Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 shifter/derailleur review

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 shifter/derailleur review

Old 08-26-21, 04:33 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Thought I’d add my thoughts on this groupset with my drop bar MTB build:

Pros - Cost, levers work well with cable to hydro calipers, shifting is good for the price, no chain drops.

Cons - Tensioner isn’t enough to stop chain slaps, shifters have the worst features of both SRAM and Shimano (limited up shifts and shifter combined w. brake lever leads to accidental shifts), small gripe but the left lever should be made to run a dropper.

Totally not the use case for this groupset but oh well 😂

Likes For DarKris:
Old 08-27-21, 04:53 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris
shifters have the worst features of both SRAM and Shimano (limited up shifts and shifter combined w. brake lever leads to accidental shifts),
Agreed. Having the brake lever act as a shifter is a horrible idea, but I guess they had to avoid some SRAM patents.

After over a year and several thousand miles, the shift lockout function no longer works at all. The shifting is still working fine and I haven't had to adjust it at all in over a year. For riding smooth gravel roads, the system works fine. I like to ride singletrack on my gravel bike and the unintentional shifts on bumpy trails is quite annoying.
Old 08-27-21, 05:33 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Is it doubletap with the brake lever doing the shifting? You would think that SRAM would have thought to put that in the claims of one of their patents
Old 08-28-21, 03:12 AM
dsaul

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Is it doubletap with the brake lever doing the shifting? You would think that SRAM would have thought to put that in the claims of one of their patents
Yes. It is exactly like "double tap" with the brake lever doing the shifting. Apparently Sensah was started by some former SRAM engineers, Shimano gets away with using the lever for downshifts, because it takes a long push to activate a shift. With the "double tap" shifting, a short click from hitting a bump is all it takes to upshift by accident. I prefer the action of my Microshift shifters with a button for upshifts, and a short lever for downshifts and the brake lever only does braking.
Old 09-25-22, 12:37 PM
cherokeeronin

Bikes: SGM Charles Jerry 26er

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been eyeing this group set for a while. Since you mentioned that the Cable Adjuster on the RD itself doesn't stay in place, the fix I thought for this one is just add an In-Line Barrel Adjuster midway from where the cable starts to stretch out from the stem and to the frame itself. So in this scenario, you can adjust it there without having to worry about the barrel adjuster from the RD.

This is just in Theory though. But yeah I figured it would be a problem if you went off road and into a bumpy ride, even though you have a barrel adjuster along the way where it won't move or cause you problems, the barrel adjuster on the RD would just go over the place and ruin the tension. So the plan of adding notches to the RD where the barrel adjuster is in place is the best idea to keep it in place.

Just a note though, since you were able to remove the barrel adjuster from the RD and dremel some notches, then technically it's possible to just not have that stock barrel adjuster on the RD, and have an In-Line Barrel Adjuster so everything is more stable without having to worry about losing tension and adjustment.

What do you think my friend?
Old 09-26-22, 04:30 AM
dsaul

Originally Posted by cherokeeronin
I've been eyeing this group set for a while. Since you mentioned that the Cable Adjuster on the RD itself doesn't stay in place, the fix I thought for this one is just add an In-Line Barrel Adjuster midway from where the cable starts to stretch out from the stem and to the frame itself. So in this scenario, you can adjust it there without having to worry about the barrel adjuster from the RD.

This is just in Theory though. But yeah I figured it would be a problem if you went off road and into a bumpy ride, even though you have a barrel adjuster along the way where it won't move or cause you problems, the barrel adjuster on the RD would just go over the place and ruin the tension. So the plan of adding notches to the RD where the barrel adjuster is in place is the best idea to keep it in place.

Just a note though, since you were able to remove the barrel adjuster from the RD and dremel some notches, then technically it's possible to just not have that stock barrel adjuster on the RD, and have an In-Line Barrel Adjuster so everything is more stable without having to worry about losing tension and adjustment.

What do you think my friend?
You could put some Loctite thread locker on the barrel adjuster and screw it all the way in, so it doesn't move. Then you could use an inline adjuster to make cable adjustments.
Old 09-28-22, 07:16 AM
cherokeeronin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
You could put some Loctite thread locker on the barrel adjuster and screw it all the way in, so it doesn't move. Then you could use an inline adjuster to make cable adjustments.
Hmm can't you just for example remove the barrel adjuster completely and go straight with the cable stop > to the RD? Instead of Cable Stop > Barrel Adjuster (that's been screwed in) > and then RD?
Old 09-28-22, 08:03 AM
dsaul

Hmm can't you just for example remove the barrel adjuster completely and go straight with the cable stop > to the RD? Instead of Cable Stop > Barrel Adjuster (that's been screwed in) > and then RD?
The barrel adjuster is the cable stop. Without it, you just have an M5 sized threaded thru hole in the derailleur.
Old 09-29-22, 09:53 PM
will be was

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 14 Posts
SRX 1X11

Last edited by will be was; 09-29-22 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-30-22, 07:23 AM
cherokeeronin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The barrel adjuster is the cable stop. Without it, you just have an M5 sized threaded thru hole in the derailleur.
If the size is M5, then that means this kind of barrel adjuster can be used as a replacement instead? since the stock one that's on the derailleur moves a lot

This one has an M5 or M6 selection.

https://shopee.ph/RISK-2PCS-Bicycle-...4-6d0a156df470
Old 09-30-22, 08:08 AM
dsaul

If the size is M5, then that means this kind of barrel adjuster can be used as a replacement instead? since the stock one that's on the derailleur moves a lot

This one has an M5 or M6 selection.

https://shopee.ph/RISK-2PCS-Bicycle-...4-6d0a156df470
That is essentially the same adjuster that comes with the derailleur. Just tighten the thing all the way down and use an inline adjuster. It won't be a problem. The only problem is that it screws itself in when you hit bumps, because there is nothing to prevent it from turning. It won't screw itself out, because the cable tension will prevent that.
Old 10-19-22, 10:18 PM
hankamania

Bikes: Peugeot PX10, Miyata 712, Surly LHT, Schwinn Peloton, Guerciotti Aelle, Schwinn SuperSport, Peugeot Orient Express, GT Avalanche, Motobecane Nemesis, Trek 330, no-name Chinese carbon bike, and a Soma Fog Cutter V2..

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by will be was
SRX 1X11

I've got that same ZRace RX crank... I'd heard the included BB wasn't great so I used a SRAM Dub BB instead. That's in addition to the same SRX group. I'm liking both.
Old 10-23-22, 09:28 PM
will be was

Originally Posted by hankamania
I've got that same ZRace RX crank... I'd heard the included BB wasn't great so I used a SRAM Dub BB instead. That's in addition to the same SRX group. I'm liking both.
No problem with the ZRace RX crank using the original BB came with it. Matter of fact we used all the parts that came with Sensah SRX shifters and crank. My only concern was the chain-line, but it all fit fine.
Old 10-23-22, 09:46 PM
will be was

No problem with the ZRace RX crank, using the original BB came with it. Matter of fact we used all the parts that came with Sensah SRX shifters and crank. My only concern was the chain-line, but it all fit fine
.Also using RaceWork SPD pedals

Sensah SRX rear derailleur

Old 10-24-22, 04:20 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
They are designed for use with road brakes, so I would not expect them to work well with normal V-brakes that require a longer cable pull. They would work fine with a short pull V-brake like the Tektro Mini-V's.
You can fit a traveller to allow short pull lever to work with long pull v brakes.
Old 10-24-22, 01:12 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 860 Times in 414 Posts
I've been riding this group this year, no real issues. I did change the RD jockey gears to some with better bearings. I also mounted a chain guide at the crank since it makes me feel better.

Likes For daverup:
Old 11-02-22, 03:05 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Wish I had sourced a 160mm disc but very satisfied otherwise. I especially like the shifting and have build up two road setup after the gravel/cyclocross below, replacing my old Shimano 6800 on the trainer setup and a new open mold climber.

Likes For kcjc:
Old 11-08-22, 12:11 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,039 Times in 440 Posts
I was thinking there should be a thread dedicated to Chinese gravel groupsets. For example the L-Twoo GR9 gravel groupset for gravel is Shimano compatible, so you can mix-n-match. I'm currently building out an 1x gravel/road bike using GRX rd/crankset with Sensah Team Pro shifters, but I'm thinking I could have also gone with the L-Twoo GR9 gravel shifters which would have worked with my GRX rear derailleur. Also L-Twoo has a hydraulic 12 speed groupset coming out soon for road and gravel.

I find these alternative groupsets to be good value for the money and cross compatibility between either Shimano and Sensah allows you to mix in different components.
Old 11-09-22, 04:18 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Sensah has separate lines for SRAM and Shimano compatibility. SRX pro is the only 1x and SRAM. Beside the obvious shifting problem, braking could be one also or at least a nuisance.
Old 11-11-22, 12:28 PM
jonathanf2

Quick question, for those running SRX shifters are you able to perfectly click index each shift without applying force double clicking into the next gear? On my Sensah Team Pro shifters (which I believe I have properly indexed) I have to apply slightly more force/friction on the 3rd and 4th small cogs to go into gear. The rest of the gears click shift properly without applied pressure. With my Shimano shifters all it takes is a click to jump to the next gear without applied pressure throughout the cassette. I've also tried minimizing issues using a brand new RD hanger and even switched to Shimano OEM 1.2mm shift cables to give the shifters more pull. I just want to know if the non-Shimano compatible shifters work better? Thanks!
Old 11-11-22, 03:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Based purely on appearance, the Sensah shifters dont look bad. The derailleurs though?...those things look like cheap copy junk. And the RD looks massive- like both bulky and long. Maybe its camera angle in every picture?
Since the shifters are whats exensive in a group, maybe Sensah shifters and Shimano derailleurs would be a good mix.

I do wish Microshift were allowed by Shimano to hide the shift cable. Their stuff has been shown to be solid overall quality.
Old 11-12-22, 05:16 AM
dsaul

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Quick question, for those running SRX shifters are you able to perfectly click index each shift without applying force double clicking into the next gear? On my Sensah Team Pro shifters (which I believe I have properly indexed) I have to apply slightly more force/friction on the 3rd and 4th small cogs to go into gear. The rest of the gears click shift properly without applied pressure. With my Shimano shifters all it takes is a click to jump to the next gear without applied pressure throughout the cassette. I've also tried minimizing issues using a brand new RD hanger and even switched to Shimano OEM 1.2mm shift cables to give the shifters more pull. I just want to know if the non-Shimano compatible shifters work better? Thanks!
Mine shift reliably every time and with very little effort. There is no need to hold pressure on the lever to make it shift. If it clicks, it shifts. My only issue with the shifter is that the lock out function for braking no longer works at all, so I get unintentional upshifts when braking on rocky/rooty terrain.
Old 11-12-22, 09:10 AM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Based purely on appearance, the Sensah shifters dont look bad. The derailleurs though?...those things look like cheap copy junk. And the RD looks massive- like both bulky and long. Maybe its camera angle in every picture?
Since the shifters are whats exensive in a group, maybe Sensah shifters and Shimano derailleurs would be a good mix.

I do wish Microshift were allowed by Shimano to hide the shift cable. Their stuff has been shown to be solid overall quality.

That's what I'm trying to attempt right now, though I'm still waiting on some brake calipers to test out my bike build that mixes Sensah Team Pro shifters (Shimano compatible) with my GRX rd and crankset. Also the brand to keep an eye on is L-Twoo. They were like the more budget option of Sensah, but they're stepping it up. They just announced hydraulic brake 12 speed groupsets for gravel and road. Also they setup shop in the US with domestic distribution/support/warranty. My buddy ordered shifters from the LTwoo website and shipped from Des Moines, Iowa. Their road/gravel derailleurs and shifters are Shimano compatible as well.

https://ltwoo.bike/

Though in the meantime, I ordered the LTwoo gravel GR9 shifters and RD for pretty cheap on AliExpress. This seller is pretty good, they sent photos of the items and the shipping label right before sending it off:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803308490756.html

The GR9 shifters are 1x only and come in at 400g. The GR9 RD looks kinda cheap, but it takes an 11-50t cassette so I plan to test it out so I don't have to mess around with derailleur extenders on my GRX setup. I'm also going to compare the Sensah Team Pro shifters to the Ltwoo GR9 shifters using my GRX RD.
Old 11-12-22, 10:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Also they setup shop in the US with domestic distribution/support/warranty. My buddy ordered shifters from the LTwoo website and shipped from Des Moines, Iowa. Their road/gravel derailleurs and shifters are Shimano compatible as well.
Ha, I just saw that the US distributor is NAcycles out of Ames. What a POS company they are. NA is owned by Cycle Force Group, they really are just 1 and the same, and they flood the US with a bunch of absolute junk quality bikes. They have been near bankrupt a few times in the last decade and couldnt get credit extended multiple times. They are now owned by some German company as a 'strategic' opportunity. Basically, they distribute a bunch of junk brands and a couple good brands and can't compete.