Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Steel faster than carbon?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Steel faster than carbon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-22, 10:20 PM
amazinmets73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
One thing that would help is multiple controlled repeats of the experiment, to establish some statistical significance to the claimed differences.

But before that, one would really need to have a properly controlled experiment. The biggest single flaw in the google doc is that the tires on the steel bike have vastly better rolling resistance than those on the carbon bike, so how do you know that you are measuring something other than the differences due to the tires?

Essentially, you want to change one thing only: frame material. Ideally, you would want to use the same wheels, tires and drive train. Several different routes, several different riders, etc. would also make things more compelling.

You are trying to test a very specific hypothesis: frame material is the only thing that matters. The rest of the bike should weigh the same, have the same air resistance, road resistance, pedaling resistance, etc. In practice, this is a very difficult thing to achieve.

If you see repeatable differences, it is most compelling to design a series of experiments to try to disprove the idea that the observed differences can be explained away by any other effect.

It is a lot harder, in other words, than what is presented in the google doc or that video.
I agree that ideally the only variable that should be altered is frame. Changing frames also impacts positioning, so unless you have frames with identical geometry, this will alter results as well.
Old 10-25-22, 10:36 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 1,793 Posts
Yeah, if you match weight, aerodynamic properties, Young's modulus, geometry, etc until both are identical, the differences, by definition, will disappear. So you also have to be able to make some sort of objective case for what properties of the steel frame you allow to differ. It becomes a fool's errand.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-25-22, 11:21 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
... By your criteria, I must be worthless and weak, but I can certainly live with that just fine.
...to quote another personal hero, Martha Stewart, "It's a good thing."

Originally Posted by rsbob
.If you would like to take my 86 for a spin, you are more than welcome to enjoy the beauty of Columbus steel. Lance would approve.
...It's not about the bike. It's about the performance enhancing drugs you are taking to train and race.
Old 10-26-22, 12:14 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Copy and paste into the browser and it works just fine.

For many years I have proposed the "aero" frame is no more than marketing bull for gullible buyers. Without the whole package being complete, the aero frame is simply shaped tubing and ineffective by itself. Yeah, yeah, follow the science. Science is wrong more than it is right.
Bruh.
What is 'the whole package'? If one thing is more aerodynamic than another, then it can be an improvement.
More aero clothing? That alone can help.
More aero helmet? That alone can help.
More aero bike? That alone can help.

Just one can improve speed/time. Perhaps the improvement is marginal and/or its instance specific, but it can be an improvement.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-26-22, 12:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by amazinmets73
I've always wanted to see the results of, say an 18lbs steel racing bike with modern components and rim brakes matched against a 17lbs carbon aero bike with discs. Same for a 10 year old top-of-the-line 16lbs rim brake carbon bike vs the latest disc brake carbon wonder bike. The fact that bike manufacturers are reluctant to conduct these tests caused me to suspect the results wouldn't be to the likings of their profit margins.

The modern bike industry is a scam so far as I'm concerned.
How many 17# aero carbon disc bikes are there? That's getting into really incredible territory.
Old 10-26-22, 12:36 AM
amazinmets73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
How many 17# aero carbon disc bikes are there? That's getting into really incredible territory.
An S-Works Venge should weigh roughly 17... Would vary by spec obviously.
Old 10-26-22, 12:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

An S-Works Venge should weigh roughly 17... Would vary by spec obviously.
The Venge isn't made anymore, but yes that would be an example. It would also qualify for my statement of a bike that is in really incredible territory since it cost $12,500 or so.
The SWorks SL7 replaced the Venge and it's $14,000. What does that cost relate to...maybe 0.1% of bikes?

You want to put that against an 18# steel road bike with rim brakes that would cost what...probably $7000 if you went overboard?
Why do this? The SWorks would be lighter and more aero. What would you hope to accomplish with this contest?
Old 10-26-22, 01:26 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I don't know why he got the results he did.

While the tires are different, they should actually be roughly about equal according to BRR, at 6 bar. Use of oval chainrings with powermeters generally changes the results - typically in the direction of over-reading, though (Assioma states this somewhere, and other people found it on tests). We're talking about relatively small error margins here, however.

Other than that, it's a reasonable test - the requirement for the same wheels doesn't quite work when it's disc and rim brake comparison, because where are you going to get a modern rim brake aero bike (and... testing rim vs disc is a thing for itself, although my hunch - based on available data - is that we pay for the awesomeness of disc brakes by a watt or two of air resistance). As long as there's nothing obviously wrong (such as the crankset not spinning freely because of misalignment or something; the cynic in me would add "it's a Trek, after all") I don't think there's much in it when it comes to drivetrain efficiency, provided same lubricant is used (which you'd expect).

It's encouraging, anyway, that an old bike in good condition tests very close to a new one, that testing protocol can eat up any differences. Many other tests have yielded similar results, GCN testing an alloy, essentially budget, Canyon Endurace versus a top of the range Aeroad and finding not much difference in it - the Aeroad was faster, but by fairly little.

Last edited by Branko D; 10-26-22 at 02:27 AM.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 10-26-22, 03:53 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts

The modern bike industry is a scam so far as I'm concerned.
Stay in your cave then
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-26-22, 04:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
But what is the best chain oil?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-26-22, 04:11 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D

It's encouraging, anyway, that an old bike in good condition tests very close to a new one, that testing protocol can eat up any differences. Many other tests have yielded similar results, GCN testing an alloy, essentially budget, Canyon Endurace versus a top of the range Aeroad and finding not much difference in it - the Aeroad was faster, but by fairly little.
I don't think it's all that surprising i.e. that aero gains from the frame are marginal. But that doesn't mean I would prefer to ride a steel frame. I've had several steel, alloy and carbon road frames over the years and definitely prefer the ride of modern carbon frames. As an endurance racer I value ride comfort, light weight and handling over ultimate aero performance - hence why I ride a Canyon Endurace vs Aeroroad. There are no steel-framed bikes I would consider in 2022, although I'm sure a top-end modern steel bike would perform well enough (and probably cost more than my carbon Endurace!).
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-26-22, 04:46 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
But what would the test result be if they did it wearing just jorts and shirtless?
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 10-26-22, 05:26 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 1,573 Times in 731 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
But what would the test result be if they did it wearing just jorts and shirtless?
The intro to American Flyers?
Old 10-26-22, 05:33 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Most full on aero bikes at this years Tour de France were in the 8-8.5 kg range.
Old 10-26-22, 05:35 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
...another non-thread and another drama-queen is added to the ignore list
Likes For fishboat:
Old 10-26-22, 06:04 AM
Branko D

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I don't think it's all that surprising i.e. that aero gains from the frame are marginal. But that doesn't mean I would prefer to ride a steel frame. I've had several steel, alloy and carbon road frames over the years and definitely prefer the ride of modern carbon frames. As an endurance racer I value ride comfort, light weight and handling over ultimate aero performance - hence why I ride a Canyon Endurace vs Aeroroad. There are no steel-framed bikes I would consider in 2022, although I'm sure a top-end modern steel bike would perform well enough (and probably cost more than my carbon Endurace!).
Yeah, the funny bit is that even a relatively budget mass produced steel frame is going to cost you more.

A Ritchey Road Logic Disc frameset retails on Bike24 for 1364,50 Eur (I have the Ritchey Swiss Cross, which is the beefier cyclocross / gravel frame, costs the same). Canyon Endurace costs 2099 Eur complete with 105 + an Ultegra 11-34 cassette, a pair of wheels Fulcrum DB9 wheels.

If I add just the price of the R7000 105 groupset on the Ritchey - which is 829,82 Eur (not in stock, of course), it costs more; and we'd have to add at least 300-ish Eur for wheels, tires, a set of budget handlebars, saddle and bar tape, and bottom bracket, and we get 400 Euro more (Canyon probably gets the parts much cheaper, so the price of the basic CF frame is probably the same, but they don't offer that frame by itself). Is the steel bike better? Ehhh... not really, no.

Last edited by Branko D; 10-26-22 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-26-22, 06:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Would depend on the length of the cycling shorts. They are so long.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-26-22, 06:41 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Would depend on the length of the cycling shorts. They are so long.
I wear long shorts and loose tights exclusively.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-26-22, 06:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Most full on aero bikes at this years Tour de France were in the 8-8.5 kg range.
Yes, and I would place those handful of bike models into the 'pretty incredible' category. They are the leadng point. They are the top 0.1%. Rjet are the bleeding edge. Etc etc etc.

My question was rhetorical s8nce I don't actually expect someone t9ncount the number of aes9 bikes weighing 17#. The point was, there are very few and they are incredibly expensive. They are beyond what most can afford for a bike. And the rest would be for what?...the results would show the aero bike as faster since it's both lighter and more aero.
Old 10-26-22, 06:52 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
But...but....but....what about oval chainrings?
Likes For bblair:
Old 10-26-22, 06:54 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Yes, and I would place those handful of bike models into the 'pretty incredible' category. They are the leadng point. They are the top 0.1%. Rjet are the bleeding edge. Etc etc etc.

My question was rhetorical s8nce I don't actually expect someone t9ncount the number of aes9 bikes weighing 17#. The point was, there are very few and they are incredibly expensive. They are beyond what most can afford for a bike. And the rest would be for what?...the results would show the aero bike as faster since it's both lighter and more aero.
The really funny part: I’m willing to bet that 90%+ of these threads about “this versus that – which is faster?“ are started by people who have never entered a bike race. So WTF does it matter?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-26-22, 07:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I agree that ideally the only variable that should be altered is frame. Changing frames also impacts positioning, so unless you have frames with identical geometry, this will alter results as well.

Well, considering that one of the major advantages of carbon is its ability to be molded into shapes impossible with steel, controlling for geometry is eliminating a key variable in determining speed, isn't it?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-26-22, 07:16 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Not steel but this test returns the results I would expect: metal bikes lack the power transfer efficiency of carbon.

https://youtu.be/sjIoNK7l2PA
One needs a planing steel bike with super supple tires. Such bikes climb by themselves and when combined with fenders and a suitcase on the front, they fly.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 10-26-22, 07:18 AM
Branko D

Originally Posted by bblair
But...but....but....what about oval chainrings?
The hype for oval chainrings kind of died when people figured out that the increased power output they were seeing is actually their power meters giving inaccurate readings with oval rings.
Old 10-26-22, 07:31 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
But what is the best chain oil?
Some brand of wax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.