Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic rim brake recommendations?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-22, 03:10 AM
BikeGuy2

Bikes: 1. Trek fuel ex 8 GX 2022 ML. | 2. 1995 Green Trek Mountain Track 850. | 3. Avanti Pisca pro-Track bike. | 4. Some 10 year old upgraded BMX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would like some hydraulic rim brakes for my old 1995 Trek Mountain Track 850. Something that would be good for wheelies, and generally better braking power. All i have found is the Magura hydraulic rim brakes. They are expensive! I like the look of the HS33 but alas... very expensive. I'm not a fan of the lower Magura models because to the brake lever. i'm looking for front and rear. Any good suggestions? My budget is around $200 AUD.
Old 10-25-22, 05:54 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 367 Posts
Can’t help you with a hydraulic rim brake suggestion other than Magura, but some good quality linear pull (V-) brakes and levers should give you all the stopping power you need, even for wheelies. Good pads and cable setup are also important to consider.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 10-25-22, 06:39 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Magura is the only game in town for hydraulic rim brakes that I am aware of.
A set of higher end Shimano, Avid or Tektro linear pull brakes will perform very well at a fraction of the price.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 10-25-22, 08:06 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Yeah, Magura' s pretty much the only game in town.
The HS33 is the only one that got the radial master cylinder, the others all have the old-style lever.

​​​​​​On a budget? Maybe watch ebay for a used set?
Hydro rim brakes are a pretty low -demand item, so you may be on a bit of a unicorn hunt
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 10-25-22, 11:42 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Magura is the way to go for Hydraulic rim brakes. I don't think anyone else is making them these days and they weren't super popular outside of Magura. Keep in mind you will want a very good rim that will handle a brake like that. Old worn out rims or thin lightweight stuff ain't gonna cut it. They called them "rim crushers" for a reason. If I was doing hydro rims HS33 all the way.

What I would do personally is get a set of Kool Stop or Swiss Stop Linear Pull brake pads and some good stiff shoes to put those pads in (which you would get with KS or SS listed) then I would put on new cables and housing such as the Jagwire Elite Link kit or Pro Polished kit and if I wanted to upgrade levers and calipers I would do AVID Speed Dial 7s and Shimano XT BR-T780s (if you can find them, Deore V-brakes if not) or I would upgrade all the way to Paul MotoLites or I guess for a little more premium than the Shimano but not as nice as the Pauls, the Box One V-Brake is pretty nice and comes in some anodized colors.

Keep in mind the value of the bike, if it has a lot of sentimental value it might be worth the parts upgrades but if not it was a lower end bike back in the day from what I recall.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-25-22, 11:54 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
I had Magura once, about 15 years ago. Hopefully they have improved since then. I would not recommend them. A high quality conventional dual pivot rim brake is quite a bit better.

Hydraulic disc brakes are a vast improvement. It is as good a reason as any to upgrade the bike.
Old 10-25-22, 11:58 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeGuy2
I would like some hydraulic rim brakes for my old 1995 Trek Mountain Track 850. Something that would be good for wheelies,
I'll admit that I haven't been into popping wheelies since I was about twelve years old, but I'm not really sure how hydraulic brakes would help with that.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-25-22, 11:59 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I had Magura's a long time ago. They were immensely powerful stoppers, but eventually developed fluid leaks that I could not fix. It was impressive watching the rear brake clamping on the rear rim and bending the frame stays outwards. I had to install a 'brake booster' to limit this. As indicated above, you'll need strong rims. I later installed XTR V-brakes that were really good, or good enough for me not to need discs.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 10-25-22, 12:07 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'll admit that I haven't been into popping wheelies since I was about twelve years old, but I'm not really sure how hydraulic brakes would help with that.

I seriously stopped for a second and thought 'have I been doing it incorrectly this whole time?'.
...but then that second was over.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-26-22, 04:37 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Cobbling together a used set of HS33s isn't that expensive. If you want to see expensive, look out for HS66s. I rode a set of HS33s from 1996 - 2013. Took that bike around the world twice (on an aircraft carrier) and rode it in nearly every port we stopped in. They are getting long in the tooth these days, but they are still the best brakes I've ever used, in my opinion.