Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I have feelings about the "Hand-Hammered" look in fenders and other things

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I have feelings about the "Hand-Hammered" look in fenders and other things

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-22, 10:22 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-09-22, 11:00 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
My cousin owned a machine shop for quite a while, specializing in custom metalwork for rich folks. Massive fireplace fronts, custom timber joinery, etc. Typically he'd fab the parts using modern tools, run them through the power hammer machine for that look, then assemble. Good money.

His power hammer was something from the 40's. Dangerous as heck, super cool. WHAM WHAM WHAM. Keep your hands clear!

I take my fenders smooth, but that's just me.
Old 11-09-22, 11:17 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 662 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
I’ll have a go:

I nave never before seen, let alone imagined TRI-extender bars on mustache/pope bars.
I really like it.
Old 11-09-22, 11:20 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 662 Posts
Quote:
Cudak888 wrote:
"Perhaps refer to exhibit A above before posting - perhaps it'll help to craft the thread in a more productive manner, eh?"

wow Kurt, I already gave a public apology.

Got a HAIR SHIRT you want me to wear???*

*needs another MOJITO served un a copper hammered mug.
Old 11-09-22, 11:51 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Rob, if that's the way you feel, why did you start this thread that suggests the opposite? Or, for that matter, the other similar, copycat threads that lead with some kind of vague rant that tends to agitate up a fairly petty debate?
I have a theory that @Robvolz just likes to rant. I'm picturing Andy Rooney after a bottle of wine. I could be wrong.
Old 11-10-22, 12:21 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I have a theory that @Robvolz just likes to rant. I'm picturing Andy Rooney after a bottle of wine. I could be wrong.
Pretty harmless really.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 11-10-22, 05:16 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
I nave never before seen, let alone imagined TRI-extender bars on mustache/pope bars.
I really like it.
They’re the first version of Velo Orange crazy bars. Pretty comfy! Not exactly C&V approved…

Figured I might check a few pet peeve bingo boxes with that one.
Old 11-10-22, 07:31 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
@Robvolz, no real harm done, imo. I cracked a beer to your mojito. Cheers.

I just bristle a little bit at the romanticizing of a lot of this stuff. Metal work is hard, dirty, and dangerous. I did it for years - sheet metal fab, wire fab, high-volume welding. I appreciate high skill as much as anybody, but I understand exactly why when a machine is chosen over hand forming. And the complaint threads would cue like clockwork if people had to pay for that when they wanted some fenders.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 11-10-22, 07:39 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I see all these expensive fenders rocking the hammered look.

Back in the 30s, during the industrial age, companies would put a machine stamped shell over an item and announce that its better than the previous model. Picture the sunbeam toaster as seen in every pop tart and Eggo Waffles ad, the sunbeam T-9, who's logo on the side represents a sail, the 1939 NY world's fair logo, "Sailing into the FUTURE"

The previous toasters were just as effective and toasting bread. But the marketing departments had a heyday convincing everyone that streamline and machine made was better.

The craftspeople said," this is Bull schitt". and as a way to differentiate themselves and their product was to hand-hammer so you knew the product, whether it be a bowl, a light fixture or fenders were hand crafted by people, not machines.

Now, a stamping machine creates the HH look. And no one seems to care what it represented at one time.

Rant over.

Don't get me started on the HH look but actual plastic. GRRRRRRR
Do you need to go to confessional?
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-10-22, 07:52 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
I've got hammered on a couple bikes, and faceted on my main ride PX-10. I prefer the look of the faceted (and the 'plain'), but the hammered age better- they hide the inevitable scratches and little dents better.
Old 11-10-22, 07:53 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts

Notice the smiling faces. Alright, @rccardr looks a bit grumpy.

Neither the fenders nor the rain/cold made me grumpy. Actually enjoyed the multiple lessons in Rain Fu.
It was...that other thing.
Old 11-10-22, 08:05 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I have feelings about Robvolz .
Likes For fender1:
Old 11-10-22, 08:26 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
+1..another member for my ignore list.

at least Andy Rooney was entertaining..and most often had a point.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 11-10-22, 08:50 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
+1..another member for my ignore list.

at least Andy Rooney was entertaining..and most often had a point.
That's fine, if that's how you want to handle it, but I didn't mean my Andy Rooney comparison as a negative. Some personality types just don't come across as well in text as others. I've never met Rob, which is why I said "I could be wrong," but I think I'm slowly starting to develop a sense for who he is through his posts. He came onto this forum recently and came out swinging for the fences. Some people here didn't receive it well (myself among them, to be honest). If we had known him for years, maybe those posts would have read differently. Some people you never end up liking, but at least you can say to yourself, "Yeah, that's just the way they are."

FWIW, I found the original post here to be an interesting take. For those who didn't, here's a picture of my bike with snakeskin aluminum fenders.

Old 11-10-22, 09:27 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
That's fine, if that's how you want to handle it, but I didn't mean my Andy Rooney comparison as a negative. Some personality types just don't come across as well in text as others. I've never met Rob, which is why I said "I could be wrong," but I think I'm slowly starting to develop a sense for who he is through his posts. He came onto this forum recently and came out swinging for the fences. Some people here didn't receive it well (myself among them, to be honest). If we had known him for years, maybe those posts would have read differently. Some people you never end up liking, but at least you can say to yourself, "Yeah, that's just the way they are."

FWIW, I found the original post here to be an interesting take. For those who didn't, here's a picture of my bike with snakeskin aluminum fenders.

That is a cool bike. I have a 1980 Moto that I want to set up for my touring bike. It will be my first bike with fenders . After initially setting up the bike with Camp. NR set up and riding it , I have decided it needs a more "touring" type set up. Thanks for the inspiration. For me, the OP is opinionated and that's fine , I try to ignore my initial response sometimes when I read some posts. You are right , he just recently became involved on BF and has contributed a lot , some I agree with and some ......
Old 11-10-22, 09:30 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr

Notice the smiling faces. Alright, @rccardr looks a bit grumpy.

Neither the fenders nor the rain/cold made me grumpy. Actually enjoyed the multiple lessons in Rain Fu.
It was...that other thing.
Great shot , Doc! I wish I could've been there....except for the whole rain thing! Ha haOh , and not grumpy , just focused!
Old 11-10-22, 09:48 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
The benefit of the hammered look (even if it's machined) is the dents and scratches don't show as much as on a polished surface.

I have my eyes out for one of these '30s Olds trumpets, where the bells are actually hand hammered.

Olds Military Trumpet via Robb Stewart
Old 11-10-22, 10:04 AM
tombc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
Design school did a good job making me feel strongly about things that don't really matter that much. You get personally offended by bad typography and things that are designed by committee or whatever, but it wears off and you realize Comic Sans is legible enough for a quick memo and life goes on.
Likes For tombc:
Old 11-10-22, 10:15 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts

I love those fenders. If my Kona ever needs the fenders replaced, I would consider replacing with those like yours.
Old 11-10-22, 10:15 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts

By the length of your reply, you appear to have a much larger investment in rob.. I don't. I don't have much patience for drama queens and repeating 'rants'. There's an infinite number of things to rant about in this world. I choose not to spend my time there or with people who choose to. My choice I guess.
Old 11-10-22, 10:17 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,393 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by tombc
Design school did a good job making me feel strongly about things that don't really matter that much. You get personally offended by bad typography and things that are designed by committee or whatever, but it wears off and you realize Comic Sans is legible enough for a quick memo and life goes on.
Some fonts should never be changed.

Drillium Dude

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-10-22, 10:17 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by tombc
We all decide the person we want to be. We cannot blame design school, parents, job(s), spouse(s), or the government. Carry on!!
Old 11-10-22, 10:37 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26413 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
I can't believe it hasn't been linked yet, so here:

Old 11-10-22, 10:48 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
I personally studied Industrial Design (non-credited courses, on-line) through RISD during covid where I learned much about history, trends and technology.
Hmmmmmm.....

I was also trained as an industrial designer, but not as swanky as RISD. So my question is this, is my perception of RISD design history as swanky wrong, or were you a poor student? You are correct there was a movement, the arts & crafts movement, was a reaction to the industrial revolution. But it began in 1860, not 1930. That was called streamline.
Likes For iab:
Old 11-10-22, 11:08 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I have feelings about fenders, period.
In that case, you better check out some of the lube threads. Might come in handy.
Likes For seypat:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.