Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Old 05-04-04, 03:28 AM
borneo_cyclist

Bikes: china cheap bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here is my mountain bike which was used to commute 28 km round trip everyday. Another one is my newly acquire road bike. MTB price is USD 45 and road one is USD 65. Mountain bike has been used for a month.
Old 05-05-04, 01:43 PM
DanO220
SoCal Commuter

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck single/9 speed convertible, Novara Buzz beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenFix
Sorry, I do not have my pics here yet. I was thinking that in the other forums, there are pages and pages of bike pics. It would be nice to have pics of the bikes people commute on. I know around here I like checking out people commuting rides to see how they have modified them for comfort, visibility, utility, and style. Has this been started on this forum before? Could we lobby for a sticky?

I'll post some pics after the weekend when I can get some pics.
Great idea about the commuter pics. Here's a couple jpg's of the bike I spec'd just for commuting.
I have a full "road test", but it's too big for uploading. All the best. DanO
Old 05-05-04, 06:37 PM
DanO220
SoCal Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a jpg of my purpose built Surly Crosscheck commuter.
It features a Sram 7 speed hub, FSA cranks and a carbon fork.
Hey, how else do you save weight after spec'ing that Hub!

DanO
Old 05-05-04, 07:34 PM
darrencope

Bikes: Colnago Classic, Kona Dr. Dew, Giant ATX 740, Bianchi Strada, Eclipse Time Machine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanO220

DanO
*drools*

Sweet Ride DanO!
Old 05-06-04, 09:17 AM
SchreiberBike
One knee is enough

Bikes: 1978 Fuji - now fixed and pegged. 1980s Cannondale Touring - pegged with 18 speeds. 2001 Cannondale CADD 3 - not being ridden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

DanO
Very fine. Great commuter and great photograph too. How are you liking where you mounted the shifter? Keep us informed on how you like riding the Sram 7.
Old 05-06-04, 10:00 AM
billwatson58
Planet Saver

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10, Novara Randonee, Raleigh Super Grand Prix, Schwinn Mirada Sport winter beater

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji S12-S from the local police auction. I've added fenders, a bell, and swapped out seats. Switched to kevlar belted tires, which is important for riding in the glass on the west side of Chicago. I'd like to change handlebars eventually.
Old 05-06-04, 10:03 AM
billwatson58
Planet Saver

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10, Novara Randonee, Raleigh Super Grand Prix, Schwinn Mirada Sport winter beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billwatson58
Fuji S12-S from the local police auction. I've added fenders, a bell, and swapped out seats. Switched to kevlar belted tires, which is important for riding in the glass on the west side of Chicago. I'd like to change handlebars eventually.
One more thing - I put my older set of Speedplay pedals on, which is a big improvements. Dem' original pedals with toe clips was heavy!
Old 05-06-04, 10:06 AM
billwatson58
Planet Saver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darrencope
*drools*

Sweet Ride DanO!
I'm wiping my chin as well. That is one good looking commuter!!
Old 05-06-04, 02:31 PM
mtessmer
Bikeman

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

DanO
Looks great!!! The only thing I'd add is fenders.
Old 05-06-04, 02:38 PM
robertsdvd
floor sleeper

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Puch 3 speed road conversion, lookin' into a Karate Monkey for a cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtessmer
I've said it before and I'll say it again... fenders are dang sexy! and I'd add that hub gears are too now that I have one.

DanO, I know I mentioned it before, I ride with my shifter on a spacegrip next to my cross levers, how do you like your's down there and what did you use to mount them there?
Old 05-06-04, 03:29 PM
DanO220
SoCal Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robertsdvd
I've said it before and I'll say it again... fenders are dang sexy! and I'd add that hub gears are too now that I have one.

DanO, I know I mentioned it before, I ride with my shifter on a spacegrip next to my cross levers, how do you like your's down there and what did you use to mount them there?
Robert;

Though I've never been a fan of traditional friction bar ends I find the reach to the twist grip on my right drop to be very natural - even when standing. Perhaps this is because it's a clicker and I don't have to concentrate on shifting that much. The only superior arrangemet I can think of would be Shimano's new 8 speed sport hub which will be compatible with STI shifters.

As far as how I mounted it: I got lucky when scrounging for cheap used parts when I came across an old Cinelli bar at a local shop. The tubing was pretty thick, and of such a diameter that a piece of cheap steel MTB bar slid right into the end with little play. I secured the extension by drilling and tapping both bars and screwing in two small hex head cap bolts. Like I said, I got lucky. I don't think any of the newer bars made out of thinner walled tubing would have tolerated this kind of abuse, er, modification. One draw back to mounting this shifter on the end is that the the twist part of the grip can - and has - fallen off because the rest of the handgrip is not there to hold it on. I've been lazy in fabricating some sort of end cap to prevent this, so I'm just careful, so as not to end up with a single speed half way through my commute.

Take it easy. DanO

PS. I attempted to e-mail you via your web site. I attached a PDF document of a "road test" about this bike that was too large to post on the forum. If by chance you didn't recieve it and would like to check it out let me know.
Old 05-06-04, 03:39 PM
robertsdvd
floor sleeper

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Puch 3 speed road conversion, lookin' into a Karate Monkey for a cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey DanO, I'll check my email, I get so much a lot of it gets missed... aye, I'm glad they're coming out with an STI shifter for the 8, though unfortunately I plan on using the 8 with a bike that will have V-brakes... so I'm locked into my 287V's... thus I'm also glad that they will be releasing a revo shifter for the 8 alone (stand lone, not a brifter)... though the stand alone shifter won't be out until the coaster brake edition which is still another 6 months from what I hear... oh I'm anxious!
Old 05-06-04, 03:42 PM
DanO220
SoCal Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtessmer
Don't need fenders in Southern California. DanO
Old 05-06-04, 03:44 PM
robertsdvd
floor sleeper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't need fenders in Southern California. DanO
Yes, but don't you want your bike to be too sexy for its rider?
Old 05-06-04, 03:47 PM
DanO220
SoCal Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robertsdvd
Hey DanO, I'll check my email, I get so much a lot of it gets missed... aye, I'm glad they're coming out with an STI shifter for the 8, though unfortunately I plan on using the 8 with a bike that will have V-brakes... so I'm locked into my 287V's... thus I'm also glad that they will be releasing a revo shifter for the 8 alone (stand lone, not a brifter)... though the stand alone shifter won't be out until the coaster brake edition which is still another 6 months from what I hear... oh I'm anxious!
I tried running Avid cantilevers (old school cyclocross and all that...) but had to switch to V-brakes. The cantees were awful. The front especially did not agree with the carbon fork... made it shimmy all over the place. Anyway, I run those roller adapters between my road levers and V-brakes and they work fine.
Old 05-06-04, 03:49 PM
robertsdvd
floor sleeper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried running Avid cantilevers (old school cyclocross and all that...) but had to switch to V-brakes. The cantees were awful. The front especially did not agree with the carbon fork... made it shimmy all over the place. Anyway, I run those roller adapters between my road levers and V-brakes and they work fine.
I tried those... I couldn't get down with them... so I tossed'em... maybe I'll try again.. I guess that shows how closely I pay attention to details sometimes... I was just admiring it as a whole i guess and that oh so purty chainline No wait, ok, I'm not a dimwit... that photo still has the canti's... <phew>
Old 05-06-04, 09:56 PM
baltazar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is one of mine, a '93 Raleigh...
Old 05-07-04, 10:05 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't have a picture, but I've got a trek 400 with 700 28c tires, a rack and a grocery-sack clipped on that carries my backpack. I use SPD pedals and a suspension seatpost with a gel seat. All this for a grand 5 Miles. But I'm comfy.
Old 05-10-04, 11:05 AM
OhiOH
But I'm saving $ on gas!

Bikes: LeMond Victoire (pure fun), Trek 1200 (commuter), Trek 930 MTB (winter commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This isn’t my bike, but this guy takes commuting to a new level.

I was on a big organized ride this weekend (TOSRV) and a guy had this machine entertaining at the lunch stop. It is a totally self contained music machine. It has a keyboard attached to the handle bars a set of speakers and I think an amplifier running off what looks like a 12v battery.
Old 05-18-04, 10:11 AM
kerny
two wheeler

Bikes: daily rider...gary fisher Capitola , trek mountain trak 800 , schwinn la tour road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ride....specialized triple.....low-end but i love it.

kern
Old 05-18-04, 10:23 PM
magnuscaleb
Voltron Pilot

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is my ride (specialized rockhopper) which was used to commute 20 miles round trip everyday
Old 05-19-04, 06:42 PM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Until recently it was this beastie - '99ish Giant Farrago. Changed the tires for 700x32 Panaracers, lowered the adjustable stem, and added a rear rack.

It finally gave up the ghost last week, so I'm currently searching for a replacement. The whole drive train is pretty much at the end of it's useful life and the rear wheel has failed, and I can't really justify spending much money on it considering I'd rather be doing my 25-30 mile round trip commute on a better fitting frame with drop bars. I'm intending to source a new rear wheel to turn this one into a single-speed grocery getter and errand bike. Moustache bars might get the nod, too...

Last edited by Stubacca; 05-20-04 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-20-04, 01:11 PM
Jay H
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is my commuter bike that also doubles as my touring bike. This is me on a circumavigation of Lake Champlain back in 2002... I tried to see Champ but failed

However, that is the same bike that I commute in. It was a CC tour so I didn't have my front panniers and front rack on at that time either.

Jay
Old 05-21-04, 05:14 AM
Desk Rider

Bikes: Decathlon Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the bike I use for my commute and other errands: Decathlon Road Triban 5.

This is from the manufacturer's website, I currently have no picture of my own.

Alu frame/Nexus 7 gear hub/700 wheels/slick tires.

I'm not too sure whether this bike qualifies as a hybrid?
Old 06-06-04, 04:21 PM
campkev
Paranoid Schizophrenic*

Bikes: Trek 7100.... Stop Laughing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok here is some better pics of my "fairly low-end" and yet "oh how I love it" bike
I commute about 12 miles on it 5 days a week (estimates only) and do "family fun rides" quite often. Those miles add up too believe me. I've had this bike about two months now and I bet I've logged 600 miles on it already. That number probably won't impress many people here, but hey I'm pretty new at this stuff so I'll just go ahead and impress myself

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.