive, but found it to be ok, the gradient is scarier on the way down than on the way up. With less than 34x36 gear I think I would have found it really difficult, I imagine the roadies who do it on Wednesday night don't have a 12/36 cassette on their bikes. So if you are like me, a 50 something, 200lb, regular cyclist with a low gear it is tough, but fun and rewarding.

Last edited by nun; 10-17-14 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-17-14, 08:39 PM
Bishbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
I was really worried about Waltham Street after I had come down it slowly for the first time, I had to stop at the Dunkin Donuts on Lexington and Rt 3 for a recovery coffee and donut, but the loop up to Burlington is gentle and gives the legs and nerves time to recover. On the way back, when I turned off Lexington and onto Waltham I was apprehensive, but found it to be ok, the gradient is scarier on the way down than on the way up. With less than 34x36 gear I think I would have found it really difficult, I imagine the roadies who do it on Wednesday night don't have a 12/36 cassette on their bikes. So if you are like me, a 50 something, 200lb, regular cyclist with a low gear it is tough, but fun and rewarding.

Nun,I will have to make it over and check out Waltham St. sounds like a beast. I am riding a 53/39 with a 12-27 cassette, just hit 50 years old, and every tme I ride thoe hills up to the water tower I wish I had a 34x36.
Old 10-17-14, 09:51 PM
nun

Originally Posted by Bishbike
Nun,I will have to make it over and check out Waltham St. sounds like a beast. I am riding a 53/39 with a 12-27 cassette, just hit 50 years old, and every tme I ride thoe hills up to the water tower I wish I had a 34x36.
Here's a cue sheet

https://www.bikenewengland.com/routes...gton_hills.pdf

I started in Arlington and found the steep bit on Eastern Ave just before the school to be tough, probably because my legs were cold, but there's also a really nasty bit in Winchester on Girard Road.
Old 10-18-14, 06:54 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

A bunch of us C&V'ers rode the CCRT again today. It was a spectacular day.

Ed., me, my sweetie Sharon, otg, otg's son Jeff (or Geoff?), and bikemore.

A quick run over to the Atlantic.
Old 10-18-14, 09:44 PM
Bishbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
Here's a cue sheet

https://www.bikenewengland.com/routes...gton_hills.pdf

I started in Arlington and found the steep bit on Eastern Ave just before the school to be tough, probably because my legs were cold, but there's also a really nasty bit in Winchester on Girard Road.

Thanks Nun!
Old 10-18-14, 10:25 PM
sherbornpeddler

We headed south to ride Rhode Island's East Bay Rail Trail in search of a flat ride and to avoid rain showers. As it turned out we waited out a couple of rain showers in the East Providence parking lot just before starting out. The Warren River was gorgeous in fall colors and on the way back from Bristol we stopped for a lemonade good any time of year. 26 miles and only a couple of sprinkles
Attached Images
warren river.jpg (62.9 KB, 69 views)
dels 1.jpg (70.0 KB, 67 views)
Old 10-19-14, 01:23 PM
nun

For those interested here are a few photos from my Sunday afternoon "NEBC Wednesday Night Hill Ride"

It started with the ride up Eastern Ave. to Arlington Heights water tower

Then down Park Ave....this will be the last climb on the way back

There's a couple of little hills along the Park Ave Extension and onto Ridge St and then turn down Hutchinson and go around Winchester golf course

Follow Old Mystic St onto Rt3 briefly and then a hard left onto Arlington St, left onto High Street and eventually onto Girard St and around Mt. Pisgah

Then climb up Johnson Road

Then right when you meet Ridge St again and down Waltham St.

Form there I rode up to the junction of 128 and Rt3 and looped back, up Waltham St.....I did not do the loop out around Winchester golf course and Mt Pisgah again as I'm not a masochist, I just stayed on Ridge St. and rode back up Park Ave.

Last edited by nun; 10-19-14 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-19-14, 04:36 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
We headed south to ride Rhode Island's East Bay Rail Trail in search of a flat ride and to avoid rain showers. As it turned out we waited out a couple of rain showers in the East Providence parking lot just before starting out....26 miles and only a couple of sprinkles...
Excellent. Keep us informed!
Old 10-19-14, 04:40 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by nun
For those interested here are a few photos from my Sunday afternoon "NEBC Wednesday Night Hill Ride"
nun, nice pics. One day when I'm feeling aggressive I'll detour on my commute home and try some of those Arlington hills... Nah!

We did only 24.5 on the tandem after yesterday's CCRT ride. For several reasons we go a late start. Boy, was it nice today! Seriously later-Octoberish.
Old 10-19-14, 06:03 PM
DBrim

Bikes: 2013 Trek 7.2FX

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
A bunch of us C&V'ers rode the CCRT again today. It was a spectacular day.
I was out that way yesterday as well. Did 40 miles between Brewster, that same beach (I think), back down to Brewster, down to the rotary, and back to Brewster again. Surprised I didn't see you!
Old 10-19-14, 08:02 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by DBrim
I was out that way yesterday as well. Did 40 miles between Brewster, that same beach (I think), back down to Brewster, down to the rotary, and back to Brewster again. Surprised I didn't see you!
Maybe you did and your better judgment refused to recognized us.

From today's ride:

Old 10-19-14, 08:48 PM
rholland1951

The harvest is in progress at the Carlisle Cranberry Bog, so I rode out to see it, 39 miles through Arlington, Lexington, Bedford, and Carlisle, a cool and breezy day. This was a scene, all sorts of folks out to see the harvest, many with their little dogs, who, of course, were more interested in other little dogs. Witnessed one incident in which three King Charles spaniels got their leashes in a braid while engaged in circular wagging and sniffing. In addition to the truck, conveyor, booms, and rakes that I'd seen before, there was a guy riding a hilarious three-wheeled amphibious bog mower in a boustrophedonic pattern through the berries. The harvested berries will be available at Great Brook Farm.

I always associate the Cranberry Bog with bikinggrrrl. Hey Kat, you there? How's 2014 treating you?

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 10-20-14 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-20-14, 09:56 AM
DBrim

Bikes: 2013 Trek 7.2FX

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Maybe you did and your better judgment refused to recognized us.
Ha, well it's true that I tend to get lost in my own mind on solo rides. If you saw somebody on a dark blue/black hybrid with a large grocery style pannier on one side, that was me.

We're starting to get to peak traffic Halloween season in Salem, so even my ~10 mile recovery ride yesterday had some significant obstacles. Yesterday was the annual motorcycle day, so it was even worse than usual. Funny how somebody on two wheels and half the width of a normal car can still buzz-pass you while you're riding on the shoulder. The Marblehead Rail Trail was a welcome respite, though the leaf cover makes it harder to detect rocks and roots and things of that nature so the going is slower than it was during summer.

This morning's chill had me thinking about the months to come. This is my first year actively cycling since moving out here from an area without winter eight years ago. I don't want to stop, since I'm having too much fun right now. What do you guys do for tires? I'm not looking to bike to work in a snowstorm (I'd feel even less safe if the cars around me had even less control than usual), but something with additional traction might be helpful. I was curious about what other people here do.
Old 10-20-14, 10:07 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Ha, well it's true that I tend to get lost in my own mind on solo rides. If you saw somebody on a dark blue/black hybrid with a large grocery style pannier on one side, that was me.

We're starting to get to peak traffic Halloween season in Salem, so even my ~10 mile recovery ride yesterday had some significant obstacles. Yesterday was the annual motorcycle day, so it was even worse than usual. Funny how somebody on two wheels and half the width of a normal car can still buzz-pass you while you're riding on the shoulder. The Marblehead Rail Trail was a welcome respite, though the leaf cover makes it harder to detect rocks and roots and things of that nature so the going is slower than it was during summer.

This morning's chill had me thinking about the months to come. This is my first year actively cycling since moving out here from an area without winter eight years ago. I don't want to stop, since I'm having too much fun right now. What do you guys do for tires? I'm not looking to bike to work in a snowstorm (I'd feel even less safe if the cars around me had even less control than usual), but something with additional traction might be helpful. I was curious about what other people here do.
We were up there on Sat for a 5k, we got up there early to not be hampered by traffic, and were in the car just in time to avoid the downpour. Also, using my experience from last year, I have a good on street parking spot that isn't restricted and that I think the tourists can't typically find.

I don't ride in the snow/ice, so I can't recommend tires, but I'd highly recommend an indoor trainer. Yes, it's awful and boring, but from Dec-March, aside from a couple of nice days, it was how I got in shape over the winter. I've actually started earlier this year, due to living further from work, and am largely doing endurance rides with a weekly interval at my threshold HR.
Old 10-20-14, 11:42 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
...This morning's chill had me thinking about the months to come. This is my first year actively cycling since moving out here from an area without winter eight years ago. I don't want to stop, since I'm having too much fun right now. What do you guys do for tires? I'm not looking to bike to work in a snowstorm (I'd feel even less safe if the cars around me had even less control than usual), but something with additional traction might be helpful. I was curious about what other people here do.
For my urban commute on well-tended major roads I use Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded tires and use them continuously and exclusively from December to April.

I recently re-posted a reply to this Winter Cycling thread, “Who's ready for another long cold miserable winter?”:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…In December, the carbon fiber bike comes out of service, and studded tires go on the mountain bike for the entire winter. I have Schwalbe Marathons and they ride well on dry pavement, and are excellent for ice, hardpack, and new snow up to about three inches on my well-tended roads for my commute. The studs are still good after about six years of service on mostly wet and dry roads. As a commuter, it's too much of a hassle to change tires for daily road conditions….[/i]
I was particularly convinced by this post years ago by tsl of Rochester, NY:

Originally Posted by tsl
I dunno, maybe it's my age showing. Here in Rochester, at least along my commute, there's always ice that miraculously didn't get salted away.

I figure gunk washes off quickly and easily. Broken bones would keep me off the bike for weeks while they mend.
Old 10-20-14, 11:54 AM
rholland1951

While other approaches are possible, sooner or later you'll come to studded tires for winter riding. They make a huge difference in actual safety, and in how you approach riding. The best single information source for this is Peter White's page on studded bicycle tires (Studded Bicycle Tires). Peter lays out what's available, and what the trade-offs are. He can also sell you most of what he describes, and is very knowledgeable. The other interesting winter biking topic is clothing; Peter's suggestions there are helpful, too, but there are many other sources. Just bear in mind that there is a gamut of winter riding conditions, and what works well for one ride may fail in interesting and painful ways for another. A lot of people have developed a lot of lore about this, much of which can be found on the net.

The mother of all resources for winter riding is the Ice Bike home page (Icebike Home Page). There's an associated email list that is well worth subscribing to.

Here's a picture of my winter bike, a 1987 GT Karakoram rigid mtb shod with Nokian W240 studded tires; these have a moderately aggressive tread (for snow), and studs that extend far enough up the sides of the tires to allow climbing out of icy ruts: transformative.

That picture was taken in a pretty good snow storm on January 21, with temperatures in the low teens and a bit of wind. Here's me, dressed for conditions:

If you ride this winter, you're in for a lot of fun, but it's a different kind of fun...

rod

PS It appears that the icebike.org website, linked in this post, has been possessed by some devil or other, most likely Mammon, as of January, 2015. To see the content I was referring to, now most regrettably lost, have a look at the Internet Archive's last crawl of the site, on December 17, 2014; this link should work: https://web.archive.org/web/20141217...//icebike.org/
God bless the Wayback Machine and its operators. They'd be happy to get a tax-deductible charitable contribution.

Last edited by rholland1951; 12-16-16 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-20-14, 05:01 PM
sherbornpeddler

Even seasonal cool weather gave no signs of snow or winter thoughts. We did ride the Upper Charles Trail from Central St in Holliston (aka aforementioned Mudville) on the leaf covered new stone dust and leaf covered rolling dirt sections, then on to the Rt. 109 crossing and switched to Rt 16 up to the donut shop and north back on the trail to the Louisa Lake dam. n our way back we did follow the trail south across Rt. 16 to the Senior Center parking lot and the old depot where the active but unused freight tracks combine with the Grafton and Upton RR from the north and go south all the way to Forge Park in Franklin.

Why is there not a noisy plan to add commuter service on the CSX freight rail between Milford and Franklin and on to Boston?

We admired the Depot building then got expert and precise urban archeology insight from a member of the Milford Highway Department and hoped on the new trail connection on Mt. Pleasant St and rode north to the Rt. 109 crossing. When I say new, I mean new. We walked around the asphalt top coat as it was being meticulously laid down and rolled by a friendly crew that clearly take pride in their work. We rode back to our start and celebrated with fresh hot Massachusetts apple cider. 15 miles. What a pleasant day.
Attached Images

Last edited by sherbornpeddler; 10-20-14 at 05:07 PM. Reason: added map

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.