Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So I changed over from SPD to SPD-SL

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

So I changed over from SPD to SPD-SL

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-22, 06:26 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
How about "swears by both".

SPD has the debris shedding design for when you need it, but sacrifices platform area. The SL has platform but sacrifices walk and debris shedding. So, I put the one fit for purpose on the right bikes I use them for. Cross/gravel, spd. I have to get off and run in mud that requires toe cleats. So yeah, spd there. Road? I don't get off in the mud or really walk miles to the cafe', so -SL.

You have to consider in the mixed road/walking a lot scenario how much you walk. If it's a cafe' or gas station stop on a road ride, go -SL. If you're a commuter or something, I'd go spd. The walking ratio matters. If you ride and then stop at a bunch of brewery or food stops on a little tour, spd. You walk enough it would be nice I guess.

TT bike gets Speedplays for the stack/aero advantage, but that's a super specialized race application thing for me. I'd prefer the -SL's from a "no lube or maint." standpoint over the Speedplays.
Old 03-07-22, 08:51 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ha, this reminded me that about 18mo ago I had some creaking in the shoe/pedal interface for SPD that I could not fix. It was infuriating for like 2 weeks. I removed the cleats and reattached them. I oiled the cleats. I oiled the pedal mechanism. I wd40d the pedal mechanism. I took a candle and rubbed wax over the cleat and pedal- none of that worked.
I dont think I ever did anything to fix it, now that I am thinking about the issue. It just fixed itself?...huh. Memory is a frustrating and funny thing.
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I forgot all about the intermittent squeaks. Mine came and went and drove me crazy. They had to be terrible too because I am very hard of hearing and I could hear the squeaks without my hearing aids.
Best temporary fix I’ve found is “talcum powder,” which I think may actually be corn starch in this case. Barely worth it anyway.
Old 03-07-22, 08:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I run single-sided SPD on my singles and double sided on the tandem, where I have to hit the clip first time, every time, with no time for fiddling. Stoker runs single sided. Double sided on a road bike just doesn't look right IMO. With stiff-soled shoes I don't feel the cleat. They're easy to adjust, shed debris, and wear like uh, metal. I have worn out a few pedals - the bearings don't last forever. I don't see anything to fix, though I suppose better sealed bearings would be nice. I don't care about float, though it's nice to not have to be particularly careful about cleat placement - my feet stay where I put them and don't wiggle as I pedal. I like being able to walk around grocery stores and coffee shops normally when refueling. I have had to walk home once, no issue with that.
Old 03-08-22, 12:31 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Horses for courses.

I run SPDs on the gravel bike, better for mud and hike-a-bike.

SPD-SLs with red cleats on the road, I want my feet locked in with as little float as possible.
Old 03-08-22, 12:56 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Horses for courses.

I run SPDs on the gravel bike, better for mud and hike-a-bike.

SPD-SLs with red cleats on the road, I want my feet locked in with as little float as possible.
+1. That noisy ''clack'' when clipping my SPD-SLs makes me feel more secure on my road bike for some reason.

Love the dual platform SPD pedals on my gravel bike for versatility.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 03-08-22, 04:16 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I ride both style pedal/shoe combos and find them very similar in feel. The very positive contact engagement of the SPD SL is a benefit as I know for certain when I am connected to the pedal. One thing to note about the SL cleats and walking is that the rubber grips will wear and tear over time. The only walking on mine is when I move the bike from the back door to the walkway and vice versa when finished with the ride. The rubber things are still perfectly fine after 4 years of use. On the other hand my son's wore off after his first season as he was walking in and out of is apartment and walking to his office in a building at work. He replaces his cleats every two years.
Originally Posted by Chuck M
After riding toe cages and straps since I was a teenager, I bought a modern bike a few years ago and decided I needed to go clipless on it. My SPDs were IMHO a waste of money. I had been influenced by online horror stories of how hard clipping in an out was and thought the double sided SPDs were the smart move. The guy at the LBS tried to talk me into SPD-SL or Look compatible but I believed what I read online.

Now I have a heavy pair of SPSs on a shelf in the garage and a composite pair of Look compatible pedals on my bike. I'm not saying SPD on a road bike is wrong as many prefer them, but I wish I would have listened to the guy at the LBS. By the way, this was before I joined Bike Forums so I may have got better advice on how to choose the right pedal for me here. I think what I had read came from a site that can't be typed here.
Originally Posted by eduskator
+1. That noisy ''clack'' when clipping my SPD-SLs makes me feel more secure on my road bike for some reason.
It's one of those satisfying things to sense on a bike, like a good gear change, a silent drivetrain, or tyres communicating well.
Old 03-08-22, 05:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Some really good additions and nuances in the comments. I think it is safe to say that both systems can actually work for a wide overlap of applications. It's probably at the extreme ends of usage (e.g., road race vs. city commuting/errand running) where either system starts to shine on its own. For the leisure/fitness/cafe road riders, it's more of a slight preference and priority decision. It's good to have that choice to suit our needs, there is no 'better overall' and the differences are arguably a bit smaller than a newcomer may expect based on reading up on differences for the sake of pointing out differences. As someone who rides near daily with no set destination, hills on the weekend, and the odd gran frondo, I simply should not have gone SPD based on unfounded concerns, that is all.

That said, it is clear that shoes seem very important, regardless of the system, but perhaps a little bit more with SPD given the smaller cleat. I think it's a good idea to spend as much as feasible on foot comfort and sole stiffness, it is simply too crucial of a contact point to cheap out on that interface. I had Shimano XC501s for SPD and switched to Bontrager XXX for SPD-SL, both with arch support insoles and bike fitted cleat positions. Both shoes worked great in that the pedal interface when riding was never top of mind, which is always a good sign. Things you overly notice are often in need of further tuning. The XXX is the better shoe due to the full carbon sole at double the stiffness and bi-directional BOAs which are a great upgrade that allows for easier mid-ride adjustments without popping out the BOA - better be for over twice the price. I do appreciate the new setup when working hard up hills or really putting power down, it is a matter of those slight differences falling into place to make the pedal interface ever so slightly more suitable to my riding. I could totally see myself having both systems, as some here have, if I had more bikes to cater for different riding scenarios.
Shoe comfort - for my feet, finding shoes with lasts that feel really comfortable has been a challenge. Nearly 20 years ago I chanced on some cheap shoes at Performance that felt good. Rode them 'till the wore out. Got another similar pair. Same story - happy feet. Somewhere along the line I learned that Lake made both of those pairs. I've been riding cheap Lakes since. The only issue has been the straps.. This isn't because the straps are so bad but because I started riding mountains on my custom fix gear and spent more time pulling up hard against those straps than anyone ever dreamed would happen. Eventually I ripped the straps off, installed grommets and laces. Happy feet! (In shoes I've never paid more than $100 for.)

Oh, I have several far more expensive pair of shoes. But if foot comfort is going to be important, they stay at home and the cheap Lakes go. Periodically (well not since before COVID) I go to bike shops and try on expensive shoes. So far, I keep finding that another $100 or more will be a step down in comfort because they don't fit as well. (Most shops here don't carry the best of the Lakes so I've never had a chance to try those on.)
Old 03-09-22, 09:45 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Shoe comfort - for my feet, finding shoes with lasts that feel really comfortable has been a challenge. Nearly 20 years ago I chanced on some cheap shoes at Performance that felt good. Rode them 'till the wore out. Got another similar pair. Same story - happy feet. Somewhere along the line I learned that Lake made both of those pairs. I've been riding cheap Lakes since. The only issue has been the straps.. This isn't because the straps are so bad but because I started riding mountains on my custom fix gear and spent more time pulling up hard against those straps than anyone ever dreamed would happen. Eventually I ripped the straps off, installed grommets and laces. Happy feet! (In shoes I've never paid more than $100 for.)

Oh, I have several far more expensive pair of shoes. But if foot comfort is going to be important, they stay at home and the cheap Lakes go. Periodically (well not since before COVID) I go to bike shops and try on expensive shoes. So far, I keep finding that another $100 or more will be a step down in comfort because they don't fit as well. (Most shops here don't carry the best of the Lakes so I've never had a chance to try those on.)
Expensive shoes are usually very stiff and thus less comfortable (that's what I found, at least!). Performance VS comfort, the ultimate war.

Took me a while to get used to my Shimano RC7s, and they're not even ''that'' stiff.
Old 03-09-22, 04:45 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I've been using Sidi Dominators for 20+ years. I suppose there are stiffer shoes. The Dominator, as far as I can tell, is the SIDI road shoe with lugs. They are stiff enough, supremely comfortable, and seem to never soften or wear out. Of course the same shoe last won't fit everyone, but I've found my shoes. I like the heel cup, too.
Old 03-09-22, 05:55 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
I don't agree with the 'stiffer sole equals less comfort' rule. While both of these shoes are comfortable for me, which means a tight grip on most of my foot but with enough space for the front of the foot to spread out under load, and a bit of space above and in front of the toes rather than compressing them, the stiffer shoe feels another 20% more 'free' without any trade-off.

I think a shoe fits well when you don't think about it while riding, and a shoe fits great when you sometimes realise how comfortable the pedal interface still is after a 2h+ ride.

BUT I think that's just because the shoe fit differences at the same shoe size just suit my foot more on the XXX, and I would not be surprised if finding a shoe that fits your foot shape just that little bit better goes most of the way in terms of comfort. Oh and arch support insoles are a bit of a game changer when it comes to even pressure distribution and comfort in my experience.

With a few more days on the shoes, I can't praise the bi-directional BOA adjustment enough, it's great to just dial it back and forth whilst riding without having to pop them out to retighten. And having two BOAs also beats one plus velcro strap. Those two things will be a must have for me going forward, pending any great innovations.

Old 03-10-22, 11:26 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I love my Look Keos which are very similar to SPD-SL and for riding on the road I see no real downside and combined with a comfy pair of stiff CF soled shoes it's just absolutely comfortable, be it a hour or 12+ hour long ride. The pedals and shoes are ridiculously light.

The walk ability is totally fine for coffee, restaurant, shop and photo stops, or even hitching a ride on a bus after a more serious mechanical.

If I need to do serious walking when I get there I have my gravel bike with flat pedals, or I put a lightweight pair of shoes in my backpack, like I did when I was commuting on my road bike.
​​​​