Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Charlotte, NC area

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-13, 08:44 PM
benajah
One legged rider

Bikes: Kuota Kharma, Surly LHT, CAAD9, Bianchi fg/ss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Charlotte, NC area

I just moved to Charlotte, NC from the SF Bay area in California. I know the road racing scene won't be anything like California but does anyone on here have any familiarity with the area in terms of clubs, good races in NC, good training routes, etc? I grew up around here but stuck to mountain biking and didn't get into road racing until I lived in CA.
Thanks
Old 08-31-13, 07:13 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a good bit of riding in Charlotte and a number of guys on this forum. Hopefully they post up and let you know more.

I race a lot of the same races as the region is SC/NC. Lots of good racing! You can find more at https://www.ncsccyclingassoc.com/.
Old 08-31-13, 09:32 AM
benajah
One legged rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. I appreciate it.
Old 09-02-13, 06:44 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I don't know why you would assume the racing in NC won't be as good. I'm in the Triangle. I can do about 50 races a year withou driving more than two hours.
Old 09-03-13, 06:48 AM
cmschmie
MyBikeRunsonNukePower

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Expert / 2009 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I do not race there is a great site for the area www.weeklyrides.com that has quite a bit of information.

I think that the most active club for racing is https://www.charlottesportscycling.com/

Welcome (back) to the area.
Old 09-04-13, 06:09 PM
benajah
One legged rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Probably just since I have been here I rarely see road riders out training. Back in California it was just so ubiquitous, and when I was growing up here in NC it was all about MTB (but then again I have been gone 15 years) but the more I have researched, thanks to the direction Creatre pointed me in I am seeing a lot more. Hoping to find a club in the next few weeks to start joining on group rides.
Old 09-09-13, 01:49 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. There's a good bit of riding, plus a brand new 250m velodrome in Rock Hill. You can race basically any weekend you want to in some fashion. Check out 36th Street Racing, that's the club I'm with, they have a few rides a week that are good for getting to know people, racers from various teams are there. Very active team with lots of racing and group riding and hanging out.

Orr Rd crit on Tuesday nights is also a great place to find out who is racing, which teams you like and don't like, etc. It's an unofficial office park crit, P/1/2/3/4/5/6, not official, but that doesn't mean it isn't fast. You can find out more on weeklyrides.com as someone mentioned, it's an amazing resource (and a sponsor of my team, for disclosure).

Which part of town are you in? I'm in University but 36th Street is based in NoDa. Orr Rd is between my house and NoDa.

I'm usually out on the Thursday and Sunday 36th Street rides, as well as Tuesday when I feel like getting my teeth kicked in. Presbyterian Sports Medicine (also Uptown Cycles is a title sponsor) kit or often NC State kit, on a Ridley Noah. I'm hard to miss, I'm the guy off the back on the nice bike.