Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Motobecane from 1975 vs. Centurian Le Mans 1980s

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-22, 03:56 PM
TLit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

I had my Motobecane worked on this week, now a 10 speed. Also bought a lightly used Centurian Le Mans from the 1980s. I rode both today and I'm not feeling a lot of difference or advantage with the newer bike. 62cm vs. 68 cm. Is there a reason the newer one is not that much easier to ride?

Old 11-03-22, 05:02 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
The "tech" is nearly the same, the Centurion may have an additional cog in back.
Old 11-03-22, 05:19 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Please explain "not easier to ride" . 62cm to 68cm is a big jump are you having fitment troubles ? Also have you gone through the LeMans yet ? Ie : new grease for all the bearings ? I'll be interested in your comparison . But I'm with repechage they are a similar bike .

Last edited by markwesti; 11-03-22 at 05:23 PM.
Likes For markwesti:
Old 11-04-22, 06:42 AM
TLit

Originally Posted by markwesti
Please explain "not easier to ride" . 62cm to 68cm is a big jump are you having fitment troubles ? Also have you gone through the LeMans yet ? Ie : new grease for all the bearings ? I'll be interested in your comparison . But I'm with repechage they are a similar bike .
I just got it; is it hard to grease/access the bearings? The 68 fits better.
Likes For TLit:
Old 11-04-22, 10:43 AM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by TLit
I just got it; is it hard to grease/access the bearings? The 68 fits better.
To grease everything , headset , wheels , bottom bracket , it's not hard but you will need some tools . Wrenches for the bottom bracket , cone wrenches for the wheels and maybe wrenches for the headset . The mechanics section here is a good source of information and YouTube is nice because you watch it done on a video . If the 68cm fits better then for sure go with that . Good luck and keep us posted .
Mark .
Old 11-04-22, 04:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I had a 1975 or '75 Motobecane Mirage, bought new back then for commuting to and from base when I was stationed in SoCal. All hi-ten frame and fork, so not lightweight, but a very comfortable ride. Especially those extra-curvy French forks of that era.

But there's a huge difference in frame size between your Motobecane and Centurion. The frame that fits you best will be the most comfortable and satisfactory over the long haul. Depends on trail, wheelbase, stability, etc. It's gotta be tricky to build a frame for taller riders at a modest price point.

Also, the Motobecane Mirage will have steel rims, if those are the original wheels. The Centurion might have alloy rims. If you keep the Motobecane, consider switching to alloy rims for better braking in wet conditions.

Tires make a big difference too. The Motobecane has 27" wheels, with a more limited selection of tires -- although there are still some very good tires from Panaracer under the Soma and Rivendell brands. Makes a big difference in ride feel and comfort. Ditto, using latex tubes for a smoother ride, although latex tubes are pricey and trickier to install -- powder those tubes to make 'em slippery and reduce the risk of pinching. And tape the rims with Gorilla tape or tubeless tire tape, to protect the latex tubes from the spoke holes. Worth the extra effort for a smoother ride over rough pavement such as chipseal.

My bucket list still includes a 1975-1977 era Motobecane Super Mirage or better, with those luscious curvy forks. Possibly the ultimate in comfort for longer leisurely rides.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-04-22, 05:11 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Sounds like the Centurion just needs a bearing repack, etc. as described above. In any event, you should go with whichever bike fits you better, because that's the hardest thing to change.

Tech level difference will be negligible in this case; later '80s bikes introduced indexed shifting, aero brake levers, possibly dual-pivot brakes, and more rear cogs. The Motobecane may have several French-threaded parts, considerably harder to find in the 21st Century.
Old 11-14-22, 06:10 PM
TLit

Thanks for the feedback on this thread. The Centurion is next to new with very little in the way of real wear, scratches, etc.. Sort of mysterious for a bike that is from the 1980s, not sure what year it was made. The seller said that he put on handle bar tape and that was about it. The front brakes were rubbing somewhat so I used some WD40 on the metal springs. The whole point of buying a bike is to get maximum use and enjoyment out of it. It's always good to have a back-up bike.
Old 11-14-22, 06:19 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 140 Posts
I don't know if I've ever seen a 68cm frame IRL.
Please forgive me if this is too personal; but may I ask how tall you are?
Old 11-14-22, 07:50 PM
TLit

I was 6 foot six, now 6 foot four over 60, should have worked more on posture.

It does not seem that big to me.
Old 11-15-22, 03:29 AM
madpogue 

The branding on the Centurion appears consistent with the 1984 model, going by the catalogs on vintage-centurion.com . You might be able to narrow it down via the https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ber-guide.html .
Old 11-15-22, 06:02 PM
TLit

Thanks for the analysis. Once I turned the bike over the digits are....N4G6978.
Old 11-15-22, 08:39 PM
madpogue 

So depending on the interpretation of the N(1) code, it's from either June or early April (7th fortnight) 1984.