Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

SoCal singlespeed off-roaders - where do you ride?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-22, 10:05 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

I usually ride my geared gravel bike as I live up near La Canada/Altadena, and all the good riding near me involves lots of climbing. But occasionally I take my singlespeed gravel bike out for fun and a different workout. My locale isn't too ss-friendly, and even though the bike is geared pretty low, I'm probably not gonna climb Mt Lowe on it. For example, down Gabrieleno out to the dam by JPL is great fun on the ss - that's usually where I go.
Just curious where other singlespeed gravel or mountain bikers in the LA area ride, especially if you're up near my neck of the woods.
Old 10-02-22, 08:43 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 441 Posts
The only other trail I can think of that would be worth doing on a SS is the Fullerton Loop. Though, both my gravel and my road bike are geared for climbing and I've given up on the idea of doing any substantial off-road riding that doesn't include climbing in this part of town!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 10-03-22, 09:53 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Chino hills state park has some flattish stuff on the outside and some hills in the middle. Can get allot of miles and vert there if you want. Some hike a bike maybe require if you go into the middle trails.

My old singlespeed was geared 32/20 for ref
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone:
Old 10-03-22, 04:11 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by jsigone
Chino hills state park has some flattish stuff on the outside and some hills in the middle. Can get allot of miles and vert there if you want. Some hike a bike maybe require if you go into the middle trails.

My old singlespeed was geared 32/20 for ref
Cool, thanks, never been there but I do drive out thataway from time to time. I had ss 29'r MTB that was 32/20 as well. Currently a gravel bike that's 34x18 so it's even tougher, but I do have fun on it (and do some hiking for sure when I take it out).
Old 10-03-22, 04:13 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
The only other trail I can think of that would be worth doing on a SS is the Fullerton Loop. Though, both my gravel and my road bike are geared for climbing and I've given up on the idea of doing any substantial off-road riding that doesn't include climbing in this part of town!
Yeah, man, it is just steep everywhere near me!
Likes For pbass:
Old 10-03-22, 05:10 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4941 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
Brown Mountain. Cherry Canyon. The Glendale Sports Complex loop is good (clockwise is easier), but if you try to link to Cherry Canyon on the ridge road, there are parts you will be walking. I'm running 32x19 on 26" wheels.

What I found was that there was a progression in my SS riding - a brute-strength kind of fitness. At first, I would have to stop and recover multiple times on the major climbs. As my strength improved, the stops got less, until I was doing the climbs non-stop. I learned a lot about regulating my efforts.
Old 10-03-22, 05:39 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by Eric F
Brown Mountain. Cherry Canyon. The Glendale Sports Complex loop is good (clockwise is easier), but if you try to link to Cherry Canyon on the ridge road, there are parts you will be walking. I'm running 32x19 on 26" wheels.

What I found was that there was a progression in my SS riding - a brute-strength kind of fitness. At first, I would have to stop and recover multiple times on the major climbs. As my strength improved, the stops got less, until I was doing the climbs non-stop. I learned a lot about regulating my efforts.
Heya--I think we've chatted before about this in the singlespeed forum. I ride my geared gravel rig all around there all the time(I live down Chevy Chase). But those are tough climbs on a singlespeed! I had a 32x20 mtb but now my ss is another gravel rig set up 34-18. I took it up Cherry recently, and I was walking a lot (I still had fun of course). The most fun I have on the ss bike nearby are Gabrieleno as I say, and also that Flint Canyon trail that connects Cherry to over by JPL. Just nice flowy stuff like that is hard to come by around here!
Likes For pbass:
Old 10-03-22, 06:43 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by pbass
Heya--I think we've chatted before about this in the singlespeed forum. I ride my geared gravel rig all around there all the time(I live down Chevy Chase). But those are tough climbs on a singlespeed! I had a 32x20 mtb but now my ss is another gravel rig set up 34-18. I took it up Cherry recently, and I was walking a lot (I still had fun of course). The most fun I have on the ss bike nearby are Gabrieleno as I say, and also that Flint Canyon trail that connects Cherry to over by JPL. Just nice flowy stuff like that
is hard to come by around here!
Yes. We’ve talked 👍

Doing the Cherry climb, take the right turn for Liz’s loop near the start. It is a little longer, but bypasses some of the steep pitches on the lower half. The top half, is just suffering between the plateaus. I found that stopping to recover for as long as needed, and then tackling the tough parts on the bike is good for building towards improved strength. Some stuff is just too much, however.

Flint is a perfect starting route for SS, and a great dirt link between the areas.

There are a couple of others SS MTB’ers in the area that I have come across on Brown. One is almost always wearing a kilt, but sometimes can be found on other bikes (road bike, last time). The other will be riding a custom Esker. Both great guys.
Old 10-03-22, 10:40 PM
jonathanf2

Yeah, man, it is just steep everywhere near me!
I feel you, I'm also near the area (ER, Mt. Washington, HLP) and no matter which direction I ride it's climbing! Besides lower gearing, I'm even using long crank lengths just to get more torque from my pedaling. One of the ride groups I roll with constantly does climbing and it's amazing how strong some of the fixed gear riders when it comes to the climb.

Though I wouldn't trade living in near the hills. Whenever I go to the OC or other areas that are predominantly flat, it just feels awkward for me!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 10-04-22, 09:58 AM
pbass

I feel you, I'm also near the area (ER, Mt. Washington, HLP) and no matter which direction I ride it's climbing! Besides lower gearing, I'm even using long crank lengths just to get more torque from my pedaling. One of the ride groups I roll with constantly does climbing and it's amazing how strong some of the fixed gear riders when it comes to the climb.

Though I wouldn't trade living in near the hills. Whenever I go to the OC or other areas that are predominantly flat, it just feels awkward for me!
I know, the grass is always greener, right? If I ever moved to a flatter locale, I'd get bored with that pretty quick. Plus I'm 62, and all the climbing I do here is keeping me young!
Likes For pbass:
Old 10-04-22, 10:44 AM
jonathanf2

I know, the grass is always greener, right? If I ever moved to a flatter locale, I'd get bored with that pretty quick. Plus I'm 62, and all the climbing I do here is keeping me young!
I've come to embrace the climb! Maybe look into making your SS gearing a bit more climb friendly with a bigger rear freewheel or maybe convert it to fixed? I find the fixed gear riders I ride with are able to maintain good climb cadence since the pedals are in perpetual motion and also due to the straight chain line. One of the strongest fixed gear riders in our group is a woman and she's usually leading the pack!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 10-04-22, 05:00 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Cheseboro Canyon is pretty flat if you stick to the main trail along the floor of the canyon. 8 miles round trip to Shepherd's Flat and back.

Dirt Mulholland is fairly tame, but GPS mapping suggests it does get up to about 9% at places.

Last edited by urbanknight; 10-04-22 at 05:04 PM.
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 10-04-22, 08:05 PM
pbass

I've come to embrace the climb! Maybe look into making your SS gearing a bit more climb friendly with a bigger rear freewheel or maybe convert it to fixed? I find the fixed gear riders I ride with are able to maintain good climb cadence since the pedals are in perpetual motion and also due to the straight chain line. One of the strongest fixed gear riders in our group is a woman and she's usually leading the pack!
Funny, I just went to a tougher gear in the rear 'cause I was spinning out too much on anything remotely flat. I know, I know, with ss you're always in the "wrong gear"
Fixed is something I have never even tried.
Likes For pbass:
Old 10-11-22, 12:36 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Funny, I just went to a tougher gear in the rear 'cause I was spinning out too much on anything remotely flat. I know, I know, with ss you're always in the "wrong gear"
Fixed is something I have never even tried.
What I found is that flat-ground speed is something you just have to sacrifice in order to have a gear you can manage when things get challenging. I'm spun out at about 14mph.
Old 10-13-22, 10:04 PM
syckman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Turnbull Canyon in Whittier should be ok with your SS. No shade at all though so don't head out there in the Summer heat.
Likes For syckman:
Old 10-14-22, 12:16 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Cheseboro Canyon is pretty flat if you stick to the main trail along the floor of the canyon. 8 miles round trip to Shepherd's Flat and back.

Dirt Mulholland is fairly tame, but GPS mapping suggests it does get up to about 9% at places.
I ride Dirt Mulholland on my geared gravel bike - nice change from my usual La Canada/Altadena rides. My ss gravel bike is currently running about 53 gear inches, so while I might try it there, I don't think it'd be a regular thing! But I do deliberately take it "underbiking" at times, just for the ass kicking.
Likes For pbass:
Old 10-14-22, 12:41 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by urbanknight

There's a section between Reseda and the Hub that is pretty tough.