Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 530 in sunlight

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 05-11-22, 12:33 PM
skallal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay I got a new 530 as a replacement for my aging 510. I really do like it except that it's nearly impossible to read in direct sunlight. If the sun is behind me, I can read it just fine. But if the sun is in front of me, it's nearly impossible for me to read. My 510 didn't have it problem.

It seems to be better if the device is mounted horizontally. But I ride a recumbent trike with the device mounted almost vertical, much like a dashboard in a car. Again the 510 works mounted like this.

So do I have a bad device? Bought it from Amazon and would prefer a different model such as a an 830 or even a Wahoo Elemnt.
Old 05-11-22, 01:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Might be that you need to adjust the physical angle that the device is to your eye when the sun is at certain angles. There are also brightness and contrast controls that you probably have already played with, but they'll make some difference too if you haven't played with them.

I've not had any issue with such on my Edge 530. But I don't look at mine to much while riding anymore. It's mostly there just to record my ride.

If you just bought it, you should explore your return options now if you have any doubts as to whether you are going to like it.

Oh... certain types of glasses, particularly polarized glasses might make it harder to see in various lighting. I use some high dollar polarized glasses when driving and some displays on the fuel pumps are extremely hard to read with them on. But for cycling, I have on my cheap sunglasses.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-11-22 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-13-22, 05:15 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by skallal
It seems to be better if the device is mounted horizontally. But I ride a recumbent trike with the device mounted almost vertical, much like a dashboard in a car. Again the 510 works mounted like this.
The screens are different.

The screen on the 830 is the same. The Wahoo screen might work better for you.

Some of it might be getting used to it. I've used different models and don't really have a problem with the screens.

You want it positioned so that sunlight hits the screen as much and often as possible.

The "proper" (best) way to mount it is horizontal. Making it less vertical than you have it might improve things.

Maybe, there's a way of mounting it lower and more horizontally.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-13-22 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-13-22, 03:20 PM
skallal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The screens are different.

The screen on the 830 is the same. The Wahoo screen might work better for you.

Some of it might be getting used to it. I've used different models and don't really have a problem with the screens.

You want it positioned so that sunlight hits the screen as much and often as possible.

The "proper" (best) way to mount it is horizontal. Making it less vertical than you have it might improve things.

Maybe, there's a way of mounting it lower and more horizontally.
Thanks for the reply!

You the 830 screen is the same. The 530 screen is NOT a touch screen while the 830 is .Are you speaking from experience?

I ride a recumbent trike with a seat angle of about 45 degrees reclined, which actually isn't that much. I've been using the old 510 which a little tilt to view it w/o sitting up in the seat.

Since my last post, I've been playing around with different mounts to get it more horizontal. Even so it's hard to read if I'm the sun is in front of me. It requires a lot of backlight to be visible. It's not easy change the brightness on the fly with the 530. It was much easier on the 510.

Again I'd like to hear from people who've used both the 530 and the 830. I have friends who use the 800 at a vertical angle, but that's a legacy model.
Old 05-13-22, 04:10 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
You the 830 screen is the same. The 530 screen is NOT a touch screen while the 830 is .Are you speaking from experience?
They don't look different. The fact of the touch screen shouldn't matter.

It's not easy change the brightness on the fly with the 530. It was much easier on the 510.
The 530 is really an 830 without a touchscreen. The 510 doesn't have much relevance to how the 530 works.

I have friends who use the 800 at a vertical angle, but that's a legacy model.
The 800 doesn't have any relevance to how any of the current models work/look-like.
Old 05-13-22, 09:17 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Are you wearing polarized sunglasses? If so, what happens when you take them off?