Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Still searching for a comfortable wide cycling shoe

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Still searching for a comfortable wide cycling shoe

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-21, 01:35 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
I have both a Mountain and Road pair of Sidi Mega, that fit comfortably with my EE width. Actually once broken in, they are almost too wide with thin socks.
Of course, if your feet are wider than the EEE spec, that's not going to work.

BITD, I purchased a shoe stretcher, mostly for my military footwear:

It worked wonders on Bike shoes that were not wide, as well as other footwear.
bike uppers are designed not to stretch. I wonder if that forced stretching takes some years out to the life of the shoe?
Old 05-12-21, 02:01 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
bike uppers are designed not to stretch. I wonder if that forced stretching takes some years out to the life of the shoe?
Ha, yeah. Mine are molded LPU over aramid cloth. Good luck stretching that!
Old 05-13-21, 06:30 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Ha, yeah. Mine are molded LPU over aramid cloth. Good luck stretching that!
I've stretched 3 pairs of bike shoes, all Shimano, over the years. One MTB racing pair still going strong for 11 years. Any upper will stretch a little bit.. even stiff synthetic bike shoes.
Old 05-13-21, 07:23 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
Is there a premium wide cycling shoe that I haven't tried, that I should?
I didn't see any mention of S-Works in your OP, those are the first shoes I recommend when anyone mentions "wide feet". Very comfortable, very accomodating of wide feet, and as nicely made as any other premium cycling shoe I've seen. The high arch thing can be addressed by the inclusion of Specialized BG insoles.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 05-13-21, 07:29 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
If a Sidi Mega is tight, you might need custom shoes

https://www.d2shoe.com/about
Old 05-13-21, 05:41 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
I'm using Fizik Tempo Overcurve R4 Wide. They are way more comfortable than the Shimano RC7 they replaced. The RC7s were stiffer, but not in a good way for me. The Fizik R4 is not an all-out race shoe, but has proven to be a great all-day Sportive/GF shoe for me.
Old 05-13-21, 11:22 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Received my Sidi Ergo 5 Megas today. Initial fit they feel really good. Stuck my Specialized insoles in from another shoe and I am happy enough to keep them. I think they will work really well. I am also warming up to my RC902s a bit more. I think the pattern I am starting to see is that I do not like a tubbed carbon type of shoe that has carbon that wraps around the foot and up along the sides.

The RC902s are stiff in the sole which feels good transferring power, but the structure of the shoe it’s self is not stiff like I found with Bont and the Lake CX403. I’ll report back but I like what I feel so far.
Old 05-18-21, 09:31 AM
Riz98

Bikes: Felt AR3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered the Shimano RC7 Wide and initial fit is great. This is my first cycling shoe but went around the the LBS's and none of those shoes fit at all. Tried to size up with a couple of the shoes and they were all still too tight. Normally wear between 8.5-9 wide and went with the 43's based on reviews from others that have the shoe.
Old 05-19-21, 11:14 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
...I don't have super wide feet, just wide...Is there a premium wide cycling shoe that I haven't tried, that I should?
Maybe not what you're looking for but in a similar situation what finally solved my problem was going back to flats.
Five Ten Freeriders fit my wide (but not super wide) feet.
My initial pedals were only ok but then I got Dmr Vaults and together with the freeriders they're the most comfortable thing I've ever used on a bike. More comfortable than regular shoes walking around even.

It's what worked for me.
Old 05-20-21, 03:58 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Maybe not what you're looking for but in a similar situation what finally solved my problem was going back to flats.
My initial pedals were only ok but then I got Dmr Vaults and together with the freeriders they're the most comfortable thing I've ever used on a bike. More comfortable than regular shoes walking around even.

It's what worked for me.
I use FiveTen Freeriders on my mtb for trail riding, but would never even consider them for road riding. For a start you would need to fit flat pedals. They are comfortable though.
Old 05-20-21, 07:17 AM
InvertedMP 

It's what worked for me.
Interesting, you use them for road biking? I absolutely need a road bike shoe.

I have had a couple good rides with the Sidi Ergo 5 Megas and I am mad I didn't give them a chance earlier.
Old 05-20-21, 03:50 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Interesting, you use them for road biking? I absolutely need a road bike shoe.

I have had a couple good rides with the Sidi Ergo 5 Megas and I am mad I didn't give them a chance earlier.
I also use mtb flats for my road bike. I have wide dumb feet and just can't find comfy road shoes. I've tried lake, bont, s works wide, etc.

Inov8 ultra minimalist trail runners (wide toe box), specialized blue BG insole, and Bontrager MTB flat pedals.

I did a 600km audax ride in 36 hours on that setup two weeks ago 👍
Likes For SapInMyBlood:
Old 05-21-21, 04:58 PM
PaulRivers

Interesting, you use them for road biking? I absolutely need a road bike shoe. I have had a couple good rides with the Sidi Ergo 5 Megas and I am mad I didn't give them a chance earlier.
Yeah. I'm not a racer and fashion wise I aim for mountain bike fashion personally. I remember finishing a ride with the typical foot numbness starting halfway through and then staying numb afterwards, then I read someone on bike forums talk about how five tens kept your foot solidly connected on the pedal and gave it a try - I bike for enjoyment why keep suffering through pain for something I'm doing to enjoy myself with? I don't see any practical advantages to clipless for me having used both extensively.

I just remember the first time it really hit me, I stepped off the bike at the end of the ride and my foot felt totally normal. No numbness, no hotspot, no pain, I was so used to going through it I had just thought there was no alternative. Some peoples feet seem to handle clipless just fine but mine don't.

On the topic of wide shoes I noticed Lake offers not just Wide but an Extra Wide category fyi:
https://lakecycling.com/collections/extra-wide

Wish you luck finding something so you can ride comfortably.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 05-21-21 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-21-21, 05:14 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I use FiveTen Freeriders on my mtb for trail riding, but would never even consider them for road riding. For a start you would need to fit flat pedals. They are comfortable though.
Lol...well in the fashion contest I lean more towards mountain bike shorts and a t-shirt anyways so I suppose it's not really a drawback for me...

Last edited by PaulRivers; 05-21-21 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-21-21, 05:42 PM
PeteHski

Yeah. I'm not a racer and fashion wise I aim for mountain bike fashion personally. I remember finishing a ride with the typical foot numbness starting halfway through and then staying numb afterwards, then I read someone on bike forums talk about how five tens kept your foot solidly connected on the pedal and gave it a try - I bike for enjoyment why keep suffering through pain for something I'm doing to enjoy myself with? I don't see any practical advantages to clipless for me having used both extensively.

I just remember the first time it really hit me, I stepped off the bike at the end of the ride and my foot felt totally normal. No numbness, no hotspot, no pain, I was so used to going through it I had just thought there was no alternative. Some peoples feet seem to handle clipless just fine but mine don't.

On the topic of wide shoes I noticed Lake offers not just Wide but an Extra Wide category fyi:
https://lakecycling.com/collections/extra-wide

Wish you luck finding something so you can ride comfortably.
I have to say Five Tens Freerides are very comfortable and suit wider feet nicely. They are easy shoes to get along with and certainly my benchmark for mtb. Finding a clipless wide road shoe with similar comfort is a bit more of a challenge, but not impossible. I've found that staying away from super-stiff carbon soled race shoes is a good strategy and has the bonus of being considerably cheaper too! Fizik got the balance between stiffness and comfort pretty spot on for me with the Overcurve R4 and the wide fit version has a very generous toe-box. I can wear the R4s all day long without any hint of foot numbness or pain (which I am quite prone to suffering) just like the Five Tens, but they are way lighter and I just prefer being clipped in when road riding. I've always wanted to try a pair of Lake shoes in a wide fitting at some point, but shoes have gone off my radar since I don't currently have any foot issues to complain about!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-21-21, 05:44 PM
PeteHski

Lol...well in the fashion contest I lean more towards mountain bike shorts and a t-shirt anyways so I suppose it's not really a drawback for me...
The drawbacks for me have zero to do with fashion. Not sure where you got that idea from.
Old 05-21-21, 05:49 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I didn't see any mention of S-Works in your OP, those are the first shoes I recommend when anyone mentions "wide feet". Very comfortable, very accomodating of wide feet, and as nicely made as any other premium cycling shoe I've seen. The high arch thing can be addressed by the inclusion of Specialized BG insoles.
Yup. I use the standard S-Works Recon and my foot isn't very wide, but it has a very generous toe box. They have a wide version as well. Great shoe, super comfortable and super stiff. Specialized has custom insoles with three different arch heights. I highly recommend looking into the S-Works line.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 05-21-21, 06:30 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 510 Times in 350 Posts
The Sidi Mega MTB shoes weren't quite right for me. I also had no luck finding cushy insoles to replace the thin Sidi insoles. I couldn't find insoles wide enough that still were reasonably the correct length.

I recently got Lake MX241 in Wide. The LBS only had the road shoe version of these, and I tried those on for fit. These fit exactly the same when they arrived.
I have foot joint problems, and not much padding under the foot, so Oboz hiking insoles worked great on these shoes. My riding comfort much better now, I wish I had gotten these a few years ago. These shoes are very expensive, but completely worth it to me. I got these slightly large, and wear thicker socks for better padding all around (and better in winter too.)

It's got to be difficult if you can't try the shoes on in advance.
Old 05-21-21, 10:50 PM
InvertedMP 

Originally Posted by rm -rf
The Sidi Mega MTB shoes weren't quite right for me. I also had no luck finding cushy insoles to replace the thin Sidi insoles. I couldn't find insoles wide enough that still were reasonably the correct length.

I recently got Lake MX241 in Wide. The LBS only had the road shoe version of these, and I tried those on for fit. These fit exactly the same when they arrived.
I have foot joint problems, and not much padding under the foot, so Oboz hiking insoles worked great on these shoes. My riding comfort much better now, I wish I had gotten these a few years ago. These shoes are very expensive, but completely worth it to me. I got these slightly large, and wear thicker socks for better padding all around (and better in winter too.)

It's got to be difficult if you can't try the shoes on in advance.
I threw Specialized insoles in my Ergo 5 Megas and they work really well.