Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Charlotte NC area riders

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Charlotte NC area riders

Old 12-26-06, 08:58 PM
PAlt
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hidin' in Chi-town 'til New Years Eve. No bike & chilly here. Back to riding to start the New Year right
Old 12-26-06, 09:15 PM
VegaVixen

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleMagic
Can I come visit the Charlotte Thread? Seems there isn't much going on in Hick-town!
Hm. Hicktown. Could be just about anywhere around here! I'm a lifelong resident of the area. I should know!

Ever ride TT?
Old 12-27-06, 08:07 AM
thomspins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleMagic
Can I come visit the Charlotte Thread? Seems there isn't much going on in Hick-town!
lol where is Hick-town?
Old 12-27-06, 03:16 PM
CycleMagic
Crazy Like a Daisy

Bikes: Giant OCR-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hick-town=Hickory. plenty of cyclists, but not too many BF'rs (if any!)

....and why am I in this handbasket?
Old 12-27-06, 04:29 PM
VegaVixen

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I used to go through Hickory on my way to Brown Mt. Beach. You've got some nice hilly terrain up that way. So far, my rides are fairly flat, with the exception of some wicked little hills on the University campus, and in my neighborhood.
Old 12-27-06, 04:33 PM
VegaVixen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think some weekend, we BF'ers in the greater Charlotte area should get together, just for a fun ride. I mean, leave the serious riding for another time, just so no one gets dropped. It's just about meeting each other, doing a little riding, maybe stopping for coffee (and pie) somewhere. Maybe if we all hit it off, we could have a standing fun ride once a month. A little rolling Foo Party, if you will.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-27-06, 09:58 PM
recneps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if your northside, the huntersville business park rides get big tue and thur with up to 40 riders. the booty loop always has people on it.

the bolt brothers ride as far as i know end in the last 15 miles being fast (25 avg). isnt there some big group ride in davidson on saturday mornings?
Old 12-27-06, 10:53 PM
VegaVixen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by recneps
if your northside, the huntersville business park rides get big tue and thur with up to 40 riders. the booty loop always has people on it.

the bolt brothers ride as far as i know end in the last 15 miles being fast (25 avg). isnt there some big group ride in davidson on saturday mornings?
But do they drop?

I know that a Foo-formed group would never drop. Good info, recneps, but let's get an all-inclusive BF ride, ok?
Old 12-28-06, 07:49 AM
thomspins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm game.
I do enough hard training and racing; it's nice have "fun" riding every once in awhile.

Yeah I've done the Bolt Bros. ride; that's good weekend dist. training for racers in season/no no drop on this one.

Where would be somewhere good to ride where the traffic would be low enough where we wouldn't have to worry too much about getting ran over constantly; and could goof off a bit?
Old 12-28-06, 12:54 PM
recneps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like riding up near the airport, end of west blvd area. nice country roads and soem descent hills for Charlotte, and very little traffic.

its kind of ****ty riding out there though, seeing how you have to ride out through remount and all that.

I've got nothing to do right now and im free to ride anytime with school being out.
Old 12-28-06, 01:12 PM
VegaVixen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We'll have to think about where to ride. And how far. I agree, it shouldn't have a lot of traffic so that we can socialize a bit. recneps is recommending airport area. I'm thinking possibly Old Statesville Road? Any other suggestions? CycleMagic, you can join us, you know. What's your area like for riding? I mean, besides hilly.
Old 12-28-06, 02:06 PM
thomspins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it might be a little bit of a drive for a few of y'all but all throughout south of Fort Mill in york county down in SC are some wonderful riding areas!!

I've been on some longer 3hr~ish rides out there before and only have had like 5-10 cars pass by.
Old 12-28-06, 02:10 PM
flyingscotsman
Nothing here to see!!!!!!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thomspins
it might be a little bit of a drive for a few of y'all but all throughout south of Fort Mill in york county down in SC are some wonderful riding areas!!

I've been on some longer 3hr~ish rides out there before and only have had like 5-10 cars pass by.
Moving in June/July to about 100 yards from SC border, care to share the routes that you take down there.
Old 12-28-06, 02:44 PM
VegaVixen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thomspins

That sounds promising. I can hop on I-485 without much problem.

I'm pretty sure there must be some nice quiet roads up in my area, and going out towards Cabarrus County. I just haven't had time to explore them yet, having only started riding again in November. I pretty much stay on #49, which would not be good for a group goofing around.

Anyone else have some suggestions? Hopefully, we'd have several routes, and could take turns on them 'til we find the sweet one that suits everyone for a standing Foo ride.
Old 12-29-06, 01:36 PM
Midnight Cyril

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have any suggestions for where, but I'm down for a BF ride if it's a time when I'm in town. Maybe next weekend?
Old 12-29-06, 02:49 PM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gaston county has a lot of good terrain. We have a Gaston County bicycle map with 5 major routes designed with low traffic in mind. I've done route 2 from Mt Holly to Cherryville a few times (there and back 60 miles). It has some hills but traffic is real low. If any of you go through Gaston County stop by the Welcome Center in Belmont and pick a map up. Then look for me riding a blue Cannondale all over the place.

If you live near Shelby, a great group of guys and gals host a lot of rides on Saturday mornings and other times as well. Stop in Bohemian Cycles on Lafayette St downtown Shelby for more info. Scott (owner) will gladly welcome you in and tell you all about it. Right now there are 3 groups riding at different times. Group A (17-18 mph avg) does 50 -60 miles every Saturday with coffee. Group B (16-17 mph) does 40+ miles and coffee outside Boiling Springs, NC. Then there's strickly a Gals only ride on Saturday. Where they talk about men and Oprah or something .
Old 01-04-07, 07:25 PM
CycleMagic
Crazy Like a Daisy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegaVixen
I used to go through Hickory on my way to Brown Mt. Beach. You've got some nice hilly terrain up that way. So far, my rides are fairly flat, with the exception of some wicked little hills on the University campus, and in my neighborhood.
sorry, I am late in checking this thread....YES! we DO have some hilly rides! If any flatlanders want to come up here, we can get some hilly miles in together.

Old 01-04-07, 07:30 PM
CycleMagic
Crazy Like a Daisy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegaVixen
CycleMagic, you can join us, you know. What's your area like for riding? I mean, besides hilly.
Thanks for the invite!

Catawba/Alexander/Caldwell county riding has rolling hills, some steep climbs and most of our routes are out in the country side. Depending on the day/time, very little traffic. Depending on what y'all want to ride, I know a few routes that would be fun to do as a group.

There are also a few charity rides out here: Brett's Ride, Murray's Mill, Old Soldier's Reunion, Resolution Ride (this was the first year), that are all pretty much country/small town and rolling hills. All of these routes are marked and the distances are generally 15, 30, 60 miles.

Old 01-04-07, 11:38 PM
thomspins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A good ~40 mile loop I do (all country, low traffic, a few good climbs) is as follows:

The start is about~15minutes west of Rock Hill, SC

Start at Hightower Hall on Brattonsville Rd.
South on Brattonsville
Continue on Darby
Turn right on Aaron Burr
Turn left on Old York Hwy.
Turn right on Hardin Strait
Cross over US 321
Continue on Connor
Turn right on Armenia
Turn left on Quinn
Bear left on Pathway
Turn right on Suzy Bole
Turn right on SR 97
Turn right on SR 322
Turn left on US 321 *store stop if needed is here
Turn right on SR 322
Turn right back onto Brattonsville Rd
Old 01-05-07, 12:06 AM
VegaVixen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Let's try to get something coordinated before end of January. I'm a bit swamped with other issues, but will keep checking back. CycleMagic, can you keep your finger on this pulse?
Old 01-05-07, 06:21 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm totally up for something. It would be wonderful to meet local BF'ers and do a good, long ride.

On the 14th I'm doing the Polar Bear ride in Gastonia. If you are intersested here's the link:
https://www.gastoncountycyclists.com/..._flyer2007.htm

Message me and we'll meet up.
Old 01-07-07, 02:19 AM
CycleMagic
Crazy Like a Daisy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Polar Bear ride could be fun; how mean of them not to have potties though! ha ha

Old 01-09-07, 09:39 AM
thomspins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone going up to Durham on Sunday for the Cross race?
Old 01-09-07, 01:48 PM
substructure
RustyTainte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There may be a few of us doing the Polar Bear ride in Gastonia on Sun. 14th.

Any others interested PM me. I'd like to at least meet before the ride even if we don't all ride together. I plan on holding on the lead group's wheels like a desperate fool.
Old 01-09-07, 02:28 PM
CycleMagic
Crazy Like a Daisy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am planning on going to the Polar Bear Ride as well....weather permitting. Looks like Substructure will be hanging with the big boy crowd, I'll be chillin' in the back-or middle-ish.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.