Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Using a fork with an extra long threaded steerer as threadless?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-23, 11:46 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts

One of my when and if parts piles includes everything to swap in a threadless fork including new 31.8 Nitto handlebars. A more suitable threaded fork came on the market, but the substitution will require changing out the headset, stem, probably the handlebars, and maybe the some of the decaleur parts.

That whole assembly can follow the threadless fork to another bikes when and if pile, but that is a bit down the slippery slope of of acquisitions and hoardings.

I was thinking that I might be able to order the new fork with longest available stearer and cut off the threads and just use it as a threadless set up.

Thoughts?

Last edited by bark_eater; 06-06-23 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-06-23, 12:44 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
You would end up with a dangerously-thinned steerer and needing a custom-sized stem clamp to fit the creative new diameter of the steerer.

You can find a threaded headset, cut the steerer to threaded-headset length, then use a quill adapter to interface with your existing bars and stem.
Old 06-06-23, 01:01 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4681 Post(s)
Liked 5,799 Times in 2,284 Posts
If all of the threaded area can be cut off and it's still long enough for the stem and position you prefer, then yes, go for it.
Old 06-06-23, 01:43 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
I've been curious about that myself.
SOOOO, i dug out a fork with a 1" threaded steerer and a 1" threadless stem.
They interface goodly, maybe a bit tight even.
Got a 1" chris king threadless headset in a bin. all I need is a star nut.
Old 06-06-23, 01:48 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
If all of the threaded area can be cut off and it's still long enough for the stem and position you prefer, then yes, go for it.
Singer did similar but as I recall an insert was brazed in to beef the wall up- but that was starting with 25.0 tube, not 25.4mm

I would still lean toward reinforcing

don’t want a variation of the Trek Catastrophe at Paris - Roubaix
Old 06-06-23, 01:54 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4681 Post(s)
Liked 5,799 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Singer did similar but as I recall an insert was brazed in to beef the wall up- but that was starting with 25.0 tube, not 25.4mm

I would still lean toward reinforcing

don’t want a variation of the Trek Catastrophe at Paris - Roubaix
I know that Rene Herse did that, so it was kind of a hybrid between threaded for the headset, then the stem clamped on to the reduction point. Jan Heine sells the Rene Herse version. You braze a 22mm OD tube into the 25.4mm steerer to adapt it. @scarlson had a thread on machining a replica awhile back. Note that this method precludes using anything but an RH style stem designed to clamp around a 22mm OD steerer (extension).
Old 06-06-23, 02:35 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I rechecked my measurements, and it looks like I'll end up short after removing the threads from the fork. Rats...