Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Honest opinion piece on disc brakes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-14-21, 01:04 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts

Just read The Russian Crank opinion piece about Chris Froome's comment on disc brakes and how they are becoming mandatory. Below is quoted from the piece and really does sum things up with complete accuracy.

"They started their life like any other new product on the market. People who liked them, bought bikes with disc brakes. Everyone else ignored the fad.It would have stayed that way if not for this caveat — you can’t buy just a pair of disc brakes and install them on your bike. If you want them, you need a new a bike. And who wants to sell more bikes?

This is where the sponsorship angle came in. Make the pros use disc brakes, spin some marketing ******** about stopping power and rain and boom, sell more bike."
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 02-14-21, 01:06 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Oh, another thread about disc brakes.
Old 02-14-21, 01:06 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
Old 02-14-21, 01:07 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
I wouldn’t buy a new bike that wasn’t thru axle and disc brakes no matter what the online cognoscenti thinks.
Old 02-14-21, 01:19 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
It doesn't take a big conspiracy to sell people a better braking system.
Old 02-14-21, 01:30 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
Oh fer cryin out loud. It could not possibly be that people (including pros) prefer the feel/performance of discs that caused their popularity. No, it must be the evil marketing people that are forcing us to buy new bikes with disc brakes and we're all going to lose our limbs from razor sharp rotors cutting them off.

If it wasn't for those evil corporate marketers, Ferraris would still have the vastly superior drum brakes as God intended.
Old 02-14-21, 01:49 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I think it's worth separating experienced / enthusiast cyclists from casual cyclists and beginners. I put myself somewhere in between. I own multiple bikes that have different braking systems, including caliper, disc, and coaster. They all stop my bike. I know their limitations. I don't exceed their capabilities.

On the other hand, I've also known beginners, or people who gave up cycling and then took it up again, reporting to me that the difference between disc and rim brakes is like night and day. One friend thinks the difference is so profound that rim brakes are dangerous and should be outlawed. If they have ridden both kinds of bikes, chances are the disc brake bike is newer. Many older bikes may have never had properly adjusted and maintained brakes. For whatever reason, the impression about disc brakes is pretty strong. And this is from people who have no awareness or interest in what kind of gear the pro's are using.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 02-14-21, 02:24 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I am with German_Chris on this one, I wouldn't purchase a bike that wasn't disk brake or thru axles and I will also add to that list electronic shifting.

All these advancements enhance my cycling experience. This idea that manufacturers force us to buy new bikes is ludicrous. Consumers speak with their dollars, and if something that doesn't sell, then the bike companies stop making it. See a pair of Synergy wheels, or a Trimble mountain bike or the Buddy Bike lately? They are hundreds of examples of cycling products that just didn't work out and they die a slow death until something better comes along.
Old 02-14-21, 02:36 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,872 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
I am with German_Chris on this one, I wouldn't purchase a bike that wasn't disk brake or thru axles and I will also add to that list electronic shifting.

All these advancements enhance my cycling experience. This idea that manufacturers force us to buy new bikes is ludicrous. Consumers speak with their dollars, and if something that doesn't sell, then the bike companies stop making it. See a pair of Synergy wheels, or a Trimble mountain bike or the Buddy Bike lately? They are hundreds of examples of cycling products that just didn't work out and they die a slow death until something better comes along.
Now you've done it.

I suspect that with both disc brakes and electronic shifting in this thread, it might get us through to the spring riding weather.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-14-21, 02:42 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,153 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Now you've done it.

I suspect that with both disc brakes and electronic shifting in this thread, it might get us through to the spring riding weather.
You'll know spring has sprung when the first Waving Thread returns to its breeding ground.
Old 02-14-21, 02:42 PM
Bimmer69

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
At least it’s not about chain lube

For the record I am pro-rim brake.
Likes For Bimmer69:
Old 02-14-21, 02:43 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud

Yes, I have seen Spinergy wheels recently, and seen them being used. There is a steady market for them, they fetch good prices. Once the sale is closed, the sale is closed. Once a consumer is emotionally invested in a product no further information will make the slightest difference.
Old 02-14-21, 03:20 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
You'll know spring has sprung when the first Waving Thread returns to its breeding ground.
Disc brakes and electronic shifting allow me to keep one hand ready to wave, at a moments notice.
Old 02-14-21, 03:57 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Some bike manufacturers are doing a good job of keeping rim brakes as an option just as car manufacturers are keeping manual transmissions available...

...kind of in-secret, you gotta look deep in their entire product line to find what you want if what you want is the not-new thing.
Old 02-14-21, 04:20 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
rim brakes stop you quicker. at least with what I compare the with
Old 02-14-21, 04:30 PM
Shark86x

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hsuBM
Some bike manufacturers are doing a good job of keeping rim brakes as an option just as car manufacturers are keeping manual transmissions available...

...kind of in-secret, you gotta look deep in their entire product line to find what you want if what you want is the not-new thing.
Hey, I still ride my ol' 1968 Schwinn canary yellow Super Sport. I refuse to get anything newer because they have those nasty newfangled indexed shifters.

Oh, and those old rim brakes are great, I've never stopped too fast and flew over the handlebars and I never get tired of the constant adjusting. It makes me feel handy.
Likes For Shark86x:
Old 02-14-21, 04:33 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
And it was no more than two or three years ago when I posted that disc brakes would take over the market because they were a superior brake. At that time I took a lot of abuse for my prediction.

There remains two overridding reasons that discs are superior. Better stopping power in the wet, and they dont ruin high priced rims.

Disc brakes in the beginning suffered the old foggyism that seems to run rampant in the cycling community. I remember very well how the "real cyclist" resisted click shifting, and clipless pedals.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 02-14-21, 04:42 PM
Koyote

Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,872 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
And it was no more than two or three years ago when I posted that disc brakes would take over the market because they were a superior brake. At that time I took a lot of abuse for my prediction.

There remains two overridding reasons that discs are superior. Better stopping power in the wet, and they dont ruin high priced rims.

Disc brakes in the beginning suffered the old foggyism that seems to run rampant in the cycling community. I remember very well how the "real cyclist" resisted click shifting, and clipless pedals.
Since you appreciate new tech so much, you must love carbon fiber.
Old 02-14-21, 04:58 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM
I was furious when they obsoleted drum brakes! They never warped or got dust on your wheels.
Old 02-14-21, 05:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Since you appreciate new tech so much, you must love carbon fiber.
Contradicting himself is part of his schtick.

And it’s not as if he needs them for the slow, flat trail riding he claims he does.
Old 02-14-21, 05:47 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Is that sort of like the swallows returning to Capistrano?
Old 02-14-21, 09:58 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,153 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Is that sort of like the swallows returning to Capistrano?
As you like it.

General Cycling is delightful come springtime, as nesting season ramps up. Long-time thread watchers know that the Waving Thread is an early arrival -- but a reassuring one, presaging as it does the eruption of song to follow. Its peculiar cry puts the steady drone of the Steel-is-Real, Rim Brakes Are All We Need, and the Asploding Crabon -- all hardy species that have acclimated to northern climes and winter over -- firmly into the background. Typically, the Waver's arrival is shortly followed by the I-Passed-A-Roadie. Then, by around May, all h_ll breaks loose.
Old 02-14-21, 10:07 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I'm fine with rim brakes on my road bikes, but I could never go back to rim brakes on my MTB. That's just nonsense! People will get out of my way if I can't stop fast enough, trees don't budge.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 02-14-21, 10:26 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
We should go back to spoon brakes.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 02-14-21, 10:48 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Tennis shoe wedged in rear seat stays on tire. Good for a couple of reserved watts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.