Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replcement Rim Suggestions!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19, 01:16 PM
kovacsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi All, I need to replace a rim that is cracked around the spokes. This is my bike: https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/whistler/2015 (Whistler 70)

I can't find any info on my current clincher rim (700C) for my 32mm tires. I'm looking to replace it with a rim that is "fast" on pavement and can handle well on dirt and gravel trails. I don't know much about rim profiles or rim technology, etc, so I'm looking for some suggestions on manufacturers of rims that perform well and aren't too costly. Also, any links to info on how to choose a rim would be helpful too! Thanks

Last edited by kovacsa; 07-19-19 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-19-19, 02:46 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Tubed or tubeless? then budget. what you asking for "fast" and aren't too costly very rarely exist together

Can you do the work yourself? unless you can find a rim with an identical ERD (the diameter) you may find it cheaper to just replace the whole wheel/wheel set, as you will need to replace the spokes/nipples in addition to the rim.

Would be looking for/at brands like Shimano, Mavic, or see what your LBS has.
Old 07-19-19, 02:56 PM
kovacsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll likely be doing the work myself with the help of YouTube videos. I was hoping to get just the rim to save on the expense of an entire new wheel set.
Old 07-19-19, 03:07 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Pick a rim width that is appropriate for the tire you are going to use.
Aero rims tend to be heavy, which is pretty much a negative for other than high speed use.
Handling is more tire and operator perception.

The approach I would take with an unknown rim to replace-
Measure a spoke. Both sides if a rear or disc hub.
Use a spoke calculator and determine an ERD for that spoke length and number of crosses. Just plug in different ERD's until you get the length correct.
Find a rim with that ERD.
The reason I'd work this way is your spokes might not be the "best" length as installed in the current rim. You may as well make them a "best fit" for the new rim.

Don't mess with old nipples. Wire brush the spoke threads.
That still won't give the "feel" of new spokes & nipples, but failure to do so makes the job much tougher. Nearly impossible if you are inexperienced.
Old 07-19-19, 04:02 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I would suggest an 18 mm inside width rim. My favorite in that size is the Velocity Dyad because Velocity rims are round and flat, so they are easy and fast to build; just tighten each nipple the same amount you are really close. The Alex DM18 is pretty good, and less expensive. The Sun CR18 is even less expensive, and takes a bit longer to build, and it is not possible to get even tension and a true rim.

I recommend following: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html for building wheels.
Old 07-19-19, 11:48 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by kovacsa
I'll likely be doing the work myself with the help of YouTube videos. I was hoping to get just the rim to save on the expense of an entire new wheel set.
Do the math on this, as spokes/nipples and rims aren't cheap, you may find it's cheaper to just buy a complete wheel, go back before factory wheels existed (late 90's early '00s), and building made sense, if you are starting now, would really question why unless you needed something non-standard.
Old 07-20-19, 12:59 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Do the math on this, as spokes/nipples and rims aren't cheap, you may find it's cheaper to just buy a complete wheel, go back before factory wheels existed (late 90's early '00s), and building made sense, if you are starting now, would really question why unless you needed something non-standard.
Given what the op said, a wheelbuild without a tensionmeter or any of the tools will NOT be cheaper than buying a wheel outright. Not even close.