Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tannus tyre on a rear wheel of a Brompton

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 11-03-22, 10:45 PM
tudorowen1

Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Has anyone had experience of fitting a Tannus tyre on the rear wheel of a Brompton ?
Likes For tudorowen1:
Old 11-12-22, 07:11 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tudorowen1
Has anyone had experience of fitting a Tannus tyre on the rear wheel of a Brompton ?
I've put them on 20" (406) wheels. It was hard but it was doable.

(for what it's worth, I found the rolling resistance to be too high and went back to regular tires.)
Likes For cplager:
Old 11-12-22, 07:59 PM
tudorowen1

Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for your reply..
Likes For tudorowen1:
Old 11-14-22, 02:33 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
I've put them on 20" (406) wheels. It was hard but it was doable.

(for what it's worth, I found the rolling resistance to be too high and went back to regular tires.)
Yes, that's was I heard, difficult to fit, high rolling resistance, hard like a 80psi tyre...

And, the inserts are the same. I could not fit the insert and tyre on the rim... no way I could have fitted a slim inner tube.
Old 11-14-22, 08:06 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
So what about the brakes? Brompton lacks brake cable releases, so to take a tire off you have the choice of either unscrewing the bolt that secures the cable or deflating the tire. Getting the cable back to the optimal tension is a major pain, but with Tannus you are not going to have a choice, just counting on the fewer instances when you need to take the wheel off. However, with tires equipped with a puncture resistant layer, you hardly ever get the punctures.
Old 11-15-22, 12:09 AM
tudorowen1

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
With a Tannus tyre you have a tyre that never punctures so the problem does not arise..apart from when the trye wears out..
Old 11-15-22, 01:21 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 586 Posts
These tires are said to slide easily on wet surfaces. I had considered them, but realized there's too many negatives with them.
Old 11-15-22, 03:47 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Brompton lacks brake cable releases, so to take a tire off you have the choice of either unscrewing the bolt that secures the cable or deflating the tire.
Don't you have Shimano inline quick release brake cable adjusters on your Brompton for precisely that reason? Or did I read that elsewhere?

Another solution is leaving the tire on, and simply fixing the flat, Dutch-style.
Old 11-15-22, 04:38 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Don't you have Shimano inline quick release brake cable adjusters on your Brompton for precisely that reason? Or did I read that elsewhere?

Another solution is leaving the tire on, and simply fixing the flat, Dutch-style.
Indeed I used to have them for that specific reason. However, in the long run they turned out to too much trouble and I took them off. Specifically, they did not release a lot of cable, 4mm if I remember correctly. With this much release, you either had to struggle a lot to get the tire through or still release some pressure. The releases tended to open spontaneously that you only found out when you pressed the brake and there was none. Finally, they were very heavy.

As to the Dutch style, I tend to avoid it. I anticipate all aspects of the job to be better, at least on the average, when taking the tire fully off. Yes, taking the rear off in Brompton is cumbersome, but i have done it so many times, that I could do it largely automatically when half asleep. Connecting back to the original topic, the puncture cases were relatively few there. The last two might have been changing sprockets and straightening the rear rack after the bike got brutalized in air travel.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 11-15-22, 10:36 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Using Marathon Plus tires, the few "punctures" I had were actually old patches that were no longer airproof → Get good quality patches.
Likes For Winfried:
Old 11-16-22, 12:01 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
These tires are said to slide easily on wet surfaces. I had considered them, but realized there's too many negatives with them.
FWIW, I didn't find this to be a huge problem. And they weren't even that uncomfortable.

But they were so *#$# slow I couldn't take it and took them off.
Likes For cplager:
Old 11-16-22, 03:40 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 364 Posts
Schwalbe is working on a airless tire.
Apparently it's available in the EU but not the USA so far.

No additional information available.

(it's schwalbe so it's probably going to be a better produce