Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What are the D rings for on Ortlieb Bags?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 02-28-22, 04:33 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

I just got one set of the Ortlieb Sport-roller classics and love 'em.
Can't figure out what the purpose of the D rings on the fronts of the bags are for though. Are they just additional attachment points? Are you supposed to tie two bags together across the rack's platform (when using on the rear) via the D rings to prevent rattles?

Thanks

Old 02-28-22, 05:59 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
I have hung a lock from them, but if there is an official purpose I do not know what it is.

Later I started to use the strap over the top to hold my lock instead, as the D ring is plastic and not that strong, I did not want to lose a lock if it broke.
Old 02-28-22, 06:30 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
The D rings are for the shoulder straps.

All Ortleib bags come with shoulder straps so you can detach the bag from your rack and carry it with you - such as if you have valuables and you want to carry them with you when you go in to a restaurant or what ever.

I am not sure how many of us really use a pannier bag in this manner, but that is what the D rings are for. I have several Ortleib shoulder straps still new in the bag that came with all mine.

The only bag I have carried with me, and will keep in my tent with me, is my handlebar bag - for obvious reasons - important stuff is in there and stuff I need access to routinely through the day and night. Though, I don't really use the shoulder strap. I just carry it.
Old 02-28-22, 06:41 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,469 Times in 7,310 Posts
I bring a shoulder strap with me when I tour. Useful when I leave the other bags in camp and make a grocery run. Same when I am home and ride to the market.
Old 02-28-22, 07:11 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
The D rings are for the shoulder straps.

All Ortleib bags come with shoulder straps so you can detach the bag from your rack and carry it with you - such as if you have valuables and you want to carry them with you when you go in to a restaurant or what ever.

I am not sure how many of us really use a pannier bag in this manner, but that is what the D rings are for. I have several Ortleib shoulder straps still new in the bag that came with all mine.

The only bag I have carried with me, and will keep in my tent with me, is my handlebar bag - for obvious reasons - important stuff is in there and stuff I need access to routinely through the day and night. Though, I don't really use the shoulder strap. I just carry it.
Can you explain how the straps are supposed to connect to the D rings? On mine (like the pic in the OP) the straps are connected with buckles.
Old 02-28-22, 10:25 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
The shoulder straps on Ortlieb Roller panniers are already connected to the bag with buckles. There is not any reason to connect the shoulder strap to the center D ring. It is my understanding that the D ring on the center strap is used to lash additional gear to the top of the rack with a bungee cord or strap.

Shoulder straps are great when you have to carry your gear into a hotel or onto a train. I can carry my 4 panniers, rack pack, and bar bag onto a train without too much of a struggle. It could not be done without shoulder straps.

My wife and I carried all our gear from the passenger car to the baggage car to retrieve our bikes in one trip. She only uses two rear panniers, rack pack, and bar bag. Sometimes she can grab one of my bags.

Last edited by Doug64; 03-01-22 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-28-22, 11:19 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
From the Ortlieb data sheet on the Sport Roller.

Additional closure with buckle and D-ring (when the bag is carried with the shoulder strap)
They don’t say how they are to be used. The shoulder strap is hooked on the bottom of the pannier. I use the D-ring on mine to control the straps on the buckle so that they don’t flap around

…sometimes.

To be fair, I was rummaging around in side the bags in the rain and didn’t hook them back up. Considering that the day’s “ride” consisted of riding to the ferry, taking the ferry to Makinac Island and then taking the ferry to Mackinaw City (at most 5 miles), it didn’t matter that the straps were flapping around.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-01-22, 01:50 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Ortlieb rack pack duffel bag

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 03-01-22, 06:54 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by base2
Good guess, but I think not. I use the pannier strap buckle to clip into the Rack Pack buckle. Pannier D ring not used. Shoulder strap for Rack Pack stowed. Shoulder strap for pannier in the hook.

The Rack Pack D rings are used for the Rack Pack shoulder strap. The strap clipped into the bag in the photo below is not the original Ortlieb strap, used a different strap on this trip.

Old 03-01-22, 08:17 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Re rack pack, I too use the rack pack buckles to hold it onto each panniers middle top buckle. Handy and fast method.

KC, I too use the straps as intended, with their end buckles that buckle to the panniers buckles, they don't have hooks that can be used on a D ring. Take a look at your straps.

Come to think of it, I've never used these D buckles ever....in close to 30 years of using Ortliebs... but they certainly could be handy one day with a Bungie or a strap if needed to strap something larger onto your rear rack and panniers---and really probably why they are still put on Ortliebs, as another option for travelers.
Old 03-01-22, 08:23 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I use them for hanging on a nail in my garage
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 03-01-22, 09:25 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
According to Ortlieb "They serve as additional fixing points for mounting or for carrying straps".

If the question was meant to ask how we use them -- We attach colored coded ties to identify bags (which person, which side of the bike), to assist in figuring out what goes where. (a better way would be to have bags of different colors, but they are typically sold in matching pairs).
Old 03-01-22, 10:55 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by gauvins
... We attach colored coded ties to identify bags (which person, which side of the bike), to assist in figuring out what goes where. (a better way would be to have bags of different colors, but they are typically sold in matching pairs).
I have not traveled with another that had the same color and style of Ortliebs, so I have only had to worry about confusing the starboard (green) or port side (red) panniers, color coding with a bit of colored tape on the pannier works fine.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-01-22, 01:59 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Doesn't the backside hook give away it's likely side ? Mine always point rearward (or towards the stern for MSN Tourist)
Likes For robow:
Old 03-01-22, 04:35 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by robow
Doesn't the backside hook give away it's likely side ? Mine always point rearward (or towards the stern for MSN Tourist)
Rear Ortlieb panniers, hooks towards the stern, works the same on the two different rear racks I use.

Front Ortlieb, I use three different model of racks on my three touring bikes, the hooks are not reliably pointed aft (to the rear).

And I have had a set of Carradry panniers, finally tried them for the first time on my last tour, thus two different sets of panniers complicate things.

Color coding simplifies everything.
Old 03-01-22, 04:54 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Yes, the hooks are a great indicator, but I also use zip ties on my panniers: red for port and green for starboard. More importantly to me, the red indicates the gear, toiletries, towel and clothes I use when stopped, and the green indicate bike clothes, rain gear, tools, spare tubes, etc, that I use on the "go". It makes it easy to look at the bag when it is off the bike and know what is in it. Then the load is balanced out by moving some things around, and hopefully I know where most of my things are located.

Last edited by Doug64; 03-01-22 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-01-22, 06:03 PM
Steve0000

Bikes: LHT disc, Cannondale CAAD8, Cannondale Super 6, Avanti Agressor MTB

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I write 'L' and 'R' on the back side of my panniers. What could be simpler?
Old 03-01-22, 07:20 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve0000
I write 'L' and 'R' on the back side of my panniers. What could be simpler?
Such logic of that nature will only ensure you merit a deduction in style points.
Old 03-13-22, 11:11 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
When not using my rack pack, I put wet items or items that need to be aired out in a small mesh lingerie bag (or two) and hang the bags on the D-rings with carabiners. Excellent way to dry or deodorize things while you ride.
Likes For MAK:
Old 03-14-22, 08:36 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Good guess, but I think not. I use the pannier strap buckle to clip into the Rack Pack buckle. Pannier D ring not used. Shoulder strap for Rack Pack stowed. Shoulder strap for pannier in the hook.
I think you're the first person to post a pic of the setup that makes sense.^^^ I always wondered what the hell I was supposed to do with the shoulder strap (I bought used bags so if they came with instructions, I never got them)...... Here, I've been setting them up like this all along:

Thank you for the education!!!
Old 03-14-22, 12:58 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
I think you're the first person to post a pic of the setup that makes sense.^^^ I always wondered what the hell I was supposed to do with the shoulder strap (I bought used bags so if they came with instructions, I never got them)....
Happy to help. My first tour I was not buckling my Rack Pack right, but someone in a campground also had that setup and I saw how he did it.
Old 03-15-22, 08:04 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
I think you're the first person to post a pic of the setup that makes sense.^^^ I always wondered what the hell I was supposed to do with the shoulder strap (I bought used bags so if they came with instructions, I never got them)...... Here, I've been setting them up like this all along:

You aren’t setting yours up wrong. I don’t even carry the straps because they are mostly useless. If I carry the bags off the bike, it’s easier to just pair the panniers and carry them by the handles on top of the bag. Carrying them over the shoulder with a strap quickly becomes uncomfortable because of their weight and size. One bag can be carried fairly easily but not two or four. Even then, it’s usually easier to carry the bag by the handle. I think I had the shoulder straps on my first trip but I haven’t carried them since and that was 20 years ago.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-15-22, 09:11 AM
Tourist in MSN

Here, I've been setting them up like this all along:
If the differing opinions on this thread appear confusing, this is the way the manufacturer uses that strap, several photos showing the strap used with the lower hook.
https://www.ortlieb.com/en_us/produc.../rear-panniers

You will also see a few of the City version that does not use those straps, that has buckles attached elsewhere and lacks the strap and the hook at the bottom for the strap. A friend of mine uses the City version panniers.
https://www.ortlieb.com/en_us/sport-roller-city+F6002

But if you want to use a different method, use what works for you.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: