Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Economical Black Bibs - a 1st use review of Blackbibs.com Bibs

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Economical Black Bibs - a 1st use review of Blackbibs.com Bibs

Old 05-21-23, 04:54 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
I got a pair of the Black Bib Ultimates a couple weeks ago...I like almost everything about them, it seems like just the right amount of padding and I had virtually no soreness after 5-6 hour rides. However, the straps are ultra wide, they bunch up just a bit, and then chaff my nipples...never had this problem with any other bib. I wore them on yesterday's 6 hour ride, just with my pasties I fashioned out of blue painter's tape. That seemed to do the trick, and it was a generally comfortable ride.
Try to not get hit by a car...Because the first responders will laugh so hard that they might drop the gurney.
Old 06-02-23, 11:53 AM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Have tried both the $40 Black Bib and the $80 Black Bibs Ultimate.

For $40, the Black Bibs are an excellent value. The construction and materials are a step above the Przewalski offering, but like the OP, I didn't care for the pad. Seems quite "bulky." Actually rides ok, but off the bike, it just feels oddly lumpy.

The Black Bibs Ultimate are for sure, a step up. I like the pad a lot. Very comfortable. My current "go-to" for weekly rides that are typically ~40 miles. Materials are top notch. As far as the front of the bib stomach panel, it's true, extends very high up and can be challenging on a pee stop. I actually like it though, I've a bit of a belly and it acts like a girdle to hold it in. At $80, the price point is a bit above entry level, but still falls well below the typical brand name offerings that usually run ~$150.

Black Bibs Ultimate have the teejaywhy "great value" seal of approval and would definitely buy again.
Old 06-03-23, 08:33 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
HI All,
These are quite nice, reasonable comfort, good quality construction, chamois pad was not 'uncomfortable' Fit me quite good - For $50, they were as good any any $80-90 bibs I've seen/used.

Yuri
And this is kinda the reason I probably wouldn't consider these. It's not terribly difficult to find $80-100 name-brand bibs that are on sale for $50. And for $80 I got a pair of Castelli Free Aero bibs. I'm guessing there aren't really ever sales on theBlackBibs?
Old 06-03-23, 01:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
The Black Bibs Ultimate are for sure, a step up. I like the pad a lot. Very comfortable. My current "go-to" for weekly rides that are typically ~40 miles. Materials are top notch. As far as the front of the bib stomach panel, it's true, extends very high up and can be challenging on a pee stop. I actually like it though, I've a bit of a belly and it acts like a girdle to hold it in. At $80, the price point is a bit above entry level, but still falls well below the typical brand name offerings that usually run ~$150.

Black Bibs Ultimate have the teejaywhy "great value" seal of approval and would definitely buy again.
Yes, at $80 they fall well below $150 bibs from other brands.
...but you aren't actually claiming they are of the same quality, right?

The stitching is visually and effectively lower quality, the compression is looser, the straps go straight over the nips for no good reason, they are difficult to pee in, and they have a ton of material covering the back too.

Again, I have a couple pairs for a few years now- a pair of Ultimate and a pair of Plus- there is just no comparing them to multiple $150ish alternatives.
Old 06-09-23, 08:05 AM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yes, at $80 they fall well below $150 bibs from other brands.
...but you aren't actually claiming they are of the same quality, right?

The stitching is visually and effectively lower quality, the compression is looser, the straps go straight over the nips for no good reason, they are difficult to pee in, and they have a ton of material covering the back too.

Again, I have a couple pairs for a few years now- a pair of Ultimate and a pair of Plus- there is just no comparing them to multiple $150ish alternatives.
I didn't claim they are the same quality. But FOR ME, a better value. Stitching? Ok... I don't look at the stitching while riding. They for sure, not as nice as the Voler Black Label bibs I own, but for $70 less, ok I'll accept the "visually lower quality" stitching.
Old 06-09-23, 08:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
They for sure, not as nice as the Voler Black Label bibs I own, but for $70 less, ok I'll accept the "visually lower quality" stitching.
I didnt phrase that well. I knew it then and when reading it alongside your eyeroll emoji, its even more obvious now.
I dont mean that the stitching looks lower quality and that I somehow care about appearances. I am 6'5 220# and have a tattoo of a sasquatch riding a bike on my calf because thats how I fee on a bike- I am well aware that I will never be cool looking or vain enough to care about how some bib's stitching looks.

What I was trying to express, and failed to do, was to say that the stitching is lower quality and it can easily be seen by just looking at the stitching compared to other bibs. It wasnt a vain visual thing, its a quality/longevity thing. The leg grip on my right leg for one of the Black Bibs has some stitching that is coming undone. The pad is stitched in a cheaper quality way that I think isnt as robust as other bibs.

Hope that clarifies things. I definitely didnt mean to suggest I care about appearances when it comes to black colored bibs- glass houses and all!
At this point I think the difference in price is now $90! I looked at some Black Label bibs a week or two ago since Voler pushed a sale email to me. I cant justify more of those bibs- I need to ride more first!
Old 06-09-23, 09:19 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
And this is kinda the reason I probably wouldn't consider these. It's not terribly difficult to find $80-100 name-brand bibs that are on sale for $50. And for $80 I got a pair of Castelli Free Aero bibs. I'm guessing there aren't really ever sales on theBlackBibs?
Agree on finding the bibs you like at the quality and fit level that one desires.
This was an experiment to see what I'd get for $40 (plus tax & shipping) ... I'm ok with what I got and thought they came well above expectation.
A few years back I did the same 'experiment' by buying PI Quest shorts and BIBs. Boy, what that a major disappointment ! Those are the most awful bottoms I've ever pulled on.
So, everyone has very specific body form, which means a need for variety in the marketplace. A $40 experiment is not an expensive deal...
If I described the overall fit as relates to my own body form, reasonably well; then someone else might be able to make a reasonable guess as to suitability.
Trying on, before buying, is always the best way to pick clothes/kit. But how many riders ever do that?
Anyway, the discussion is good, because it brings into play the 'human' variation factor (although greaty lacking in the gender factor).
Ride On
Yuri
BTW - for anyone liking more 'race'/continental slim fit - Specialized currently has the RBX shorts and Bibs at great sale prices ($42 & $54). Again slim, race fit...
But really fabulous cut, quality of materials, an easy comparison to bibs in the $120-$150 range - continental fit...
I luv them, stocked up on both shorts and Bibs... LOL!

Last edited by cyclezen; 06-09-23 at 09:25 AM.