Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Packing a tent

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Packing a tent

Old 12-17-19, 01:30 PM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
Packing a tent

After my first bikepacking adventure over the summer, my friends and I are planning another one. But this time we will be camping. What's the best way to pack a tent? I've just bought a cheap one man tent, a yellowstone matterhorn (want to make sure i'm happy cycling and camping before investing in something better). I'm on the short side (5'2") and my bike is 47cm. My bags are altura vortex saddle and handlebar bags and topeak mid and toploader. The poles will have to be attached to the outside of the saddlebag as there isn't enough room on my top or downtube to attach them
Old 12-17-19, 01:57 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
If you don’t have room in your bags, perhaps strap it to your handlebar roll. Or get a full frame bag and pack inside.
Old 12-17-19, 02:04 PM
rivers

I have room, just not sure how to pack them
Old 12-17-19, 05:15 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
One good thing about a tent is, water won't hurt it. That means it can be packed outside of the panniers. Mine usually sits on top of a pannier, with the long axis of the bundle parallel to the direction of travel.
Different days and loads may change locations.
I wrap the drawstring of its stuff sack around the seat post and clip it just to make sure it doesn't come loose.
Old 12-17-19, 05:47 PM
I.B.Roots
Bike Noob

Bikes: Kona, Salsa(s)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rivers
I have room, just not sure how to pack them
What have you tried so far?
Old 12-17-19, 05:58 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Try this, wrap them with some velcro or rubber bands, Then wrap them again on the top tube. Start at the headtube, can extend past the seat too.
Old 12-18-19, 06:46 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
so, I had to google what the bags look like on your bike. It would have helped to see a photo of your bike with the bags but AFAK you can just stuff the tent into the handlebar bag, just like stuffing a sleeping bag. You do not have to ROLL the tent "per se" and then strap the poles to the outside of the handlebar bag under the dual straps that the bag comes with. Once you start the stuffing I would probably stuff the sleeping bag in the same handlebar bag too.
Old 12-18-19, 07:49 AM
rivers

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
so, I had to google what the bags look like on your bike. It would have helped to see a photo of your bike with the bags but AFAK you can just stuff the tent into the handlebar bag, just like stuffing a sleeping bag. You do not have to ROLL the tent "per se" and then strap the poles to the outside of the handlebar bag under the dual straps that the bag comes with. Once you start the stuffing I would probably stuff the sleeping bag in the same handlebar bag too.
Thanks. These are my bags (without frame bag) on my road bike for a trip I did last summer. I will be using my CX/gravel bike for this trip as the frame geometry is slightly different and I have more frame clearance, bigger handlebars and better gearing. My problem with strapping the poles to the handlebar bag is they are too long (50cm poles, 40cm handlebars), so they will need to be secured to the outside of my saddlebag.
Old 12-18-19, 07:49 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
How you pack a tent really depends on the type of tent you own. I have a single walled Tartpent Contrail and this is how I pack it.

I have replaced the stock tent pole with a custom one that breaks down into sections that will fit inside my saddlebag see here

​​​​​​https://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm

I put the pole sections and tent pegs at the bottom of my saddlebag. I then put the tent fly into a small compression sack so that
I can really reduce the packed volume and that then fits nicely in my saddlebag next to my sleeping bag which is also in a compression sack.
Likes For nun:
Old 12-18-19, 08:05 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Trekking pole pryamid tent for me, I just find a fallen branch.
Old 12-18-19, 08:49 AM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Keep in mind when packing a tent, many times it has to be packed wet because of rain or dew. I don’t know anything about bike packing bags but in a traditional touring set up it usually resides on top of the rear rack. I would think on the outside of bags or alone in a bag would be my choice.
Likes For Baboo:
Old 12-18-19, 11:09 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Stuff it into a compression sack. Sea to Summit bags are great. We put everything made of cloth into a compression sack.
Old 12-18-19, 11:33 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,200 Times in 2,357 Posts
The space inside a bag of any sort is too valuable to waste on a tent. Tents are best carried outside of bags in whatever manner you can devise. For bikepacking, my tent is held in a Revelate Design harness along with my sleeping bag. My pad in inside the sleeping bag stuff sack.

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

On a road tour with racks, the sleeping bag is on the rear rack along with the sleeping bag.

2015-04-23 06.25.21 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Pre-bikepacking, I carried the tent on the back and the sleeping bag a front rack.

Rollins Pass, 8/10/85 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-18-19, 11:53 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Strap the tent to the top of your rack. Rear rack would be my first choice, but a front rack will hold it fine, too.
Old 12-18-19, 12:48 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Originally Posted by Baboo
Keep in mind when packing a tent, many times it has to be packed wet because of rain or dew. I don’t know anything about bike packing bags but in a traditional touring set up it usually resides on top of the rear rack. I would think on the outside of bags or alone in a bag would be my choice.
Even in dry weather tents flys are often damp with dew in the morning. So the first thing I do is to wipe off the fly. I leave the tent up to give it as much time to dry as possible. If it has to be packed wet I usually bundle it up and strap it to the outside of my saddlebag so that I can easily get at it to spread it out to dry if I stop for a while. If it's raining it goes in the compression sack and I will try to dry it out asap.
Old 12-18-19, 12:53 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I always stuff the tent and rainfly into one front pannier. The pole fits under the top flap of my saddlebag.

Marc
Old 12-18-19, 03:04 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by rivers
Thanks. These are my bags (without frame bag) on my road bike for a trip I did last summer. I will be using my CX/gravel bike for this trip as the frame geometry is slightly different and I have more frame clearance, bigger handlebars and better gearing. My problem with strapping the poles to the handlebar bag is they are too long (50cm poles, 40cm handlebars), so they will need to be secured to the outside of my saddlebag.
I have a rectangular 2-man dome tent I use for most of my touring and camping. Because the poles for it are pretty long I cut them in half and then bought brass tubing to put on the cut part. Now the poles fold up compactly and are easily put on my rack.

Cheers
Old 12-18-19, 07:16 PM
nun

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I have a rectangular 2-man dome tent I use for most of my touring and camping. Because the poles for it are pretty long I cut them in half and then bought brass tubing to put on the cut part. Now the poles fold up compactly and are easily put on my rack.

Cheers
I use a Contrail. It preceded the Protrail shown here, but the two are similar

https://www.tarptent.com/product/protrail/

Here is how I pack the tent. Here is my saddlebag

In the picture below the tent poles and pegs are in the grey bag, the orange bag contains my sleeping pad
and the small red bag is my pillow.​​​​​​

There's quite a bit of space around these bags and that gets filled with clothing so that there is a level platform
for the next layer. That consists of the tent tarp in the orange compression sack and my sleeping bag in the blue
compression sack. There's lots of room left over for cooking equipment and even more clothes and my kung fu shoes.
which I like because the pack very flat.

Old 12-19-19, 01:09 AM
CalumStenner

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker 54

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm currently cycling around Asia at the moment; I've found strapping my tent atop the front pannier rack is best for me. I found doing the Mae Hong Son Loop with an extra 1.6kg in front of my pedals easier to push as opposed to behind my pedals.
I'm not sure if it's legit, or just psychological... but horizontally atop the front panniers are best for me!
Old 12-19-19, 04:10 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I have never carried tents inside of other bags or panniers due mostly to moisture issues. Depending on the baggage style strapping it to the top of a rack or to a bar roll works great. I have found that when I use a minimal hoop-less bivy it is usually dry enough that I can pack it up inside other bags. That said, at 7 ounces my bivy is like a sleeping bag cover than what a lot of folks think of when they think of a bivy.
Old 12-19-19, 07:33 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Re damp tent, as mentioned there are times were condensation can be as much as rain, I like having a small piece of shammy type foam or whatever that with wiping, can remove cups and cups of droplets all over tent. To me over the years is worth the very small size and weight as it greatly helps tent a bb fly to dry while doing last packing .
I like putting tent away dry, but of course can't always, so less water on it is nice.

I've also always pulled out tent and fly to dry during lunch if sunny if need be.

good luck with your specific pole length issues.

oh, salsa cowbells are a nice compromise for flare,I love mine, but salsa has numerous options of flare.
Old 12-19-19, 07:33 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
So far most responders have indicated where on the bike they have carried a tent. In another look at the issue, imagine it has begun to rain, maybe heavily, toward the end of the day's ride. When you reach the intended campsite you would like to set up the tent as quickly as possible so that you and your stuff remain as dry as possible during the setup. A key to a quick tent setup is to prepare the tent in advance from the previous days setup. If the tent is folded up to an appropriate size for where it is to be carried, then rolled up from front to back with rain fly still in place but with poles removed, then for the current setup, the tent can first be staked at the back end so it can't be carried away by strong winds. At This point the poles are inserted and staking out completed. If you have tried to set up a tent in a downpour, then this procedure will keep everything dry over multiple days of rain.
Old 12-19-19, 09:32 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
So far most responders have indicated where on the bike they have carried a tent. In another look at the issue, imagine it has begun to rain, maybe heavily, toward the end of the day's ride. When you reach the intended campsite you would like to set up the tent as quickly as possible so that you and your stuff remain as dry as possible during the setup. A key to a quick tent setup is to prepare the tent in advance from the previous days setup. If the tent is folded up to an appropriate size for where it is to be carried, then rolled up from front to back with rain fly still in place but with poles removed, then for the current setup, the tent can first be staked at the back end so it can't be carried away by strong winds. At This point the poles are inserted and staking out completed. If you have tried to set up a tent in a downpour, then this procedure will keep everything dry over multiple days of rain.
That's why I've started carrying a tarp with me. It's a lightweight one and I pitch it before I put up the tent which goes under the tarp. That way the tent itself stays dry during both setup and takedown.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 12-19-19, 10:28 AM
alan s 

Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I carry a towel to dry the inside of the tent if setting up in the rain. Getting back to the OP’s question, my tent goes on the rack by itself, which keeps everything else dry. If you don’t use a rack, then find a way to attach to the bike or store in the bottom of a bag if wet.

Old 12-19-19, 11:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
If the poles continue to be a problem, many good quality camping stores can custom make poles that would fold up shorter. Or as noted by someone above that used some brass tubing, he did that as a DIY project. I have cut my own poles for a couple tents, but those poles were I poles, not flexible for a hoop shape.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.