Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Major change to the commute.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-23, 10:01 AM
b_hakeman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

After moving closer to the office, I was hoping to be able to ride to work more often. (I went from 5 miles from the office to just over 1.5 miles). I was already riding the old commute when weather and schedule permitted but I was laid off from that job and found a new gig working from home full time. Now my 'commute' is my lunchtime workout. When the kids are done with school this month, I plan on getting my rides in before work. At least I no longer have to lug my computer around when I ride.
Likes For b_hakeman:
Old 05-05-23, 01:09 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
After 28 years of a 9 mile (each way) commute my job ended and I worked for myself from home for 18 months. Knowing myself, I knew it would be difficult to motivate myself to ride "nowhere" every day. Plus, unlike commuting, I could cut the ride short and head back at any time. I knew this would be a problem based on how I used the treadmill at home in the winter before getting studded snow tires...I could just stop at any time without immediate consequences.

I solved my motivation problem by buying a project bike (a 20-inch folder). That got me interested in riding it as I modified it. And then I found that in the winter I could ride during the warmer early afternoons, rather than the dark, frigid mornings (and evenings).

The biggest challenge for me was the mornings I would wake up to client emails and projects. I tend to jump on them right away, and if I wasn't careful I missed lunch and riding.

FInally, I found a new office job, only 6 miles from the house, and with a few less route options for variety.

I miss the infinite route options for variety available when riding out and back from a home office, but I appreciate how having to be somewhere is my main motivation for riding. (Your mileage and motivation may vary).
Old 05-06-23, 03:14 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
@BobbyG, six miles isn't bad; I'll bet you could find ways to make it longer a few days per week.
Likes For Korina:
Old 08-03-23, 04:32 AM
Danila

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, working from home is unhealthy, even in a factory it's not so bad