Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter is coming Kreitler Question.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-23-21, 11:39 AM
tflt
Dog bait....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Anyone use the flywheel accessory on their rollers? Is it worth the money, and does it add road feel and momentum as advertised?
Thanks for any info.
Old 07-23-21, 12:47 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I use Krietler and have the killer headwind unit. It works well, offers good resistance and blows wind on you to cool you down
Likes For Fox Farm:
Old 07-23-21, 12:51 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by tflt
Anyone use the flywheel accessory on their rollers? Is it worth the money, and does it add road feel and momentum as advertised?
Thanks for any info.
Yes, maybe, and yes.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 07-23-21, 06:46 PM
tflt
Dog bait....

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Yes, maybe, and yes.
Thanks!
Old 07-23-21, 10:12 PM
RGMN

I actually like having the flywheel, it makes it much easier to be smooth on the rollers, and you can actually coast for a several seconds. It does make it feel more road like than without the flywheel.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 02-01-23, 11:04 PM
RGMN

Follow up on this - this winter I noticed my rollers seemed much harder to ride, and the flywheel didn't seem to provide much momentum. Finally one workout the rollers started to squeal. Started checking the rollers and noticed the flywheel didn't turn very smoothly. Upon inspection I discovered I had a seized bearing, and had it been seized long enough that the shaft was worn oblong. Fearing a very expensive repair I contacted Kreitler/MRP about replacement parts. Spencer quickly replied that the bearings were $4 each and the shaft was $6 so $14 to fix the flywheel. He setup the order and sent me a link, all I had to do was enter my credit card number and shipping address. I had the parts 3 days later, and about 1/2 hr after the parts arrived I had a quiet and smooth set of rollers with a flywheel again. HT to Spencer at MRP for some awesome customer service, and to MRP for having some incredibly inexpensive replacement parts.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 02-02-23, 04:24 AM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I suspect that the flywheel implementation on Kreitler rollers may be different than on my Tru Trainer rollers. Coming from an ancient pair of Performance rollers with turbine resistance the flywheel is quite different. First, it is hard to maintain even power ( watts ) output; it fluctuates quite a bit relative to my old rollers. Seems like the flywheel resistance is much more random. Secondly, it is harder overall. Sufferfest workouts that I could do on the old rollers I can barely do on the new. The coasting thing is nice but the momentum means stopping needs to be done slowly as the drum wants to keep going..,