Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Recent tour on the Erie Canal Trail

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-23, 05:59 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts

I hope this is not "cross posting" but this is the trip report I've posted over in Classic and Vintage about my recent journey on the Erie Canal Trail/Empire State Trail from Buffalo to Syracuse. Too far and too hot and too heavy and too alone for any sane 71 yr old man on an obsolete wreck of a bike to attempt. I'm glad I did.

Low bridge, everybody down.....
Old 06-05-23, 03:17 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Thanks for posting the link. I was headed the other direction, perhaps slightly before you came across: https://mvermeulen.org/gone2look4ame.../empire-trail/

A few general notes:
  • Nice to see the Cannondale panniers. I used to have some that I toured with including across the US in '92, up the Atlantic Coast in '95 and across Canada in '97 and in the photo below around Australia in '01. Unfortunately the zippers started failing and I replaced them ~2003 when fully worn out with a decade and at least 30,000 miles of touring (just those four big trips totaled 30,092 miles and I cycled shorter trips on other years of that decade).
  • I liked my ride across the Empire Trail and recommend it as a route for others
Old 06-06-23, 05:57 AM
Prowler 

Originally Posted by mev
Thanks for posting the link. I was headed the other direction, perhaps slightly before you came across:
A few general notes:
  • Nice to see the Cannondale panniers. I used to have some that I toured with…….. Unfortunately the zippers started failing and I replaced them
Yes, I was still getting out of Lockport on Tuesday morning. Missed you. Actually, over the 5 days traveling I only saw two bikes (traveling together) that were loaded like yours and mine: full gear and self supported. Saw a few others with small rear panniers who looked like day trippers or B&B campers. It was still quite early in the season.

(Could I say “stove campers” vs “B&B campers”?)

I’m happy to have the C’dale bags. Very versatile. A couple of patched spots so I always carry rain covers but doing very well. Donkey’s Ears ago I made a jar of bee’s wax diluted with a bit of baby oil so it’s the consistency of tooth paste. I rub a film of that on the zippers each year which keeps them running smoothly. I hope that extends their life.
Old 06-06-23, 10:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler

(Could I say “stove campers” vs “B&B campers”?)
The latter are often referred to as "credit card tourists." With that said, some people tour and camp but don't cook.
Old 06-06-23, 10:57 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The latter are often referred to as "credit card tourists." With that said, some people tour and camp but don't cook.
For what it is worth, I didn't camp on the Erie Trail.

I do carry a lightweight camp setup (tent, sleeping bag, pad) and my cooking setup consists of an electric immersion heater to boil water and a set of microwave steam bags so I can steam things from the grocery store (when using microwave in a motel).

I have enough with me to camp when needed but have a preference for a bed and shower when I find it.
Old 06-06-23, 01:06 PM
Prowler 

Originally Posted by indyfabz
yes, never that simple. I camped but did not cook. Carried stove as back up but bought meals along the way. I used credit card to pay for campsites. What a tangled web.