Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is your bike stable at high speed?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 10:57 PM
Dogsled

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had an older Trek aluminun bike that was stable as ever at high speed. My Carbon S-Works Roubaix is not. On decents, all can be doing ok and then all of a sudden it feels like I am getting a front flat and I have to slow down. I have experienced 1 episode of hspd wobble that was pretty spooky. I met a guy with a Roubaix and he said his bike does it all the time. Anyone have the same problem? Could the compact frame design be more prone to this? For those who have light weight bikes with bladed spoke wheels, is your bike rock solid at high speed and what bike is it? Thanks
Old 03-31-07, 11:11 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Not due to compact frame design.

Instead, don't put so much of your weight far forward. Shifting weight aft tends to alleviate some of the front-end wobble, which admittedly can be scary. Don't lock your arms; keep em loose.

I've experienced it once or twice, but never on a regular basis. However, my old Bianchi Veloce was pretty chattery at high speeds. Cables clanging around on the frame, water bottle cages oscillating, headset shaking. Pretty annoying.
Old 03-31-07, 11:15 PM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2006 Cervelo R3 (lightweight carbon bike) with Rolf Prima Elan Aero (mildly bladed spoke wheels, 24 mm rim depth), rock solid at speed unless I hit big crosswinds, which will make me have trouble holding a line on any bike since I'm so light. Hit 56 MPH. Also stable at speed with Easton Circuit (round spokes, 31 mm rim depth, comparable downhill coasting speed), generally used as my rain wheelset. Hit 48 MPH on a damp road.

2004 Specialized Roubaix Comp (not nearly as light carbon bike) with Mavic Equipe (round spokes), routinely got minor but non-frightening speed wobbles above 40 MPH. Hit 50 MPH on that bike.

2005 Specialized Allez Sport (by far the heaviest) with Alex wheelset of some sort (round spokes), rock solid at speed as long as the road surface is good. Not as compliant, so not as confident on rougher roads. No cyclocomputer, but I've probably exceeded 45 MPH on that bike.
Old 03-31-07, 11:20 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
All are stable. All different types. Too many to name.

Likely you're holding on with a death grip. Relax. Try to be supple.
Old 03-31-07, 11:21 PM
scottmorrison99
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike is fine, but I am Unsafe at any speed!

Weird Bike Guy Blog
Old 03-31-07, 11:33 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty fast.
Old 03-31-07, 11:49 PM
CerveloNW

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Kestrel Talon SL, Specalized Roubaix Comp, Cannondale Early 1990s Mtn.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cervelo Soloist Carbon (compact geometry) with Rolf Prima Vigor wheelset; went + 42 mph downhill today and it was as stable and as smooth as could be. I did not feel unsafe at all.

I also have a Specialized Roubaix Comp, and agree that it doesn't feel quite as stable at high speeds, but a lot depends on the wheelset and rider position.
Old 03-31-07, 11:50 PM
Lecterman
The Guadfather

Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're great
Old 03-31-07, 11:52 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CerveloNW
Cervelo Soloist Carbon (compact geometry) with Rolf Prima Vigor wheelset; went + 42 mph downhill today and it was as stable and as smooth as could be. I did not feel unsafe at all.
42mph is not fast. This is fast: https://www.wired.com/culture/lifesty...ikerecord_0330
Old 03-31-07, 11:57 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Pfft 81mph is not fast. This is fast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNwmp...elated&search=
Old 04-01-07, 12:23 AM
WishYouWasMe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noooooo way

I have a Tanzer Rhino I bought from Toys R US a few years ago(I cant find the bike specs online)

but anyway...everytime I go down a hill it wobbles and shakes ESP if its a dirt rd....

Oddly enough I noticed my mountain bike which was not intended for off road didnt move AT ALL when I tried to ride it over the the subdivision construction sites.
Old 04-01-07, 12:43 AM
nobrainer440
I play in the street.

Bikes: 2005 Allez Triple, 1971 Schwinn Varsity Fixed Gear Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've hit 45mph on my allez before. Solid as a rock.
Old 04-01-07, 01:31 AM
rruff

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dogsled
Could the compact frame design be more prone to this? For those who have light weight bikes with bladed spoke wheels, is your bike rock solid at high speed and what bike is it? Thanks
It has nothing to do with the compact frame. I ride a flexy (compact) Ti frame down a hill at 50mph every day (I live at the top of an 8% grade), and have never experienced it. I have light wheels with bladed spokes, too... but they aren't *fat* bladed spokes.

A speed wobble is caused by the system hitting a resonant frequency. It is tricky to diagnose this, but some things you might want to look at are your headset adjustment, wheel bearing adjustment, wheel trueness, and how you grip the bars... if your body is tense, I think this is more likely to occur. A flexy seatpost might be a contributing factor. Actually, if that is it then the compact frame *is* a contributing factor, but you could fix it by getting a stiffer post.
Old 04-01-07, 05:48 AM
bccycleguy

Bikes: Trek 7300FX, Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Lemond Sarthe (steel frame with Bontrager race Lites) is more stable the faster it goes, at least up to 74 km/hr, which is the fastest I ridden on it.
Old 04-01-07, 07:09 AM
brundle_fly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike is very stable,but the rider is a bit mentally unstable
Old 04-01-07, 07:26 AM
Will G

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 35 Posts
I've heard, but haven't had the opportunity to try it, that bringing your knees in to the top tube will solve or reduce a high speed wobble.
Old 04-01-07, 07:28 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by the beef
Not due to compact frame design.

Instead, don't put so much of your weight far forward. Shifting weight aft tends to alleviate some of the front-end wobble, which admittedly can be scary. Don't lock your arms; keep em loose.
May be due to your compact frame, depending on sizing. Can you grip the top tube securely between your knees? If so, do it. If not, problem.

Put more of your weight forward. In particular, weight the pedals and unweight your butt. Pedals horizontal. Hold the bars firmly, but not death grip and try to relax your arms. Grip that top tube (the most important thing) if you can.

Trek 5200 with Rolfs - bladed of course. No wobble. 55 has been max.
Old 04-01-07, 07:34 AM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I don't recall ever owning a bike that was "unstable" at high speeds - relax, ease up the grip on the bars, look far ahead for any road obstructions, and keep a neutral weight balance.....if you're cornering at speed, put weight on your outside foot and shift your weight forward a bit to get maximum grip on the front tire.

Either that or something may not be adjusted right on your bike, or it's out of alignment.

Last edited by GuitarWizard; 04-01-07 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-01-07, 07:45 AM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope, I've had it up to 50mph with no wobble.
Old 04-01-07, 07:55 AM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Will G
I've heard, but haven't had the opportunity to try it, that bringing your knees in to the top tube will solve or reduce a high speed wobble.
Yes, doing that will change the resonance frequency of your frame and dampen the existing vibrations, so if you're hitting road imperfections at your frame's resonance frequency, briefly bringing your knees to the top tube can help. A brief touch of the knees always did the trick for me whenever slight speed wobbles affected my Roubaix.
Old 04-01-07, 08:01 AM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
according to an article by framebuilder craig calfee a common cause of high speed instability (shimmy/speed wobble) is fork alignment. specifically it is the symmetrical position of the fork dropouts in relation to the steering axis. he found that forks more than 1.8mm out of alignment caused instability at speeds over 30 mph.
the problem is many manufacturers don't check this after the forks come out of the molds (cf forks). traditionally steel forks can be cold set after welding/brazing and master framebuilders can get forks to within .5 mm of alignment. carbon fiber forks cannot be cold set so therefore the molds must be as close to symmetrical as possible. slight assymetry can be corrected when dropouts are bonded but it must be checked, and guess what, most manufacturers don't do that. one would think companies would put effort into insuring symmetrical molds,but according to his tests several manufacturers were off by more than the 1.8mm number.
other things can contribute; loose headsets, out of true wheels, unaligned frames, poor design- but assymetrical fork blades can almost guarantee a problem at speed.
interesting article , among others he's written. the guy knows his stuff.
you can send him a fork to be tested for a nominal fee if you're curious.
Old 04-01-07, 08:13 AM
Dogsled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This problem is not all high speed wobble, although that did happen 1 time. I do try the knees to the top tube and the loose grip on decents to try to prevent this, (I'll call instability). It just feels like I am getting a flat and maybe hspd wobble IS what is starting to happen but with the prevention methods like "knees in" it doesn't get into it but I always have to slow down grrrrrrr. Like I said, the old aluminum Trek was rock solid the only thing that changed was the bike. It's a sad day when your group rides away on a decent. I do notice, in a pack I can hit 30+ and the bike feels pretty good, so, that's in a wind protected environment hmmm (wheels) and it's not 40mph. I just don't know.
Old 04-01-07, 08:32 AM
DiscoStu
Lightweight

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac, 2005 Specialized Allez Elite, 2005 Kona Cinder Cone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Tarmac feels better than the old Allez Elite. I don't think I'm gripping as tight because the bike handles that much better.

Another point is that my old bike had crap Alex wheels on it and the rear was WAY out of ballance (light on the stem side as usual). I put a couple valve nuts on to help balance it (weight trade-off), but it still caused vibrations. The back end felt jittery.
Old 04-01-07, 08:52 AM
thomspins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's not the bike; any instability at speed and in cornering is due to a poor position.

If position is set up for racing it'll be wayy more stable on higher speeds and hard cornering but not as comfy on long group rides; if set up for touring and screwing around... it'll be the inverse..

same as racing motorcycles
Old 04-01-07, 09:26 AM
biker7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thomspins
it's not the bike; any instability at speed and in cornering is due to a poor position.

If position is set up for racing it'll be wayy more stable on higher speeds and hard cornering but not as comfy on long group rides; if set up for touring and screwing around... it'll be the inverse..

same as racing motorcycles
Not necessarily. I have descended at speed approaching 80 mph with gail force side winds when standing one legged on the saddle riding no hands and my bike tracks dead solid. I believe it is a combination of how the rider is on the bike and the bike itself.
George

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.