Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage fixie: modern or vintage cockpit?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-20, 08:40 AM
pstake 

Bikes: Which one?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts

I'm posting after not finding info or photos through multiple searches...

I'm going to be rebuilding my fixie onto a new frame after the top tube cracked on my Miyata 914 frame. It's a known issue. This is one of the frames from before Miyata reinforced the holes for the top-tube cable routing, which is where cracks developed. I've been riding the frame for about five years. I may or may not take the Miyata to a welder but I've already got a new frame coming, a mid-80s Raleigh 531.

On the Miyata, I've been running a 1" threadless Columbus steel fork with a flat threadless stem and 31.8 handlebars. It's comfortable but I don't love the look of that setup. The Raleigh is coming with its original threaded, chrome fork, and running that original fork does have some appeal to me. That said, keeping the Columbus fork would simplify things as I could swap all parts over with minimal additional investment.

I'm wondering if A) a different, angled threadless 31.8 stem that is parallel to the ground would improve the cosmetics enough or B) using the Raleigh's original fork with a quill stem for 31.8 handlebars would be a better answer. Lastly, C), I could pick up a quill stem for 25.4/26mm and run period correct bars. I would probably go randonneur style. The brake levers are a factor in my thinking on all of the above. They are modern, vintage-style aero levers with drillium and tan hoods. I like them and would prefer to keep. If I was rebuilding as a road bike, I would use STIs, in which case the answer would be simple for me from a cosmetic standpoint -- threadless, 31.8.

For the fixed gear setup, I'm not sure and don't want to buy parts if I don't need them, and I can't find many photos of the various A, B, C options to get a better idea. Weight is a consideration but not a deal breaker. I'd like to keep it light but the wheels I'm running are Surly flip flops and not exactly lightweight. I'm also planning to keep the Brooks saddle although I have lighter saddle options in my parts bin so I could change my mind.

Any input and photos are appreciated.

​​​​​​​
Old 03-29-20, 08:51 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Do they make a 1" quill stem for 31. bars? Will that current stem flip over and flat? If so I'd just simplify things and get a 1" quill to threadless adapter

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-29-20, 09:25 AM
pstake 

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Do they make a 1" quill stem for 31. bars? Will that current stem flip over and flat? If so I'd just simplify things and get a 1" quill to threadless adapter

Its a 0 degree stem. Flipped over it looks the same.
Old 03-29-20, 12:23 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Wait for the Raleigh, swap the wheels and drivetrain in first. Hook up brakes with whatever calipers you have and test ride it first. That's the best way to not overspend.
Then decide what needs to be dialed in. The fork issue may go away.
Likes For clubman:
Old 03-29-20, 02:03 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
I’m in a similar situation excluding the threadless bit (ruined one frame, moving most everything onto another and really not wanting to simultaneously buy more stuff and fill the parts bin).

I’ve been sticking with period-correct deep drops and Tektro aero levers for years as my wrists really like the flat bottoms and I really like the quasi-pista look.

The height that you have your stem at on the Miyata makes it seem like the quill-to-threadless adapter would be nauseatingly ugly compared to a Technomic and some 26.0 compact drops.

I’ve been considering either Soma or V-O’s compact drops so as to discourage being down in such a low tuck in traffic as I often am (it seems that most people treat compacts as bullhorns that happen to have vestigial drops for climbing/sprinting)... and also to look like less of a relegated-to-bike-via-DUI rider. Also in the running is the VO Postino or a Lauterwasser as with those I can still get semi-aero and climbing/sprinting leverage might not be significantly hampered(?). I know I can use drop levers on the Postino as if it were a moustache b/c I did it for a bike I gave to my sister... don’t know if I can do the same with the Lauterwasser.

I definitely do prefer to have the flat bottoms so much so that I am saving and researching rando/deep drop bars for my modern roadie. Probably going Zipp or Ritchey.

I don’t know if there’s a non-ugly 31.8 quill, but if you find one, grab it!

Wordy, sorry. I vote Technomic and V-O Compacts for your “new” SS because 1) that’s what your wrists might be used to 2) the only time threadless stems look good on skinny frames is when they’re slammed 3) no DUI aesthetics 4) I doubt that fork will match the Raleigh.

Last edited by hsuBM; 03-29-20 at 02:36 PM.
Likes For hsuBM:
Old 03-29-20, 03:01 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
They do, but the proportions are a bit odd:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...1%22+stem+31.8

Also not a fan of 2-bolt faceplates, but the stems in the pics do have an interesting interlock casting.

Last edited by chainwhip; 03-29-20 at 03:08 PM.
Likes For chainwhip:
Old 03-29-20, 03:15 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by pstake
Its a 0 degree stem. Flipped over it looks the same.
The stem in the photo is clearly not a zero degree.
Likes For chainwhip:
Old 03-29-20, 05:24 PM
pstake 

Originally Posted by chainwhip
The stem in the photo is clearly not a zero degree.
It clearly is. It's angled up at the same 72 degrees from parallel as the steer tube.
Old 03-29-20, 05:41 PM
pstake 

Originally Posted by hsuBM
I’m in a similar situation excluding the threadless bit (ruined one frame, moving most everything onto another and really not wanting to simultaneously buy more stuff and fill the parts bin).

I’ve been sticking with period-correct deep drops and Tektro aero levers for years as my wrists really like the flat bottoms and I really like the quasi-pista look.

The height that you have your stem at on the Miyata makes it seem like the quill-to-threadless adapter would be nauseatingly ugly compared to a Technomic and some 26.0 compact drops.

I’ve been considering either Soma or V-O’s compact drops so as to discourage being down in such a low tuck in traffic as I often am (it seems that most people treat compacts as bullhorns that happen to have vestigial drops for climbing/sprinting)... and also to look like less of a relegated-to-bike-via-DUI rider. Also in the running is the VO Postino or a Lauterwasser as with those I can still get semi-aero and climbing/sprinting leverage might not be significantly hampered(?). I know I can use drop levers on the Postino as if it were a moustache b/c I did it for a bike I gave to my sister... don’t know if I can do the same with the Lauterwasser.

I definitely do prefer to have the flat bottoms so much so that I am saving and researching rando/deep drop bars for my modern roadie. Probably going Zipp or Ritchey.

I don’t know if there’s a non-ugly 31.8 quill, but if you find one, grab it!

Wordy, sorry. I vote Technomic and V-O Compacts for your “new” SS because 1) that’s what your wrists might be used to 2) the only time threadless stems look good on skinny frames is when they’re slammed 3) no DUI aesthetics 4) I doubt that fork will match the Raleigh.
Thank you! I'm leaning in this direction more and more.

Hope to see photos when you're done and I'll post some of mine to this thread.
Old 04-04-20, 11:24 AM
pstake 

chainwhip I have to eat some crow. You were right. It's not a flat stem.

I'm going try it on the Raleigh flipped the other way.
Old 04-07-20, 12:25 PM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
I did a little looking recently when trying to rough match some bars to a vintage 3TTT stem (thread in here somewhere). I really liked the look of the 3TTT Morphe bars shape, very rando-esque and hadn't seen them around much. If they had the more vintage/classic engraved center section, instead of printed, I'd have bought them in a heartbeat. Grooved though, you may not need/want that with your setup. Nice Morphes at the link (but pricey), and several were listed on the auction site last I checked. 3T Morphe handlebars - South Salem Cycleworks

I ended up going with a more classic looking setup for now (3TTT Record Grand Prix Ergo/double groove I think, VeloBase.com - Component: 3ttt Record Grand Prix (later version - dual groove)). The bar is still sitting in the box while I fiddle with another bike (winter upgrades gone overtime) before I get back to my Bianchi (which the 3TTT setup is for).

Not sure if you're going for a certain brand or look for the Raleigh. I've been happy with the new to me Technomic stem on my overdue winter upgrade setup, that I just picked up, paired with the ubiquitous Nitto Noodles, also new to me. YMMV - these are both for brifter bikes.
Old 04-07-20, 12:43 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
The only attractive threadless stems I know of are Velo Orange's and Nitto's. Nitto's is exactly what you're looking for except for price...it's a 1-1/8 threadless stem with a 26.0mm clamp diameter. I didn't look around much, but this ebay listing is for $225.
Velo Orange: https://velo-orange.com/collections/...stem-31-8-rise
ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nitto-Lugge...r=690850068094

Spoiler

And one simply cannot mention shapely threadless stems without linking to Velo Orange's Cigne stem, which is french for schlong swan.
Spoiler

Likes For Piff:
Old 04-07-20, 01:02 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by pstake
quill stem for 31.8 handlebars
Originally Posted by chainwhip
They do, but the proportions are a bit odd:
Velo Orange also makes a 31.8 quill. Not the prettiest thing, but at least the tubing is skinny enough that they look more appropriate on a vintage steel bike.

At $80, though, you might end up being better off finding a set of your preferred handlebars and then grabbing a cheap 25.4 or 26mm quill stem from a Co-Op or eBay.

Originally Posted by Piff
The only attractive threadless stems I know of are Velo Orange's and Nitto's. Nitto's is exactly what you're looking for except for price...it's a 1-1/8 threadless stem with a 26.0mm clamp diameter. I didn't look around much, but this ebay listing is for $225.

I very much like the VO Tall Stack stem ​​​​​​​
Likes For abshipp:
Old 04-12-20, 04:36 PM
pstake 

Here's an update on the fixie rebuild.
Likes For pstake: