Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do tires (tubeless) not hold air as well as they age?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-22, 10:18 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

Just curious - I recently swapped in some used tires I had that still had some life left in the tread on my gravel bike. Same rims the tires were originally on. I'm used to tubeless tires going through phases where they seem to fluctuate in how well they maintain pressure when new (at least this has been my experience) as the sealant does its thing, but these tires just aren't settling back in and stabilizing. I've gone over them and I don't think there's any leaks at the valve stems, and the bead is seated all the way round. I don't see sealant coming out anywhere. I've put in a double dose of sealant too. Could it be that older rubber gets more porous as it's more dried out? These have been sitting in a hot garage for the better part of a year.

Last edited by pbass; 08-22-22 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-22-22, 11:30 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Here's an example of internet speculation at its best:

I'd expect that your sealant would fix any cracks or holes in the tire. So why isn't it working? Perhaps you've still got dried sealant from the original use on the tire that's being compressed against the sidewall enough to keep the new sealant from plugging any leak, but still allowing the smaller gas molecules to diffuse around the "plaques" and escape.

Either that, or you've forgotten how much these tires leaked when you decided to replace them.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-22-22, 11:47 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Here's an example of internet speculation at its best:

I'd expect that your sealant would fix any cracks or holes in the tire. So why isn't it working? Perhaps you've still got dried sealant from the original use on the tire that's being compressed against the sidewall enough to keep the new sealant from plugging any leak, but still allowing the smaller gas molecules to diffuse around the "plaques" and escape.

Either that, or you've forgotten how much these tires leaked when you decided to replace them.
Hmmm, you're probably spot on with one of these speculations, or perhaps it's both! My memory sure isn't all that these days....
Old 08-23-22, 10:36 AM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
My 25mm tubeless road tires loose about 5-7 psi in 2 days originally pump to 80-85 psi. Both front and rear loose about the same amount with no evidence of sealant escaping.
Old 08-23-22, 01:00 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Lose (verb): To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; mislay.

Loose (adj): Not fastened, restrained, or contained.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 08-24-22, 09:42 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Just curious - I recently swapped in some used tires I had that still had some life left in the tread on my gravel bike. Same rims the tires were originally on. I'm used to tubeless tires going through phases where they seem to fluctuate in how well they maintain pressure when new (at least this has been my experience) as the sealant does its thing, but these tires just aren't settling back in and stabilizing. I've gone over them and I don't think there's any leaks at the valve stems, and the bead is seated all the way round. I don't see sealant coming out anywhere. I've put in a double dose of sealant too. Could it be that older rubber gets more porous as it's more dried out? These have been sitting in a hot garage for the better part of a year.
Dunk the wheels in a tub of water or use something like Snoop to figure out where the air is leaking out. THEN decide what to do. As of now you don't know the mechanism of air loss so you don't know what to do.
Old 08-24-22, 09:53 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
How is your tubeless tape job? You made no mention of this important detail in your initial query.
Old 08-24-22, 12:03 PM
yannisg

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Lose (verb): To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; mislay.

Loose (adj): Not fastened, restrained, or contained.
Thanks for the clarification
Likes For yannisg:
Old 08-27-22, 10:53 AM
brooklyn_bike

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 36 Posts
i've heard and read this to be a problem with tubeless. the handful of my friends who have at least one bike tubeless wheelset have discussed the pros and cons. one con being : if they have to remove the tire for some reason - they can't get the tire to seal again well enough and end up tossing the tire and having to buy a new one . seems like one of the bigger potential downside to tubeless
Old 11-17-23, 10:52 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Although your post is more than a year old, what was your final resolution? Or what did you eventually do? I have this same problem and don't want to throw out two gravel tires that the TWI show lots of tread left. My current best next step is to just install tubes.
Likes For rbrides:
Old 11-17-23, 02:06 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by rbrides
Although your post is more than a year old, what was your final resolution? Or what did you eventually do? I have this same problem and don't want to throw out two gravel tires that the TWI show lots of tread left. My current best next step is to just install tubes.
I eventually gave up and got new tires, which was fine as I was ready to try something different, and luckily landed on something I far prefer to the old ones.
Likes For pbass: