Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Change low gearing as the season progresses?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Change low gearing as the season progresses?

Old 06-01-23, 09:21 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,819 Times in 2,978 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I have found that rather than turning big gears on a climb, I am actually faster when I gear down and increase cadence. I still like to challenge myself when climbing and go for PRs but as I age, I am also slowly becoming more aware of energy conservation (VS constantly pushing myself) so I have something left in the tank for the next day. The two sets of gears are on different bikes. The bike I usually have on the Kickr is the one with the lower gears which I got out for summer rides. The bike is actually lighter than my endurance bike but forces me to climb harder on the steeps because of it.
I sometimes alternate between spinning in the saddle and standing in a higher gear to stretch my legs out. But I usually put out most power on a climb in a lower gear at higher cadence. I can output 500W+ in a 1:1 gear on a steep climb without spinning out, so I know I’m not in any way under-geared. If anything I could do with a few lower gears to better manage my power on steep ramps. That’s exactly what Roglic did at the Giro. He ran a 10-44T cassette with a 44T chainring for the mountain TT. I would do the same, but with a 38 or 40T chainring as I don’t have anything like his power.

Meanwhile there are loads of average middle-aged guys who think they are faster climbing with standard road gearing just because they can grind it over at sub 50 rpm cadence.
Old 06-01-23, 10:57 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,901 Times in 2,538 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Do you actually think that using lower gears on a steep climb makes a difference in fitness? I mean, if it takes you the same amount of time to get up a given time whether you're pushing a lower gear or spinning a higher gear, it's the same fitness, no?

But I'm not a good one to discuss this, because the only reasons I ride is for fun, and to keep fit. I'm not looking to get stronger in the sense of being able to push higher gears, if that makes any sense. I have no shame in using low gears.
For me, not having a lower gear means I have to push harder, stand more, use more of my upper body and feel any excess weight I am carrying far more. When I can do it, it is something I live for. I'm 70 years old now and I cannot always do this but it is still my love. That low "eggbeater" gear may be more efficient but it doesn't inspire me. To me, it feels like a chore. If I don't actually need it, I'd rather not have it. That said, all my geared bikes have triples. Two have 24 tooth inners, But I've never gone bigger than 28 in back and prefer less if I can. Portland, OR so there are real hills around.

And a story I got reminded of the other day. Last day of last fall's week long Cycle Oregon. A big hill leaving camp. then later, a 10 miler from the river to a plateau. Sunday I met the fellow I passed first climb. He heard my breathing from well back. Eventually I slowly passed him in a far higher gear, having been out of the saddle since the bottom. 36-21; lowest gear that fix gear could do without bringing the chainwhip which I forgot that day. The 10 miler later - hard, hard, hard. Would have loved to use the 24t I had in my tool bag but didn't have the tool for. That story was from a gent I mat at my espresso stop Sunday. Left there and rode my ancient race bike to the top of Bald Peak, going up the moderately hard 1000' approach on a 30-26. Two much shorter, much steeper pitches later. I had no muscle at all left by the time I got to the summit. The gentle bumps going home were hard! But I got home grateful I could do it and did do it.

Not having low gears is the single best weight control incentive i have ever known. And this isn't to preach or claim any superiority. Just sharing what makes me tick. If I put bigger gears on my bikes I have to ride more and harder to be able to "get on top" of then. (Old bike racer manual language.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-02-23, 08:29 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
This question doesn't make sense to me. My gears range from indicating 0 mph on my cycle computer on steep hills to spinning out on the other side at 46-48 mph. I don't spin out however because I'm not spinning at that speed, I'm pulling on the brake levers.

Who the heck cycles along at 48 mph?
Old 06-02-23, 09:44 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,581 Times in 2,897 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
For me, not having a lower gear means I have to push harder, stand more, use more of my upper body and feel any excess weight I am carrying far more. When I can do it, it is something I live for. I'm 70 years old now and I cannot always do this but it is still my love. That low "eggbeater" gear may be more efficient but it doesn't inspire me. To me, it feels like a chore. If I don't actually need it, I'd rather not have it. That said, all my geared bikes have triples. Two have 24 tooth inners, But I've never gone bigger than 28 in back and prefer less if I can. Portland, OR so there are real hills around.

Not having low gears is the single best weight control incentive i have ever known. And this isn't to preach or claim any superiority. Just sharing what makes me tick. If I put bigger gears on my bikes I have to ride more and harder to be able to "get on top" of then. (Old bike racer manual language.)
Boy is that ever the truth. Or I hope it is the truth. At 68 I have put on a few extra pounds (6) that last year, or years previous, would have just disappeared with extra cycling. Now I need to really watch it and cut my calories to lose the extra. Bummer.

Old 06-02-23, 10:05 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
My cassette (14-28) gives me all the gearing I need year round. When I'm not riding hard in winter, I use the (50 ring) 19-20-21. In summer when I'm in better shape, I am using the 15-17-18 a lot more. In winter I might need to go tot he small (34) ring, in summer I'm usually OK on a hill in the (50 ring) 28 cog.
Old 06-05-23, 01:30 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
My different bikes have different gearing, not by design. When setting out on rides, I’ll pick the appropriate tool for the job; today had a big hill, so the bike with the 12-29 cassette was chosen. 2 weeks ago was a 5-day trip on rolling countryside, so the bike with the triple was taken, and mostly left in the (middle) 42 ring. The 12-26 cassette stays on the trainer wheel. These demands vary more these days than my fitness, which is always terrible.
Old 06-05-23, 01:31 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
With 18 speeds from which to choose the only thing than changes is my ability to use a larger rear cog to power up hills as my conditioning improves. I have a 12-25 rear cassette and if I wanted to change it I would go with a 12-28 or 12-32 cassette.
Old 06-05-23, 02:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
I dont remember the last time I needed the bailout ratio on my main road bikes. And I havent found the setups to be limiting when in shape. So they fit my needs regardless of time of year. I dont live in an area where I will need to change gearing depending on the day's ride.
Old 06-06-23, 06:11 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Of the 21 speeds (3 × 7) Giant equiped my 2018 Sedona with, even after accounting for the 8 redundant ones, The remaining 13 cover 26 to 89 gear inches. On most of my rides the most I use is 78 GI. and seldom go below 49 GI. I still have 6 lower gears and one higher. So I have the right gear for every scenario I'm likely to encounter winter or summer.

90% of the time I use the bike like a 1x with a 38T chainring and just 2T steps for 6 of the 7 cassette cogs. The 4T step is for the lowest gear, where I want it.

Most modern road and hybrid bikes come equipped with enough gear range to suite pretty much any weather. Very steep hills would be the wildcard with these bikes. I see some vintage road bikes didn't go nearly as low as today, But even those where probably fine for most riders.

My mid 1970's "10 speed" road bike had a wide range of gears too. The cool thing with this bike was unlike my recent bike with 8 redundant gears, all gear combo's were properly spaced. My next bike, A 12 speed Mountain bike only had 7 properly spaced gears. They must have put a lot of effort into designing the drivetrain in order to make every gear but 1 redundant.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 06-06-23 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-08-23, 10:43 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Way more work than I want to do. I just use a gearing range that accommodates it all.
Old 06-09-23, 06:09 PM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts
^ ^ ^ What Kapusta said. Living at the foot of the Rockies, I have need for Big Granny as well as Go Fast. My rides are new and have the wide-range groupsets that both S and C are producing these days.
Life is good!

Last edited by eljayski; 06-09-23 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-10-23, 02:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,581 Times in 2,897 Posts
Last week I set a PR on short punchy climb (11%) on my higher geared bike. If I had my lower geared one, I would have been tempted to drop it all the way down to the easiest and probably wouldn’t have done so well. On the other hand, on long sustained climbs, my lower geared bike would be the true asset rather than grinding myself into oblivion. I did do a 1.5 mile climb last week with the higher geared one but really kept me speed down and tried to conserve effort. It was one of my slowest climbs on that hill.

Reading my first sentence over again, could have taken the lower geared bike on that section but not dropped it down two gears and probably faired just as well - but the temptation to not hurt probably would have prevailed.

Like another poster stated, for me it is a wonderful feeling to get out of the saddle and power over a short climb versus sitting it out. Probably reminds me of when I was younger and far stronger.