Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

YouTubers going tandeming

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-21, 07:44 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

I've seen some good stories about tandem riding by established, professional YouTubers recently, so thought I'd share here.

First, Kara and Nate are an American couple who make good travel videos and have been trying to do something in every US state lately. Everyone told them to do RAGBRAI for Iowa, so they rented a Co-Motion tandem and took the plunge. Despite having minimal bike touring experience and even less tandem knowledge, they did surprisingly well.

Second, Ed Pratt is an Englishman whose series about riding a unicycle around the world was very popular and entertaining. Half way around, he met a girl in Kyrgyzstan, who has now come to England with him and they've bought a tandem to tour the SW coast of England. He's just released the first episode of the series, which is mainly about preparing the tandem, bags and accessories. He's lucky to live very close to SJS Cycles who make Thorn tandems.

Enjoy, and please share any other quality content that you know about!

Kara and Nate, RAGBRAI Part 1:

Kara and Nate, RAGBRAI Part 2:

Ed Pratt, tandem touring SW England Episode 1:

Last edited by Chris_W; 09-22-21 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-22-21, 11:37 AM
themrbruceguy

Bikes: Early 70's Stella -> Gravel SS Conversion, 2019 Trek Stache SS

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Awesome links, thanks for sharing!
Old 09-24-21, 01:01 AM
djedgar

Bikes: Ventana ECDM, Santana Beyond, Cannondale Mtn tandem, Double Vision Recumbent, Specialized Epic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
RAGBRAI: the memories

Thanks for sharing the links. We experienced RAGBRAI three years running, twice on tandems (1998-2000). Some things must have changed as then there was always a "century day" option and the campgrounds were like street fairs. It was the wonderful people we met that had us going back though, so that didn't change.
Old 10-11-21, 08:26 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Ed Pratt has posted 2 more video in the SW England tandem tour series and the GCN presenters have been doing another silly tandem challenge. For more GCN tandem content, just search for "GCN tandem" in YouTube.

Old 10-11-21, 12:29 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
If you take the time to watch the GCN video, Notice how the drivetrain starts skipping on the steep sections, then they cut away to a more reasonable grade where everything is hunky-dorry. I wonder if the maker of this super tandem know what they are doing.......
Old 10-14-21, 05:46 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Alcanbrad
If you take the time to watch the GCN video, Notice how the drivetrain starts skipping on the steep sections, then they cut away to a more reasonable grade where everything is hunky-dorry. I wonder if the maker of this super tandem know what they are doing.......
Probably just a worn ring or cog. They were OOS, that's when one first notices it. Typical massively over-geared tandem. Also they aren't synced up very well. Shots from the front or back when effort is high show a lot of frame flex. The stoker is really reefing on the back of the bike - he rather thrashes around. Looks to me like the stoker compartment is 10%-15% longer than the the usual 28.5". That will cause more frame flex though it can be more aero, depending on the stoker's flexibility. For most recreational teams, I think the standard compartment length is more aero.

My guess is that this fancy bike is a bit lighter than two singles. Plus the usual tandem climb rate is proportional to the average of the 2 riders' watts/kg. If that's not the case, the team could be better synced. IMO. It makes a huge difference if both riders have the same power profile around the pedal circle. That tandem shouldn't be flexing.
Old 10-27-21, 10:07 AM
WesleyEng.com

Bikes: Pacific Dualie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My channel is for my Jeep but I did make one video with the tandem showcasing my bike rack, but the rest is riding from Brooklyn to Manhattan and back
Old 10-28-21, 10:23 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
I particularly enjoy the Ed Pratt UK tour. I know much of that part of the world where I grew up and rode a lot, but on a solo. I can't imagine doing those hills on a fully- loaded tandem. A pity the days are not in sequence on YouTube or is it just me who has to search for the next one?