Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire PSI?

Old 05-30-23, 03:29 PM
Billydog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Tire PSI?

I let the bike shop put air in my new tires..
On the box is says 120 max psi..
The bike shop guy asks me how much I weigh and only put in 90 psi..
Wh did he do that?
Old 05-30-23, 03:40 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Billydog
Wh did he do that?
Because max PSI and correct PSI are two different things
Old 05-30-23, 03:58 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
Wh did he do that?

Because he knows better than you perhaps?

But more constructively, the max pressure on the sidewall is very likely NOT what you want to be running.

Plug your details into the pressure calculator - https://silca.cc/en-au/pages/sppc-form
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 05-30-23, 04:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts
On the bright side, it’s not another waving thread.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-30-23, 04:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
These tires have been quite a journey for OP.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-30-23, 05:23 PM
Billydog

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Ok...
It's been a while since I been on a bike... It's been around 20 years..
i still haven't been on my bike yet..
I walked it to and from the bike shop after the bike shop guy put air in my tires..
I may need a pair of training wheels to get back in the groove of things...
I should have asked the bike shop guy if he had a pair of training wheels but I forgot.
Likes For Billydog:
Old 05-30-23, 05:24 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Because max PSI and correct PSI are two different things
This. Common newbie mistake is thinking “max” pressure is best pressure.
Old 05-30-23, 05:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,600 Times in 5,946 Posts
Ok...
It's been a while since I been on a bike... It's been around 20 years..
i still haven't been on my bike yet..
I walked it to and from the bike shop after the bike shop guy put air in my tires..
I may need a pair of training wheels to get back in the groove of things...
I should have asked the bike shop guy if he had a pair of training wheels but I forgot.
Yeah, that sounds about right. 20 years ago, everyone ran pretty much the highest pressure the tires would hold, thinking nearly rigid tires would be faster. Then somebody actually tested that hypothesis and it turned out to be wrong.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-30-23, 05:34 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Or you could have asked him why he selected 90PSI. He knows. We don't.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-30-23, 06:04 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 335 Posts
Wh did he do that?
The tire must connect the ground with the entire weight of the rider and bike with an oval shape.
The size of the oval shape that the tires contact the ground is constant for the tire make, size, and purpose.
So, if the contact patch is measured in area, and the contact area is 1 square inch per tire (2 square inches) and you and the bike together weigh 200 lbs, then the contact patch will have a pressure of 100 pounds per square inch.
Then the tire must be inflated to 100 PSI to maintain that contact patch.
Lower PSI will cause the tire to squish extra increasing the area of the contact patch until it reaches equilibrium, so at 50PSI the contact patch will have to be twice as big 2 square inches per tire for 4 square inches). The area of contact must equal the weight it supports.
Higher PSI will have a smaller contact patch accordingly but would make a harsher ride, not much speed increase and greatly degreaded traction).
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 05-30-23, 07:07 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 196 Posts
Go look at your car tires, look at what the max psi is rated on the tire for, then go look at your driver's door or door jamb for a label that shows the recommended tire pressure, note the difference between the two? That's because the manufacturer took the weight of the car, and maybe the average weight of passengers, and calculated the correct psi due to weight. See where this is going?

If you use a tire pressure calculator you will probably come close to the psi the bike shop put in, see: SILCA Professional Tire Pressure Calculator
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 05-31-23, 05:51 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
On the bright side, it’s not another waving thread.
Can't we just talk about waxing chains?
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 05-31-23, 06:32 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I'm going to guess that the bike and rider together weigh about 180 lbs. I could be way off if the tires were fatter, but then they wouldn't be rated for 120psi. Current theory is that you want a low enough pressure that you kill some of the 'buzz' from the road without going too low and getting pinch flats.
Old 05-31-23, 07:35 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Can't we just talk about waxing chains?
OH, that's been totally settled by consensus.
Old 06-01-23, 07:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Billydog

If you haven't ridden the bike yet, then you probably need to add more air to them. Especially if it's a road bike.

Many of us check the tire pressure and pump them up to our chosen PSI almost every time we go for a ride.
Old 06-01-23, 07:56 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Wh did he do that?
never trust Big Small Bike Shop ......
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 06-01-23, 08:07 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Yeah, that sounds about right. 20 years ago, everyone ran pretty much the highest pressure the tires would hold, thinking nearly rigid tires would be faster. Then somebody actually tested that hypothesis and it turned out to be wrong.
I would not say it turned out to be wrong, just not best. back in the 90s Jobst Brandt did a test on avocet tires that measured rolling resistance as a function of tire pressure. Those tests were run on a drum at (I think) Calspan laboratory which is a DOT sponsored vehicle safety and testing facility in upstate NY. A search of rec.bicycles.tech would probably find that test.

here's a long thread from THIRTY YEARS AGO on this topic. Tire width and rolling resistance. (google.com)

There was in fact a small reduction in rolling resistance for pressure increases above 100psi.

- HOWEVER -

Real roads are not smooth resistance drums. Tires that are rock-hard can be downright uncomfortable to ride, especially on less than perfect surfaces. And we now have tires with wider cross sections that provide enough floatation to protect against pinch flattnig even at very low pressures.

So "the best pressure" depends on a number of factors including what feels right to you ! But for a typical 28mm tire on a common road bike, ridden in non competitive conditions, 80-90 psi is a good starting point.

I'm sceptical that a calculator or app can better determine the right tire pressure than I can do for myself. Remember air temperature has something to do with it too.

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 06-01-23 at 08:16 AM.
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 06-01-23, 08:24 AM
asgelle

Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
Remember air temperature has something to do with it too.
How so?
Old 06-01-23, 08:27 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I would not say it turned out to be wrong, just not best. back in the 90s Jobst Brandt did a test on avocet tires that measured rolling resistance as a function of tire pressure. Those tests were run on a drum at (I think) Calspan laboratory which is a DOT sponsored vehicle safety and testing facility in upstate NY. A search of rec.bicycles.tech would probably find that test.

here's a long thread from THIRTY YEARS AGO on this topic. Tire width and rolling resistance. (google.com)

There was in fact a small reduction in rolling resistance for pressure increases above 100psi.

- HOWEVER -

Real roads are not smooth resistance drums. Tires that are rock-hard can be downright uncomfortable to ride, especially on less than perfect surfaces. And we now have tires with wider cross sections that provide enough floatation to protect against pinch flattnig even at very low pressures.

So "the best pressure" depends on a number of factors including what feels right to you ! But for a typical 28mm tire on a common road bike, ridden in non competitive conditions, 80-90 psi is a good starting point.

I'm sceptical that a calculator or app can better determine the right tire pressure than I can do for myself. Remember air temperature has something to do with it too.

/markp
What Jobst Brandt of sainted memory was a good experiment, but it turned out to be an insufficient model of how tires behave in the real world, so I think it's fair to say the conclusions were wrong, or at least insufficient.

The two calculators I know of (Zipp and Silca) both say their recommendations are a starting point, and the rider should determine what works best. And while air temperature does indeed have something to do with it - PV still equals nRT after all - unless the temperature changes hugely between the time you pump up the tires and when you ride, the change is probably negligible.

Old 06-01-23, 08:29 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Another thought on Brandt's experiment - he did it 30 years ago. I live in the same part of California where he lived, and I can tell you, the roads have gotten a lot worse over that time! So perhaps one could say that the real world then was more like riding on a drum than it is now.

Old 06-01-23, 08:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts

- HOWEVER -

/markp
This is the part I really agree with you on.
I'm sceptical that a calculator or app can better determine the right tire pressure than I can do for myself.
Not certain how this next statement comes into play since one doesn't typically monitor tire pressure and temperature once we finish pumping up the tire and begin pedaling.

Remember air temperature has something to do with it too.
Yeah, tires and rims will heat up on a hot road or with rim brakes being used a lot or for too long. But do you ever stop during a ride to adjust for that?
Old 06-01-23, 08:42 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

because there is something called the "adiabatic process" that describes the relationship between air pressure and temperature.

ever notice how your pump gets hot after you pump up your tires (tyres) ?

In daily practice what this means is, consider the air temperature when setting your tire pressure. If you start off on a ride and it's a summer day with temps likely to reach 85 or 90 (lets just say) when you pump up your tires at the ride start allow for some increase in pressure as the temps rise thru the day.

yet another good reason for not running the max tire pressure shown on the tire sidewall.

Riders using rim brakes may also see a pressure increase when doing braking on long downhills..

/markp
Old 06-01-23, 12:50 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
They probably did what they would for most riders riding on narrower rims and tube-type tires. That is exactly what a few bike shops recommended for me a few years ago. They were not wrong though prob a bit high on the recommendation as they usually are. I'm 175 and was on 25m tires then. With wide rims and 28s, I run 72/75 an with even wider rims tubeless and 30/32 tires, I run 53-60. Max pressure- just don't exceed that or the tire could be much more likely to blow off the rim.
Old 06-01-23, 01:33 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
In daily practice what this means is, consider the air temperature when setting your tire pressure. If you start off on a ride and it's a summer day with temps likely to reach 85 or 90 (lets just say) when you pump up your tires at the ride start allow for some increase in pressure as the temps rise thru the day.
That 's accounting for a change in pressure. In this case due to a change in temperature. It's no different than considering pressure changes during a ride for any other reason (e.g. air loss through a latex tube). Tell me how would optimum pressure change for a ride at 0C vs. 30C?
Old 06-01-23, 01:44 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Don't know what you mean by "optimum" pressure.

I'm calculating about 0.5 PSI per degree C of temperature change for a volume comparable to a bike tire

30 degrees C is a pretty big temperature swing for normal riding. However, speaking of pressure changes during a ride, I have seen tires blown off the rim due to heating from rim brakes. That could account for a much larger temperature swing.

For example if you start at 30 C ambient with the tire inflated to 120 psi and under braking get up to 70 degrees C that's 40 * 0.5 or 20 PSI for a temperature swing of 40 degreees C.

Hope that clarifies

/markp

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.