Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Endurance Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-21, 12:41 PM
Robert Dini

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Endurance Bikes

I'm in the process of looking for a new or late model used endurance bike (i.e., Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse, etc.) Anybody have any suggestions. My current ride is a Cannondale SuperSix.
Old 08-14-21, 01:32 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Every bike company makes an endurance model and they are all good, some may be better for "you" than others. When I was looking for an endurance bike I test rode the two you mentioned plus the Giant and the Trek Domane. For me, the Domane was the clear winner by a long shot. It wouldn't hurt to look at what I call the B brands. The bikes that don't have the same sales number as Specialized, Trek, Giant and Cannondale. Bikes like the Fuji, Scott, BMC, Orbea, Factor and Canyon come to mind. It is a matter of test riding every bike that you can which can be difficult in these times. Canyon is a direct to consumer brand so the price is good and if you dislike it you can always send it back before 30 days. Good luck with what ever you choose.
Old 08-14-21, 01:38 PM
Robert Dini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Endurance Bikes

That's good advice. I didn't realize that Canyon was a customer direct company. Thanks for that info.
Old 08-14-21, 03:53 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Best to see what's actually available.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-14-21, 10:48 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Dini
I'm in the process of looking for a new or late model used endurance bike (i.e., Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse, etc.) Anybody have any suggestions. My current ride is a Cannondale SuperSix.
Be careful for what you wish for...I went from a SuperSix some years ago to a Synapse and hated that bike on many, many levels. I regretted with all my soul getting rid of my SuperSIx, worst decision I ever made bike wise, besides buying the Synapse. I sold it in less than a year, bought an Emonda which I absolutely love and still have. I don't think mentally I was ready for the endurance geometry and still enjoyed playing in the race geometry. Flash forward 5 years and I have a completely different mindset. I was now 56, not looking to ride 20+ mph group rides and more into the, lets just go ride and enjoy the fresh air and scenery mindset. I ended up getting a Domane last year and absolutely love it and enjoy riding it.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-15-21, 05:42 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Back in 2017, I rode a Domane SL6 Disc and the Specialized equivalent. The Domane just felt better - the geometries of the two bikes were slightly different but most of the component levels were the same. The shock absorption and the wheels on the Domane and the geometry probably are why I preferred it. I mostly do longer hilly rides on typical non-perfect road surfaces.

Still loving the bike with many thousands of miles on it. I'm not a racer so the endurance geometry is what I was looking for over the the more stretched out ride of the Trek 520 touring bike I'd been riding for 20 years.
Old 08-15-21, 12:18 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I just bought a Cervelo Calendonia. I've only taken it out for three rides, but so far, I'm a big fan. Very comfortable, feels fast, but my opinion would surely be worth more if I'd been riding it for three years, or even three months, rather than just three total rides.
Old 08-15-21, 02:40 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
That's good advice. I didn't realize that Canyon was a customer direct company. Thanks for that info.
That's what keeps me from even looking at them. Every bike I've ever bought has needed some mods to accommodate my physical dimensions. And if you show up at the LBS with a brand they don't carry, they'll work on it, but you certainly won't get priority. I'll pass on Canyon.
Old 08-16-21, 08:11 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
There are now so many endurance road bikes that it is almost pointless listing them all. The Roubaix stands out because of it's front suspension and the Trek Domane has IsoSpeed damping. But since wider, more compliant tyres became the norm most endurance road bikes are now pretty comfortable without resorting to mechanical systems. I have a Giant Defy, which is a pretty solid endurance bike, with simple, but effective, flexible D-shaped seatpost and bars. On 30 mm or 32 mm tyres it is very comfortable and still pretty quick. Pretty much every other brand has an equivalent endurance model. If you like Cannondale then the Synapse is very well regarded. The current Synapse model has been out for a few years now, so likely to be due for an update soon. That might make the outgoing model a bit cheaper in the end, but not in the current market! Availability of most bikes is terrible at the moment and used bikes are selling at a premium.
Old 08-16-21, 08:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
That's what keeps me from even looking at them. Every bike I've ever bought has needed some mods to accommodate my physical dimensions. And if you show up at the LBS with a brand they don't carry, they'll work on it, but you certainly won't get priority. I'll pass on Canyon.
Maybe look into using a different shop. Thats an absurd business policy.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-16-21, 09:38 AM
Robert Dini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Be careful for what you wish for...I went from a SuperSix some years ago to a Synapse and hated that bike on many, many levels. I regretted with all my soul getting rid of my SuperSIx, worst decision I ever made bike wise, besides buying the Synapse. I sold it in less than a year, bought an Emonda which I absolutely love and still have. I don't think mentally I was ready for the endurance geometry and still enjoyed playing in the race geometry. Flash forward 5 years and I have a completely different mindset. I was now 56, not looking to ride 20+ mph group rides and more into the, lets just go ride and enjoy the fresh air and scenery mindset. I ended up getting a Domane last year and absolutely love it and enjoy riding it.
Thank you for the benefit of your experience. When I bought my SuperSix, I actually road tested a Synapse, but it felt less nimble as though it had understeer. At that time, I also road tested a Roubaix and I liked that well enough, but not as much as the SuperSix. I road tested a Trek Madone too, but I didn't care for it, but that may have been the shop owner's less than charming attitude. Road testing bicycles now is difficult because few stores have bikes to sell, much less loaners.
Old 08-16-21, 09:44 AM
Robert Dini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
I just bought a Cervelo Calendonia. I've only taken it out for three rides, but so far, I'm a big fan. Very comfortable, feels fast, but my opinion would surely be worth more if I'd been riding it for three years, or even three months, rather than just three total rides.
Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old 08-16-21, 09:46 AM
Robert Dini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
There are now so many endurance road bikes that it is almost pointless listing them all. The Roubaix stands out because of it's front suspension and the Trek Domane has IsoSpeed damping. But since wider, more compliant tyres became the norm most endurance road bikes are now pretty comfortable without resorting to mechanical systems. I have a Giant Defy, which is a pretty solid endurance bike, with simple, but effective, flexible D-shaped seatpost and bars. On 30 mm or 32 mm tyres it is very comfortable and still pretty quick. Pretty much every other brand has an equivalent endurance model. If you like Cannondale then the Synapse is very well regarded. The current Synapse model has been out for a few years now, so likely to be due for an update soon. That might make the outgoing model a bit cheaper in the end, but not in the current market! Availability of most bikes is terrible at the moment and used bikes are selling at a premium.
Not sure we have a nearby Giant dealer, but I'll look. Thanks.
Old 08-16-21, 09:48 AM
Robert Dini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Back in 2017, I rode a Domane SL6 Disc and the Specialized equivalent. The Domane just felt better - the geometries of the two bikes were slightly different but most of the component levels were the same. The shock absorption and the wheels on the Domane and the geometry probably are why I preferred it. I mostly do longer hilly rides on typical non-perfect road surfaces.

Still loving the bike with many thousands of miles on it. I'm not a racer so the endurance geometry is what I was looking for over the the more stretched out ride of the Trek 520 touring bike I'd been riding for 20 years.
I'll give the Domane a look. Did you realize that Domane is an anagram of Madone?
Old 08-16-21, 09:49 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
+1 A great way for a shop to go out of business. Some shops are so short-sighted. When Canyon and other direct brands first came on the scene a few of our local shops decided to black-ball them on servicing, which I thought was the dumbest thing ever. But the ones that are still in business seem to have learned to accept that people might choose to buy a bike from somewhere else. Especially these days when stock levels are at an all-time low.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-16-21, 10:09 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Moot point since I won't buy a bike via the internet. Canyon has no dealers in the US. I'll stick with a good fitting via the LBS.
Old 08-16-21, 10:22 AM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
+1 A great way for a shop to go out of business. Some shops are so short-sighted. When Canyon and other direct brands first came on the scene a few of our local shops decided to black-ball them on servicing, which I thought was the dumbest thing ever. But the ones that are still in business seem to have learned to accept that people might choose to buy a bike from somewhere else. Especially these days when stock levels are at an all-time low.
Or how about if people move into town with some "odd" brand. Very short sighted.
Old 08-16-21, 10:28 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I'll give the Domane a look. Did you realize that Domane is an anagram of Madone?
Not only that, but Trek also has an Emonda model line!
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 08-16-21, 01:47 PM
Rhondito

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced Revolt 2; 2019 Cannondale Synapse; 2017 Cannondale Habit Lefty; 2010 Blue RD1 (retired)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
I've been very happy with my Synapse. She's super comfortable.
I prefer to buy local and keep my bike shop in business. They take great care of my bikes and it's nice to have somewhere close to run in when I need something.
Old 08-16-21, 02:13 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Hmm, I thought the "they say consensus" was that shops broke even, at best, selling new bikes, and made all their money on service and accessories.
Old 08-16-21, 02:40 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Hmm, I thought the "they say consensus" was that shops broke even, at best, selling new bikes, and made all their money on service and accessories.
No idea if that's true, but I'd hate to take a mail-order bike to a shop and say "can you make this bike fit me?" I usually need some mods to get a proper fit. I'll stick with my LBS for a bike that fits. Also, what's so special about Canyon?
Old 08-16-21, 04:40 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
No idea if that's true, but I'd hate to take a mail-order bike to a shop and say "can you make this bike fit me?" I usually need some mods to get a proper fit. I'll stick with my LBS for a bike that fits. Also, what's so special about Canyon?

My local shop fixes and puts together a lot of big box store bikes. There are a lot of them that do. My shop does not care about brand or type, if it is two wheels and does not have a gas motor, it is welcome.

Brian

Old 08-16-21, 06:23 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Emonda too.
Old 08-16-21, 07:14 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
My local shop fixes and puts together a lot of big box store bikes. There are a lot of them that do. My shop does not care about brand or type, if it is two wheels and does not have a gas motor, it is welcome.

Brian
That's good, but, well, what's so special about Canyon? And how will I know if it will fit if I can't sit on it first? Frame geometry numbers can only go so far.
Old 08-16-21, 07:37 PM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Moot point since I won't buy a bike via the internet. Canyon has no dealers in the US. I'll stick with a good fitting via the LBS.
With the current supply chain shortage, most LBS' in my town have little to no stock with waiting lists that begin in spring 2022. I would take another look at Canyon (I've ordered two bikes from them and they have been excellent and shipping is very quick) plus they also have an outlet section that can save you some cash. Proscloset is another online shop that sells pre-owned bikes (I've sold and purchased from them as well and they are very professional - more so than my LBS, to be honest with you).

Cheers!
Likes For cj3209:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.