Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Panniers - Calling All Pannier & Touring Experts (or anyone w/ opinions) Suggests?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Panniers - Calling All Pannier & Touring Experts (or anyone w/ opinions) Suggests?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-23, 10:59 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'm not trying to be querulous or cantankerous, really. And this bike will need adaptors to put on water bottle cages if they're to be used. But how does one carry fluids with a frame bag, and is it necessary to stop to access water from panniers or the rear rack?

I thought the best part of moving from a 1975 Schwinn LeTour to a newer bike was being able to grab a sip while riding.
You have heard of this new invention (from 1989) called a “Camelbak”, haven’t you? It’s the rage with all those radical mountain bike kids. It’s that red thing in the picture below. You may also notice that the bike has a Oveja Negra Super Wedgie bag which I find a bit more useful than the Revelate Design Trangle with regard to the water bottle that is on that bike. A Trangle bag requires the use of shorter bottles which have less capacity.

I also have a full triangle bag. For that I just use the Camelbak and carry a water filter.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-12-23, 05:05 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I'm not trying to be querulous or cantankerous, really. And this bike will need adaptors to put on water bottle cages if they're to be used. But how does one carry fluids with a frame bag, and is it necessary to stop to access water from panniers or the rear rack?

I thought the best part of moving from a 1975 Schwinn LeTour to a newer bike was being able to grab a sip while riding.
Half a century ago bike frames almost never included bottle mounts and bottle cages always came with bands to strap around the frame tubes. Velo-Orange still sells the bands, but these are sized for vintage size frame tubes and won't work on bigger tubing. And not all cages work with these either.
https://velo-orange.com/collections/...tle-cage-clamp

I use Blackburn Comp cages with those straps.
https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/co...100000001.html

I have no financial interest in Velo Orange or Blackburn.

I wanted to add a cage below the downtube to carry a holder for my spare tube and patch kit on my rando bike, that bike uses the same frame tubing diameters as vintage frames. Used those straps and Blackburn Cage. I have used hose clamps on larger diameter frame tubes, but they are pretty ugly.

I do not recall if I used the provided bolts or if I used different hardware with those bands.
Old 05-12-23, 07:02 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2598 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You have heard of this new invention (from 1989) called a “Camelbak”, haven’t you? It’s the rage with all those radical mountain bike kids.
Yes, I have a hydration pack (not the same brand as yours). And yes, I use it: maybe a couple or three times a year. And though it doesn't get quite the same exposure as chain lube threads, the discomfort I have when wearing one, particularly on long, hot rides, has been discussed in many, many threads over the years. So unless you have something to add that's not been posted many, many times before, can we leave it as I don't want to use a hydration pack on a long road tour?
Old 05-12-23, 08:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Yes, I have a hydration pack (not the same brand as yours). And yes, I use it: maybe a couple or three times a year. And though it doesn't get quite the same exposure as chain lube threads, the discomfort I have when wearing one, particularly on long, hot rides, has been discussed in many, many threads over the years. So unless you have something to add that's not been posted many, many times before, can we leave it as I don't want to use a hydration pack on a long road tour?
The key is to pack the hydration pack with ice each morning with as much ice as it can hold. The result is having ice cold water to drink…far superior to tepid bath water from a bottle…and, perhaps more importantly, having 6 to 8 pounds of ice on your back. “Long hot rides” are not nearly so hot with a cold pack on your back. As someone who lives where a “humid” day is around 60% and the average is from 30 to 40%, I don’t do well in humid areas but that doesn’t stop me from riding throughout the US. An ice packed Camelbak makes rides in the humid east bearable for me. The ice water is just a bonus.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-12-23, 08:40 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
He could always use a time trial saddle bottle holder that takes two bottles.

Wearing anything on the body is a no go for me. Adding unnecessary constriction, more weight on the spine, hands, and saddle, downside out weighs the upside. Personal preference.
Likes For Yan:
Old 05-14-23, 05:31 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
A few weeks ago, I noticed a company on Amazon had those same panniers under a different brand for 26 USD per single bag in a digital camo pattern...but $31 for two black ones. Of course I ordered the pair, and they are exactly the same as Rockbros.

Anyway, the price for the pair has gone up to 50 bucks today, which is still less than RB charges for one...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 05-15-23, 01:20 AM
Xavier65

Bikes: Saracen Conquest. Claud Butler Majestic. Viking VK500. Crossmaxx 28" Pinion.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by stevepusser
A few weeks ago, I noticed a company on Amazon had those same panniers under a different brand
Funnily enough, I noticed something similar yesterday:

ROCKBROS: https://amzn.eu/d/0F4sJDM
HYSENM: https://amzn.eu/d/htmhlYS (same photo, but reflected)

But, in this case, the Hysenm one is 25% more expensive.

PS I went for this one: https://amzn.eu/d/haGcpNG