Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where to report trail use issues, Altadena/Pasadena

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-22, 07:02 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

Curious if anyone knows how best to report trail use issues in this area. Specifically, I'm getting pretty annoyed with the electric motorcycles flying down Gabrielino trail. I'm not talkin' e-bikes here, these have no pedals. Two *******s practically ran me down out there just today. I was crawling up, they were flying down and of course just blew past me as I had to skid to a stop. Any suggestions?
Likes For pbass:
Old 10-31-22, 08:11 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
I did a quick search and that trail is in the Angeles National Forest. I'd say you're going to have to call the Feds. Unfortunately unless they catch them in the act of riding around there's not much they can do. I doubt they'll put their top people on it. You may want to mention how they're tearing up the trail and you feel there might be some sort of fire hazard created by them. This might get their attention.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 10-31-22, 05:43 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 442 Posts
Chino Hills State Park flat out banned e-bikes from the trails. Personally I'm somewhat split on e-bikes. On one hand it does allow people who might have mobility issues to ride bikes, but on the other hand I've seen way too many irresponsible e-bike riders on the trails and fire roads. Just today I saw a kid riding to my kid's school on an e-fat bike with no helmet. I'm wondering what kind of thick headed parent would buy their kid an e-bike, but not provide them with the minimum safety equipment? Awhile back I met a very nice elderly couple who are avid MTB'ers riding the Verdugo Mountain trails. They were in their 70s and said to me they thought e-bikes should only be used if you have a disability, anyone else is just lazy!

Last edited by jonathanf2; 10-31-22 at 09:57 PM.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 10-31-22, 06:28 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Chino Hills State Park flat out banned e-bikes from the trails. Personally I'm somewhat split on e-bikes. On one hand it does alloy people who might have mobility issues to ride bikes, but on the other hand I've seen way too many irresponsible e-bike riders on the trails and fire roads. Just today I saw a kid riding to my kid's school on an e-fat bike with no helmet. I'm wondering what kind of thick headed parent would buy their kid an e-bike, but not provide them with the minimum safety equipment? Awhile back I met a very nice elderly couple who are avid MTB'ers riding the Verdugo Mountain trails. They were in their 70s and said to me they thought e-bikes should only be used if you have a disability, anyone else is just lazy!
Yeah, I'm a bit ambivalent about e-bikes---trying to not be an analog bike snob! Still not used to them being on the trail, though. But these guys were on electric motorcycles. No pedals. Going FAST. That's what got me all aggravated.
Back to the ebikes, I was just researching, and it appears they are still considered "motorized" and therefore prohibited out on these trails (https://mwba.org/news/ebike-national-forest/).
But as you say, some people need them to be able to ride at all, and heck, at least they're not polluting. But it's the same issue that keeps popping up--lotsa these folks just got these things and have no trail riding experience and no trail etiquette. When's the last time you saw an e-biker on the trail with a bell, or one who actually slows and gives right of way to a horse and rider? I have yet to see that. They just barrel through, clueless.
Likes For pbass:
Old 11-01-22, 10:31 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
Unfortunately, at this point, there's probably nothing you can do about that specific incident. That said, notifying the local Rangers (yes, they exist) to make them aware may help inspire a higher level of awareness and patrol.

While I have my own (not totally positive) opinions about pedal-assist e-bikes, electric motorcycles are a different animal.
Old 11-01-22, 11:04 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Where were you on the trail? I'm assuming up from JPL somewhere around Gould Mesa camp ground? The trail actually is really long and goes up to Mt Wilson. Most is single track and if the rude bikers come downhill fast at you it can be really un-nerving and somebody is going to get hit.

I admit to having ebike and have ridden from Pasadena up to Gould Mesa and then up the fire road to Angeles Crest Hwy and down to La Canada and back home . A good 25 miler for me... and I used to do it on push bike.. now ebike for that steep fireroad.

If they didn't have pedals then yes... electric motorcycles, and prohibited. You must contact USFS.. keep after them. Their manpower is stretched thin.

In the short term.... A misc chain or cable- lock in the spokes works well. A lot of snakes in there... a 38Special with snakeshot might be carried.

There were a lot of homeless living up there as well..... not good, and they were polluting the water...smelled like ****..... but I think they have run them out. But they will return.
Old 11-02-22, 07:56 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by Eric F
While I have my own (not totally positive) opinions about pedal-assist e-bikes, electric motorcycles are a different animal.
Yeah, I'm the same, and trying to not be the "old man yelling at clouds" in regards to pedal-assist ebikes on the trail. That said, according to that link above they are prohibited there: "Non Motorized trails and fire roads such as El Prieto, Sunset Ridge, Sam Merrill, Brown Mountain & Fern Truck (2N65 & 2N66), Ken Burton, Mt. Lowe (2N50), Gabrielino, Mt Wilson Toll Road, etc. are off limits to all classes of eBikes."

"all classes of ebikes". Is that a reasonable restriction? Perhaps not. And the signage is almost non-existent. Unfortunately, even if it was posted all over the place, we live in a world where many don't think the rules apply to them, and simply don't give a s#*t about anyone but themselves. C'est la vie.
Likes For pbass:
Old 11-02-22, 08:23 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
^^^^^^^^^
Unfortunately your last statement is spot-on. Few Sundays ago I was on an early morning ride @ 7am starting out not far from home. A kid on a mini-bike- I'm talking old-school Briggs & Stratton balloon tires mini-bike- passes me (at least he had a motorcycle helmet on). 5 seconds later an Anaheim PD car goes by me. I'm thinking that kid is busted. Wrong! the cop just drove by not even braking. We were the only ones on that stretch of road. I guess it's not worth their time. As with most things the few spoil it for the many and a little common sense & courtesy go a long way.
BTW try walking down the trail to Trestles in San Clemente the ebikes are more menacing than the 5 fwy. traffic.
West
Old 11-02-22, 09:36 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by pbass
Yeah, I'm the same, and trying to not be the "old man yelling at clouds" in regards to pedal-assist ebikes on the trail. That said, according to that link above they are prohibited there: "Non Motorized trails and fire roads such as El Prieto, Sunset Ridge, Sam Merrill, Brown Mountain & Fern Truck (2N65 & 2N66), Ken Burton, Mt. Lowe (2N50), Gabrielino, Mt Wilson Toll Road, etc. are off limits to all classes of eBikes."

"all classes of ebikes". Is that a reasonable restriction? Perhaps not. And the signage is almost non-existent. Unfortunately, even if it was posted all over the place, we live in a world where many don't think the rules apply to them, and simply don't give a s#*t about anyone but themselves. C'est la vie.
I ride a lot of those roads and trails on a regular basis (including last night) I don't recall seeing a single sign anywhere in that system that indicates e-bikes are prohibited, and I see e-bikes regularly. There certainly isn't anyone around to enforce the rules.
Old 11-03-22, 10:56 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Can't wait til e motorcycles are climbing up El P
Old 11-03-22, 05:06 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Elvo
Can't wait til e motorcycles are climbing up El P
That will get met with strong resistance from the armor-clad flocks bombing down El P.
Old 11-07-22, 01:55 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 442 Posts
I just remembered, if you have any trail issues in the area, definitely contact the Mt. Wilson Biking Association. They're definitely adamant about keeping the trails safe in the Angeles Crest Mountains. They're the men and women who keep trails like El Prieto maintained and safe.

Here's a link to their site:
https://linktr.ee/mwbaorg