Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Need a light and fast one

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Need a light and fast one

Old 03-09-22, 12:57 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
I don't know about other companies but BF not only designs and manufactures their frames in the US but they also craft numerous other things here as well, like the unique headset adjustment tool which is made in a guy's garage a few miles from their shop and provides work for a local US guy. They cut and finished both the aftermarket titanium seat and stem masts I ordered up in Eugene; I don't know where the titanium came from but all the work was done locally. With rare exception, all bikes use non-US components (although you CAN spec out Paul Components on a BF if you can afford them!).
Its the same in Europe, unless you use a Campagnolo groupset or Rohloff speedhub, those components must come from Asia, there are no other local manufacturing (local manufactured wheels, tires, bike lights can be found).

Many people complain about the price of the Brompton (which isn't that high actually) but forget that the frame is fully Made in UK by UK guys providing work to UK people not Chinese people.
Old 03-09-22, 04:16 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
Hope makes groupset and brakes but it mostly for MTB and gravel.
Rondo makes frames in Poland.
Planet X Ti frames come from Poland too.
Moulton makes most thing in Bradford upton Avon (tiny place near Bath)
Old 03-09-22, 10:43 AM
Jipe

There are many frame manufacturers in Europe on top of those of your list with steel, titanium, aluminum and carbon frames.

But if you need a derailleur made in Europe, the choice is I think only Campagnolo, same for the chain and the shifters (Campagnolo has complete groupset with also brakes, but there is more choice for brake levers and calipers).

There is a lot of choice of complete wheels and wheel parts excepted for the aluminum rims (I do not think that its possible to buy separate aluminum rims made in EU).

There are tires made in EU, example : high end Continental tires.

There is also a choice of stems, handlebars, seatposts, saddles Made in EU.

There are several EU cassette brands but I do not know where the cassettes are actually made.

So, its possible to build a complete bike with all components made in EU but it will be a expensive bike (example : a complete Passoni bike with Campagnolo groupset and Campagnolo wheels equipped with Continental Grand Prix tires).

Moulton is not so far, I think that only the aluminum rims are not made in EU (for a Moulton with a Campagnolo groupset).
Old 03-09-22, 02:13 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by DLBroox
I’m really sorry I opened this can of worms. I think it’s great that Bike Friday designs and builds their own stuff. But in the end I couldn’t rationalize paying two thousand dollars for a bike. I’m a high school teacher trying to survive on a daily basis in a really f’d up situation thanks to the pandemic and this Lotus is affordable and will bring me joy. It also helps some guy scratching out his own living here in the states. So whether he’s designing or just building them I really don’t care.

So carry on with your autopsy of my comment about supporting a small business. I’m leaving the party. Turn the lights out and lock the door when you leave. See ya.
For me, the frustration is more that bike manufacturing has moved out of the US pretty much and so there is little competition so prices are high. I'd love to see some US based moderate priced bikes made here or moderate priced components (Paul Comp. are wonderful but cost a small fortune). We definitely need bikes at all prices. I would not have spent the $$$ on BF when I was working and younger - too many other financial needs. Imo opinion the steel Swift is a GREAT bike for the $.. I almost bought one (but wanted a. lower step over). I hope they can bring them back; I suspect they will be huge sellers!
Likes For linberl:
Old 03-09-22, 07:14 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by DLBroox
I’m really sorry I opened this can of worms. I think it’s great that Bike Friday designs and builds their own stuff. But in the end I couldn’t rationalize paying two thousand dollars for a bike. I’m a high school teacher trying to survive on a daily basis in a really f’d up situation thanks to the pandemic and this Lotus is affordable and will bring me joy. It also helps some guy scratching out his own living here in the states. So whether he’s designing or just building them I really don’t care.

So carry on with your autopsy of my comment about supporting a small business. I’m leaving the party. Turn the lights out and lock the door when you leave. See ya.
You started a good thread that got derailled. If people want to make a point about the country of origin of a bike. They can open a new thread. BTW there are custom made bike manufacturers around. Great if you can afford them. Low price points require a different business model.
Old 03-10-22, 06:10 AM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
And for the other Origami than the Lotus, also assembled in the US ?

About the design of the frames of your several bikes, who did it, Origami or the Chinese manufacturer ?

Bike Friday doesn't only manufacture the frame and assemble the bikes, they also design all their bikes themselves. They do not buy frames designed by others.

This is a major difference, anybody is able to assemble bikes but not able to design bikes.
bike ridays cost 3-8 times what the orgami costs, not everyone has dollars to burn, orgami fits a nice market and pingis is doing that section of the market a good deed . if bike friday sold a bike for 500 bucks maybe folks like us would give them a look.
Likes For jdogg111:
Old 03-10-22, 04:23 PM
Jipe

Originally Posted by jdogg111
bike ridays cost 3-8 times what the orgami costs, not everyone has dollars to burn, orgami fits a nice market and pingis is doing that section of the market a good deed . if bike friday sold a bike for 500 bucks maybe folks like us would give them a look.
Do you really think it possible to build a bike in the US for 500 bucks ?
Old 03-10-22, 04:41 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
My 1st BF was used and I paid $500, lol. If you are patient you can find what you want.
Old 03-10-22, 05:16 PM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Do you really think it possible to build a bike in the US for 500 bucks ?
Of course its possible, you can more than likely build a nice bike for half that, depending on how much material you bulk source. I'd wager the majority of bike Friday's pricing is labor.
Likes For jdogg111:
Old 03-11-22, 03:36 AM
Jipe

Of course its possible, you can more than likely build a nice bike for half that, depending on how much material you bulk source. I'd wager the majority of bike Friday's pricing is labor.
By building, I do not mean assembling from parts manufactured in Asia on a frame developed and built in Asia, I mean developing the bike in the US, building the frame and several components in the US and then assembling the bike in the US.
Old 03-11-22, 05:58 AM
Jipe

Originally Posted by Gellehaiak
Have a look at zizzo.bike
Are these bike designed, developed and is at least their frame built in the US (on top of assembled in the US) like Bike Fridays bikes?
Old 03-14-22, 07:33 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Where is this thread going with all this?
Likes For pinholecam:
Old 03-14-22, 07:44 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Derailled by a troll?
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 03-15-22, 07:21 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Are these bike designed, developed and is at least their frame built in the US (on top of assembled in the US) like Bike Fridays bikes?
No, they are made in China. You should probably just start a new thread dedicated to bikes designed, developed, and built in the US since that was not the subject of this thread.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 04-21-22, 04:51 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Great,...another forum member chased away by trolling.
Old 08-07-22, 07:22 AM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 538 Times in 332 Posts
Wow...

I just came across this thread...wow...just wow. This J!pe guy really showed his colors, a real piece of work.

On a wholly separate issue and for information and clarification only, you may wish to know that due to the great success of the FnHon Gust introduced here in SEAsia around 2017, there have been many other makers and bike brands looking to capitalize on the Gust craze by offering Gust look-a-likes. Upon closer inspection and comparison with the actual FnHon Gust, these bikes have a slightly different geometry (more horizontal top tube, the fork looks completely different, the welds are far from neat, for example) and more importantly their build quality and finish lags significantly behind a true Gust. Also, Gust do not come as complete bikes. Genuine FnHon Gust are available as framesets only. I should know for I've owned two of them.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 08-07-22 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-07-22, 09:48 AM
jfouellette

Thank you for the info. caveat emptor (buyer beware). Buy the original.
Old 08-07-22, 09:55 AM
jfouellette

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
I just came across this thread...wow...just wow. This J!pe guy really showed his colors, a real piece of work.

He probably buys a lot from Walmart to save money…
Old 08-07-22, 11:40 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts

On a wholly separate issue and for information and clarification only, you may wish to know that due to the great success of the FnHon Gust introduced here in SEAsia around 2017, there have been many other makers and bike brands looking to capitalize on the Gust craze by offering Gust look-a-likes. Upon closer inspection and comparison with the actual FnHon Gust, these bikes have a slightly different geometry (more horizontal top tube, the fork looks completely different, the welds are far from neat, for example) and more importantly their build quality and finish lags significantly behind a true Gust. Also, Gust do not come as complete bikes. Genuine FnHon Gust are available as framesets only. I should know for I've owned two of them.
Origami Lotus looks alot like a FnHon and it is attractively priced, complete with hydraulic discs, too.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 08-07-22, 11:08 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 538 Times in 332 Posts
Element Troy

Perhaps the best known and most popular of the Gust imitation bikes here is the Element Troy. At top spec it comes with chromoly frame, 10 speeds, hollowtech crank and Tektro hydraulic brakes and sells for about $320.

Element Troy X10

Last edited by Ron Damon; 08-08-22 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-08-22, 12:48 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts

That is a broad generalization that does not apply to all bikes. The Origami Lotus does (intentionally) have a different geometry, but we have beautiful welds and excellent build quality.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 08-08-22, 03:30 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Pinigis
That is a broad generalization that does not apply to all bikes. The Origami Lotus does (intentionally) have a different geometry, but we have beautiful welds and excellent build quality.
The Lotus is also has a CroMoly Steel frame..the element troy is high tensile steel. That means the Lotus has a stronger, though slightly heavier frame.
Old 08-08-22, 03:56 PM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
The Lotus is also has a CroMoly Steel frame..the element troy is high tensile steel. That means the Lotus has a stronger, though slightly heavier frame.
Usually cromoly frames use the increased strength to use thinner-walled tubes though, so you can't say for certain that it is heavier.
Old 08-08-22, 04:06 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by willydstyle
Usually cromoly frames use the increased strength to use thinner-walled tubes though, so you can't say for certain that it is heavier.
Usually cromoly is heavier, even if thinner tubing is used, and definitely stronger. I'll gladly deal with a slightly heavier frame for better strength. Origami did some nice work on the Lotus for the heavier North American market.
Old 08-08-22, 04:30 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
All steel weighs the same per unit of volume. The point of going with higher tensile steel is to reduce the weight of the frame by using less steel to achieve the same strength.
Likes For Schwinnsta:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.