Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Locks/Bike Theft

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Locks/Bike Theft

Old 03-28-22, 11:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
How about a find-my-phone type feature built into the bike?
Old 03-28-22, 11:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
So instead of doing your own hard legwork by working with local cycling organizations, visiting associate experts at LBS, and the purchasing as many popular locks possible to inspect how they are built, instead you take the easy way out, cheating with minimal work possible on your smartphone, getting BF members to do the work for you, all just to get an easy school grade? And not amount to anything real?

Y'know posting this at a bunch of kids just makes you look very, very lame and bitter, right?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-28-22, 02:05 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
I still come back to my default position. If the lock is so successful at keeping the bike from being stolen than the thief might conclude: "If I can't have this bike, neither can the owner"...
Some years back some enterprising bike thieves in Houston were stringing high test fishing line across the bike path at chest/neck height.

Are you still a cyclist if you just sit at home watching GCN on YouTube?
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-29-22, 08:57 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
How about a find-my-phone type feature built into the bike?
There are a number of videos from Shane about using AirTags to track a bike if stolen

Old 03-29-22, 09:15 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Some years back some enterprising bike thieves in Houston were stringing high test fishing line across the bike path at chest/neck height.

Are you still a cyclist if you just sit at home watching GCN on YouTube?
Actually, almost got garrotted the other day. A repair truck was in the road so we used a driveway to mount the sidewalk. CRAP! Either a tv cable or phone line was at neck height across the walk. Luckily my friend spotted it and ducked and shouted. That is not the first time that has happened. In another incident years ago, there's a closed road bridge that is now a walking cycling path over a deep ravine, actually, Ravenna Park. Occasionally climbers tie ropes to the rails and repel down and prusik up. Two imbeciles decided to string the rope across the roadway for their climbing anchor. It was like "what the f!!!"

But back to the subject at hand. I really don't know how much protection to prevent bike theft. Fortunately, when I bike commuted, I was able to carry my bike to my office. I will leave it when hitting a coffee shop or quickie restaurant. I recently added a cafe lock that pins the rear wheel. But the bike can be lifted and tossed. And if someone does not notice, or I forget spokes can be damaged.
Old 03-31-22, 09:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
How to and how not to.

BTW...I took this this morning in the covered parking are of my office building's garage.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-31-22 at 11:20 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-31-22, 12:31 PM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
How to and how not to.

BTW...I took this this morning in the covered parking are of my office building's garage.

And here we have an example that your bike security needn't be perfect, it just needs to be better than the other guys.

Last edited by gpburdell; 03-31-22 at 12:32 PM. Reason: repeated myself
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 03-31-22, 12:46 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by gpburdell
And here we have an example that your bike security needn't be perfect, it just needs to be better than the other guys.
Yep. Several years ago I was locking up my Surly outside a popular pubic market. Used my Kryptonite and thick cable. Right next to me a woman was locking up her mid-level Trek road bike with a flimsy chain and padlock. She went into the market. Before I went into the market I walked to a store less than a block away to get a paper. As I was walking back to the market entrance maybe 5 minutes later I saw a tweaker-looking guy speeding the wrong way up the street on the woman's bike, small gym bag over his shoulder. That was probably what he carried his cutter in. My bike was fine. Found the woman inside the market and told her what had happened. She said she had not felt like carrying her good lock.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-31-22, 12:52 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Yep. Several years ago I was locking up my Surly outside a popular pubic market. Used my Kryptonite and thick cable. Right next to me a woman was locking up her mid-level Trek road bike with a flimsy chain and padlock. She went into the market. Before I went into the market I walked to a store less than a block away to get a paper. As I was walking back to the market entrance maybe 5 minutes later I saw a tweaker-looking guy speeding the wrong way up the street on the woman's bike, small gym bag over his shoulder. That was probably what he carried his cutter in. My bike was fine. Found the woman inside the market and told her what had happened. She said she had not felt like carrying her good lock.
SMH ... if I plan to stop for anything, I have a lock (once or twice walked into a store with the bike).

I got this set up for my road bikes when I'm going out for longer ride and know I'll stop for a convivence store.

https://tigrlock.com/products/sks-bo...e-adapter-copy
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 04-09-22, 08:05 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
SMH ... if I plan to stop for anything, I have a lock (once or twice walked into a store with the bike).

I got this set up for my road bikes when I'm going out for longer ride and know I'll stop for a convivence store.

https://tigrlock.com/products/sks-bo...e-adapter-copy
How long does it take the "lock picking lawyer" to get through that one? I've been looking at that lock.
Old 04-10-22, 12:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
I never leave it unattended. Instead I take it inside stores, optician, the bank or cafes with me and ask if it’s cool that I either park it in my sight or if I can just carry it on my shoulder. If they say NO, I thank them anyway and go elsewhere. Have only been told no once in the last few years otherwise people seem happy to accommodate.

Old 04-10-22, 03:36 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Originally Posted by gpburdell
You don't have to outrun the bear. You only have to outrun your buddy.

Likes For tcs:
Old 04-10-22, 04:15 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by rsbob
I never leave it unattended. Instead I take it inside stores, optician, the bank or cafes with me and ask if it’s cool that I either park it in my sight or if I can just carry it on my shoulder. If they say NO, I thank them anyway and go elsewhere. Have only been told no once in the last few years otherwise people seem happy to accommodate.
Not an option for those of us who camp while touring.
Old 04-11-22, 06:50 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by kahn
How long does it take the "lock picking lawyer" to get through that one? I've been looking at that lock.
He's fairly positive on it:

I have a buddy who's hobby is recovering stolen bike, he's recovered well over 100 stolen bikes and has been awarded by local police for his efforts. His efforts include cutting locks on stashed stolen bikes. And the TiGr lock is his choice for his bikes ... and that's why I use this lock on my nicest bikes.

Edit/Afterthought: Lock Picking Lawyer says it at the end of the video "this is a lock for a café stop" and that's how I'm using it ... quick lock up when I'll be close and/or low risk environments. I have a heavy Abus U-lock plus cable for longer stops, and I ride lower value bikes if I need to leave the bike out for time (baseball game, concert, etc).

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 04-11-22 at 06:59 AM.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 04-11-22, 06:55 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
How about a bike lock that explodes when a cutting tool is used on it ??? : )
Old 04-11-22, 08:41 AM
indyfabz

Where is this Angle Grinder Army so many are afraid of stationed?

Heading out on tour for a few days starting Thursday. I'll bring my relatively light combination cable lock. Because I will be camping my bike will be out of my sight for three nights. Also, I will not be able to see it when I use the bathroom and the shower. Am I crazy?
Old 04-11-22, 10:59 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts

Heading out on tour for a few days starting Thursday. I'll bring my relatively light combination cable lock. Because I will be camping my bike will be out of my sight for three nights. Also, I will not be able to see it when I use the bathroom and the shower. Am I crazy?
I wouldn't worry. Angle Grinder Terminators roam only big cities I guess.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 04-11-22, 11:40 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Reynolds
I wouldn't worry. Angle Grinder Terminators roam only big cities I guess.
I live and ride in the 6th most populous city in the U.S.
Old 04-11-22, 11:54 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
How about a bike lock that explodes when a cutting tool is used on it ??? : )
Best I got for you is an exploding device when the bike is moved:

https://www.dudeiwantthat.com/autos/...heft-alarm.asp

Old 04-11-22, 12:16 PM
tcs
Palmer

Mostly on the internet, but a few in the real world significant enough to take notice of.

The following pictures are from Amazon reviews:
The mighty Abus Granit X-Plus: one super-hard steel 13mm leg cut with angle grinder, then the lock lever-twisted enough to slip the bike frame out.

The relatively low-cost OnGuard Brute. One 17mm leg was sliced with a battery-powered angle grinder, but apparently, the battery pooped out before the second leg was cut through.

Last edited by tcs; 04-12-22 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-11-22, 12:29 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by tcs
Mostly on the internet, but a few in the real world significant enough to take notice of.

https://youtu.be/kcHOVSsfXQ0
One reason why I don't like to lock up out of general public sight. When my office was in the building across the street from where i am now, a building security guy suggested that I use the racks in the underground garage. No thanks. Much less foot traffic. And no cops patrol there.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-11-22, 01:07 PM
toto34

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aggieian
Hello all! I am a engineer currently working with a team of students to develop a new bike lock/anti theft bike. I was wondering what experiences you guys have had with bike theft/locks for some research. Thanks!
How about something like a fire alarm. It makes a loud noise when it get cut
Old 04-11-22, 03:41 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
I live and ride in the 6th most populous city in the U.S.
My bad, I assumed you'd go touring in the country.
Old 04-11-22, 04:16 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Reynolds
My bad, I assumed you'd go touring in the country.
I do, but I also ride for local transportation and have for decades. Just went over 15,000 miles on my current car. It will turn 6 years old at the beginning of July. The previous car I drove had 108K miles on it after a little over 18 years. That was put on between 3 people.
Old 04-11-22, 04:32 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
Sorry to be such a jerk, but the video posted by Hypno Toad is not the Lock Picking Lawyer. LPL started his review by pointing out that Ti is relatively easy to cut, but because the lock is $100, he only bought the locking cylinder.

So no video of him cutting it. He then proceeded to pick the look in about a minute. I would not say he gave it a positive review for any use beyond a coffee stop lock, but for that it is okay.

I must also point out that he opened the lock I have in just a little bit more than two minutes. While nobody could cut my chain with a hack saw, my lock and chain combo is a pain to carry.

Like LPL pointed out, light, cheap, secure: you can only have two of them. Mine is fairly secure, so I only got one of the three. Sounds like the TiGR also only got one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.