Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tansini potential

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tansini potential

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-23, 09:50 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
Tansini potential

Hi Folks,

This bike was donated to our local co-op where I volunteer. I know it’s nothing special, but it intrigues me. The info available indicates that these were made by an Italian moped company & imported to the US briefly in the early 70s.

It’s a lugged frame with thick fork tips and dropout that include DS derailleur hanger. These appear to be stamped rather than forged. Overall, it’s in very good condition. Minimal chips/scratches and no significant rust. As pictured it weighs 26#. Not bad considering all of the steel parts. I haven’t weighed the bare frame. The co-op has a lot of recycled components which could be used for s quality build. We’ve developed a niche market building older, mid-level road bikes with riser bars and thumb shifters. Some even get index shifting. Does anyone know of any serious negatives about this brand?

Thanks & regards,

Van
Likes For Senior Ryder 00:
Old 06-06-23, 10:17 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
Those appear to be tubulars. Is that accurate? Tubulars seem to be a step above the rest of the parts, making me wonder if wheels are original?

The moniker is new to me, though I did come across this snippet about a Guiseppi Tansini in an archived "for sale" listing:
Gitan was founded by Giuseppe Tansini (hence the name GI-TAN) in Caorso, a town in the province of Piacenza.The activity started in 1940 and was interrupted from 1943 to 1945: due to the war and the German raids.It resumes its activity in the post-war period, with the production of both touring and racing bicycles. The runner Attilio Pavesi of Caorso used racing bicycles produced in his country. Gitan is still active and sells sports and touring bicycles. The current owner is the son-in-law of the founder. [ 47 more words ]
LINK " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
LINK " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

The rest of the text is cut off and the original link is dead.

Found some other references to an Italian motorcycle company by name of Tansini that also produced "pedal bicycles."
Old 06-06-23, 11:09 PM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
Do the forks look “off” or is that camera angle?
Old 06-06-23, 11:27 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by evwxxx
Do the forks look “off” or is that camera angle?
I think you're seeing the other fork, behind. Looks good to me.
Old 06-07-23, 07:58 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 2,177 Posts
-----

Tansini was a motorcycle manufacturer whose products were current during the interwar period.
Have always assumed these cycles contract produced but have no hard information.

The importation represented by the bicycle was a single batch one done ~1973-74 by a California distributor.

There was only the one model which came in three liveries.

In addition to the white with royal blue panels there was silver with salmon panels& metallic taupe with white panels.

Frame done of plain gauge hi-tensile tubing, perhaps comparable to Zeta or Z50, with Campag Sport ends set Nr. 1010/1.

Kiitting -

OMG cottered steel chainset

Huret Svelto gear ensemble

Balilla centrepull brakes

3TTT Turiste stem & bar set

Sheffield pedals

Agrati headset

plain steel saddle pillar

Freccia D'Oro (or similar) plastic saddle

tubular wheels with NISI rims and Gnutti hubs

a shop in me town was a stockist - hence me familiarity

one has been hanging in me racks since about 1980 when found at the local midden

example here has same livery as subject machine and is size 61cm c-t-t

there was a discussion group on the company's vintage motorcycles - checked just now before posting link and site seems to be gone

this document suggests that the trademark rights to the name were permitted to expire in 1981 -

https://www.trademarkia.com/cicli-moto-tansini-81003210

earlier forum threads on examples -

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...road-bike.html

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ade-italy.html
Old 06-07-23, 09:58 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
----- Huret Svelto gear ensemble
Was Huret on an Italian bike common? Trying to remember ever seeing that, but checking my memory banks and "File Not Found"...

Old 06-07-23, 11:00 AM
juvela

Originally Posted by tiger1964
Was Huret on an Italian bike common? Trying to remember ever seeing that, but checking my memory banks and "File Not Found"...
-----

had an exchange of thoughts on this with T-Mar in this thread cited above

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...road-bike.html

he wrote he had not seen it while i had encountered it on lower model italian machines of the later nineteen sixties and early nineteen seventies

caused me to wonder if it might have been a difference in marques exported to CA vs the US...

---

slightly surprised to read marque a new one to @gaucho777

it was sold by Velo Sport Cyclery on Grove Street (now Martin Luther King Jr. Way) in Berkeley in 1974

even if he was not in town at that epoch would think he might have seen one or two locked up somewhere about the city...

of course given the long interval since original sale there has been more than enough time for any surviving examples to have received one or more resprays which would have effectively rendered them invisible

-----

Last edited by juvela; 06-07-23 at 11:42 AM. Reason: addition
Old 06-07-23, 09:39 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Hi Folks,

This bike was donated to our local co-op where I volunteer. I know it’s nothing special, but it intrigues me. The info available indicates that these were made by an Italian moped company & imported to the US briefly in the early 70s.

It’s a lugged frame with thick fork tips and dropout that include DS derailleur hanger. These appear to be stamped rather than forged. Overall, it’s in very good condition. Minimal chips/scratches and no significant rust. As pictured it weighs 26#. Not bad considering all of the steel parts. I haven’t weighed the bare frame. The co-op has a lot of recycled components which could be used for s quality build. We’ve developed a niche market building older, mid-level road bikes with riser bars and thumb shifters. Some even get index shifting. Does anyone know of any serious negatives about this brand?

Thanks & regards,

Van

-----

Hello Van,

curious as to the frame pump carried by the machine

it appears to wear two transfers upon its barrel

wondering if it may be Delta brand

the Delta crest shows a dromedary standing before a pyramid

thank you for any information

---

forgot to mention above that lug pattern appears to be Agrati "CORSA"

lower head lug item N. 021.8193

upper head lug item N. 021.8194

seat lug item N. 202.8529

here is a Daniel Rebour rendering done for Andre Bertin illustrating the machine's fork crown -

IIRC saddle pillar size is 26.2mm

-----

Last edited by juvela; 06-08-23 at 08:24 AM. Reason: addition
Old 06-08-23, 10:05 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
-
slightly surprised to read marque a new one to @gaucho777

it was sold by Velo Sport Cyclery on Grove Street (now Martin Luther King Jr. Way) in Berkeley in 1974
-----
You give me far too much credit! I didn't get seriously interested in cycling until the mid-80s. I did frequent Velo Sport in its final years, but I'm still comparatively somewhat of a young'un in these parts with much to learn.
Old 06-08-23, 10:19 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts
while i had encountered it on lower model italian machines of the later nineteen sixties and early nineteen seventies
I guess what I had in my mind was the possibility of protective import duties making "locally sourced" Italian parts more attractive on Italian bikes -- OTOH, then why did my 1971 Gitane Grand Sport come with Campy Valentino? Better shifting quality? And of course there's always the "whatever was available during the Bike Boom" factor. Anyway, I just do not recall seeing it back in the day; but there it is, in the photo.

Old 06-08-23, 06:52 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
-----

Hello Van,

curious as to the frame pump carried by the machine

it appears to wear two transfers upon its barrel

wondering if it may be Delta brand

the Delta crest shows a dromedary standing before a pyramid

thank you for any information

---

forgot to mention above that lug pattern appears to be Agrati "CORSA"

lower head lug item N. 021.8193

upper head lug item N. 021.8194

seat lug item N. 202.8529

here is a Daniel Rebour rendering done for Andre Bertin illustrating the machine's fork crown -

IIRC saddle pillar size is 26.2mm

-----
Hi,
The pump is labeled “SKS Pumps” on both the badge and on the recommended tire pressure label below it. Very badly weathered. The saddle pillar is indeed 26.2. BTW, I like your nomenclature. Strangely, I happen to have a 26.2 alloy pillar.

WOW, you either have a superb data base or one heck of a memory.😲
Cheers,
Van
Likes For Senior Ryder 00:
Old 06-09-23, 02:01 PM
juvela

-----

Hello Van,

thank you very much for your reply

---

SKS brand products manufactured in Sundern Germany by the firm of Scheffer-Klute GmbH

both frame and floor pumps offered

Outillage VAR carried a Scheffer-Klute floor pump in their catalogues for many years
always struck me that it might be the only item listed which was not self-produced

manufacturer yet in operation today -

​​​​​​https://www.sks-germany.com/

---

forgot to mention above -

the bicycle's Sheffield pedals are model Corsa Nr. 655
the destro feller appears to have been the experiencer of a spot o' trauma

these were done in both chrome and in zinc finish

the lateral distance between the inner and outer "spurs" on this model is fairly narrow so depending on foot size and shoe worn a rider may find a more comfortable fit with another model of pedal

---

if you open the OMG chainset you may discover the spindle centre to exhibit an oval recess with raised letters reading OMG

these stand for the Officina Mecchanica Galvanotecnica of Brescia

---

cycle shows three products from REG (Rampinelli) :

handlebar end caps Nr. 273

brake cable clips Nr. 751

pump holder cup (Ortelli) Nr. 376/S

---

the cycle's Balilla centrepull brake calipers have an interesting feature

depending on how one orients the mounting bolt they can be either short reach or long reach

the head of the mounting bolt has a lobe which can be oriented either up or down in the oval hole of the caliper's backing plate

---

hope you enjoy lots of good fun with the bike

-----