Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

559mm rim-tire compatibility

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-22, 04:46 PM
PTbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

According to https://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width, my 559-21 rim can have a 44-559 tire (up to 50-559). However, another website says that my rim can only fit 47/54-559 tires.

Is it safe to use a 44mm wide tire on a 21mm wide mountain bike rim?

Source: sheldonbrown.com

Source: https://www.wtb.com/pages/tire-rim-fit-chart
Old 11-28-22, 05:29 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,887 Times in 844 Posts
I have Velocity Dyad 26's which are 18.6mm inner width 24mm outer and have many miles with 37mm and 41 mm panaracers and also 53mm (RH rat trap pass 26x2.3) tires and all do great. also run those same tires on a some mavic 231 and 217's with no issues either.
Old 11-28-22, 05:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
There's plenty of latitude in rim/tire width ratios. The published guidelines are just that "guidelines" and can safely be taken with a grain (or more) of salt.

It's a question of purpose and desired benefits vs.performance. Generally overly wide tires have a greater tendency to flex sideways (wallow) when cornering, and increased risk of "snake bike" flats, especially at low pressures. OTOH- narrower tires tend to offer harsher rides and possibly lower traction at higher pressures.

So, think about what you're trying to achieve, then be ready to fine tune inflation pressure to maximize the benefits while minimizing drawbacks.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-28-22, 05:34 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6185 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Sheldon's recommendations are only generalizations that you can use when you have no better information. Just guidance only and not regulations that you must follow or else you die.

The other page you linked seems to be from someone that is selling a specific brand of tire. You might should go by their recommendation if you are using their tire. However you might get away with going outside theirs or even Sheldon's recommendations if you aren't putting your tires through H E double toothpicks every time you ride.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-28-22 at 05:37 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-28-22, 06:13 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
I'm more conservative then Sheldon and I wouldn't have any problem.
I presume you mean inner width? That's usually "about" 5-6mm less than outer.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 11-29-22, 07:35 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 463 Posts
Originally Posted by PTbiker
According to https://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width, my 559-21 rim can have a 44-559 tire (up to 50-559). However, another website says that my rim can only fit 47/54-559 tires.

Is it safe to use a 44mm wide tire on a 21mm wide mountain bike rim?

Source: sheldonbrown.com

Source: https://www.wtb.com/pages/tire-rim-fit-chart
I think you're misreading the WTB chart. And you didn't include both WTB charts - they have a different chart for urban/hybrid/cyclocross/gravel/road plus/adventure tires.

There's considerable overlap between these two WTB charts.

Per the WTB site, the solid black blocks on the WTB charts are recommended for "optimal performance". Those with dots are "compatible". Only those that are solid light grey are "not recommended" by WTB.

After looking at both WTB charts, it appears that WTB considers anything between 30mm and 54mm tires to provide "optimal performance" with a 21mm interior width rim and that WTB considers 28mm and 55mm to 65mm tires to be "compatible" with a 21mm interior width rim. This agrees fairly well with the late Sheldon Brown's info (Brown's is more conservative); the two sources are fairly consistent.

In both cases, a 44mm tire appears to be considered perfectly acceptable for a 21mm interior width rim.

Last edited by Hondo6; 11-29-22 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Clarification.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 11-29-22, 09:21 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
There's plenty of latitude in rim/tire width ratios. The published guidelines are just that "guidelines" and can safely be taken with a grain (or more) of salt.
More like a truckload of salt. My mountain bikes are using Mavic XC717 rims that have a 17mm internal width. I use 50 to 55 mm tires on those rims without issue and have regularly for more than 20 years. On my touring bike I have Velocity Deep V which have a 13mm internal width on which I use 35 to 38mm tires. Again, no issues.

The “guidelines” aren’t!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-29-22, 01:00 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
A lot of the Mavic MTB UST rims have 17-19mm internal widths. If you go by WTB's guideline, you pretty much can't run any MTB tires on these MTB specific rims.
Old 11-29-22, 04:36 PM
PTbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
I think you're misreading the WTB chart. And you didn't include both WTB charts - they have a different chart for urban/hybrid/cyclocross/gravel/road plus/adventure tires.

There's considerable overlap between these two WTB charts.

Per the WTB site, the solid black blocks on the WTB charts are recommended for "optimal performance". Those with dots are "compatible". Only those that are solid light grey are "not recommended" by WTB.

After looking at both WTB charts, it appears that WTB considers anything between 30mm and 54mm tires to provide "optimal performance" with a 21mm interior width rim and that WTB considers 28mm and 55mm to 65mm tires to be "compatible" with a 21mm interior width rim. This agrees fairly well with the late Sheldon Brown's info (Brown's is more conservative); the two sources are fairly consistent.

In both cases, a 44mm tire appears to be considered perfectly acceptable for a 21mm interior width rim.
The problem is that I thought I had an "MTB only rim" (since it's from a mountain bike), but what matters is where I ride. So, in conclusion, I can use 30 to 50mm tires, as I've been riding on road only. If I use my bike for MTB, I should use at least a 47mm tire to protect the rim, right?

One more chart:

Source: https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifenmasse

Last edited by PTbiker; 11-29-22 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-29-22, 06:49 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 463 Posts
The problem is that I thought I had an "MTB only rim" (since it's from a mountain bike), but what matters is where I ride. So, in conclusion, I can use 30 to 50mm tires, as I've been riding on road only. If I use my bike for MTB, I should use at least a 47mm tire to protect the rim, right?

One more chart:

I'm road only when it comes to riding, so I'll defer to those with MTB experience. But since I understand that gravel, cyclocross, and adventure riding often involves riding conditions somewhat similar to less arduous mountain trail riding, I'd guess you'd be OK with somewhat smaller tires than 47mm.

How much smaller? Dunno. Maybe someone with more expertise in the relevant riding discipline(s) can give an informed answer based on experience?
Old 11-29-22, 07:30 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2736 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Ive ridden with 2.5 inch mountain bike tires on 21mm internal width rims AND on 17mm internal rims.
Ive also ridden and toured with a fairly hefty load on some long trips using the same 17mm internal width rims with 2in slick tires, and at the proper pressure, this combination was rock solid. At lower pressures over super rough roads or loose surfaces, the bike handled fine, and at higher pressures (we're talking 42 psi front, 45 psi rear) my loaded touring bike handled extremely well cornering rather fast. I had four panniers, a rackpack on top of the rear panniers and a handlebar bag, and I was carrying a minimum of 45lbs, often more with more water, food etc.
Old 11-29-22, 08:59 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
More like a truckload of salt. My mountain bikes are using Mavic XC717 rims that have a 17mm internal width. I use 50 to 55 mm tires on those rims without issue and have regularly for more than 20 years. On my touring bike I have Velocity Deep V which have a 13mm internal width on which I use 35 to 38mm tires. Again, no issues.

The “guidelines” aren’t!
^^^This.^^^ Those ratings are very conservative. Nobody will die a fiery death if you go outside that range by a few mm here and there. I too used to have 17mm rims on my mountain bike with 55mm tires. At the other end, riders now run 21mm rims with 25mm tires on their road bikes.

DT Swiss has a chart on their website that is a better guideline.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-30-22, 09:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6185 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
If you are looking for the utmost in safety. And if you are going to go by recommendations, then go by the recommendation of the tire manufacturer for the tire you are looking at. And if they also specify a specific model of rim then use that too. To go by any others recommendation would seem silly if utmost safety is your concern.

However, many of us would just put the size tire we wish to use on the rim and see if it works for us. If it does it does, if it don't, then we change to something else.

And unless you are riding your bike like they do in the x-games or some of those wild BMX races, then you probably won't be pushing the limits with any thing.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-30-22 at 09:27 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-06-22, 01:27 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

The “guidelines” aren’t!
^ This.

Bike tires are bias ply. Bias ply tires can get away with pretty extreme differences in rim widths.

If you were taking corners downhill at 50mph it might matter.
Old 12-06-22, 01:35 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts

One more chart:

If the worst you’re doing is gravel or fire road type of dirt roads I bet you can get away with 35mm. If you’re doing something where you know the tire will hit a sharp hard edge like a boulder or tree root then bigger tires can help.
Old 12-06-22, 09:14 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 329 Posts
Tyres don't protect rims, it's air that protects rims (unless you're using a rim insert). You get better control on loose surfaces by running at lower pressure so you need a wider tyre to compensate for that lower pressure. You need the same support from the tyre whether it's narrow and hard or wide and soft: tyre pressure * tyre contact area = force keeping the rim off the floor.
Old 12-06-22, 10:56 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
Tyres don't protect rims, it's air that protects rims (unless you're using a rim insert). You get better control on loose surfaces by running at lower pressure so you need a wider tyre to compensate for that lower pressure. You need the same support from the tyre whether it's narrow and hard or wide and soft: tyre pressure * tyre contact area = force keeping the rim off the floor.
135 years later, Mr. Dunlop's invention still lives!
Old 12-06-22, 01:27 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm! an opportunity for thought.

Tyres don't protect rims, it's air that protects rims .....
Interesting, so which is it? and how? Think about that and sort it out in your own head

You get better control on loose surfaces by running at lower pressure so you need a wider tyre to compensate for that lower pressure. ......
Kind of chicken and egg here. Does gravel call for lower pressure? Why? Or do we need wider tires to "float" rather than furrowing on dirt, gravel, or sand? and the lower pressure follows form that change?

I offer both questions not to correct Grumpus, and actually thank him for setting this post up for me. My intent is to get people to think about how systems work on systems rather than individual elements within those systems.

IMO - engineering is like impressionist art. You have to step back and look at the big picture to appreciate the beauty.

PLEASE do not post answers to the questions above. My intent is to stimulate thought and thereby improve resistance to dogma.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-06-22 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-06-22, 08:16 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
You should always research until you find an expert or recommendation you agree with. Plenty of room for that in tire-rim compatibility charts.
Likes For Camilo: