Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Paint prep question

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Paint prep question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-22, 08:17 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Paint prep question

My wife's touring bike is due for a fresh paint job. As I prep the frame,stripper and sandblasting, what about the oils and grease in the ST and BB? What is the best way to eliminate them?
Thanks!
Old 11-27-22, 10:07 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Tom- Did you apply a rust inhibitor (FrameSaver) inside the tubes too? If not than I would just use a solvent first, maybe kerosene or a SafetyKleen shop tank. Any chemical paint removal should be done before blasting, and its residue removed too. Next would be a water and dish soap cleaning. A THOROUGH drying needs to be done before any blasting. I find that heating up the frame will quicken the internal moisture/oil evaporation. I've used an industrial heat gun and an open oven, heard of others who just light up the torch and "go lightly". What you don't want to happen, after the blasting, is to see the internal moisture/oil weeping out at vent holes or the ends of the tubes. So if there's stuff inside the tubes you need to try getting it out (and this is the best reason to have two vents in each tube).

Paint stripping and prep for the redo is messy and time consuming work. Have spent time with Doug Fattic I know that you know the value of a good paint job. And that starts with good prep. At one time Cleveland had a few furniture refinishers that used huge dipping tanks to strip with, and had done bike frames too. When I had my shop (on Coventry Rd) I heard of some guy out in Chardon who chemically stripped stuff (for industrial maintenance IIRC) but never was able to find him. These days with the regulations on nasty chemicals strippers are fewer and farther between. Thankfully we don't do this for pay. Andy
Old 11-27-22, 01:56 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

I did use Frame Saver. So suppose I could "flush" the interiors out with a solvent?
Old 11-28-22, 01:46 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
the term sand blasting makes me nervous, assuming a more bike frame media is being used

Old 11-29-22, 06:09 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
A generous application of Brake Kleen spray will flush out any grease from the inside of the frame. Frame saver should be solidified and not be a problem unless you are heating it, as in powder coating. My powder coater has a strip tank that he puts frames in and that seems to remove everything from inside and outside of the frames.
Old 11-29-22, 07:49 AM
Tandem Tom

Thanks. Since I am not "heating " it it appears that it is not something I need to worry about.