Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-23, 07:16 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 159 Posts
Couple more hours of zone 2 today. My power in zone is definitely moving up based on RPE and heart rate. Pedal strokes just feeling easier and average speed is creeping up. I am noticing much less fatigue as well from similarly difficult rides. Who’d have guessed consistency pays off lol.

Old 05-16-23, 08:05 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

45’ sweet spot, 45’ zone 2.

Still in the newbie gains phase of rebuilding fitness, every week my power zones increase and endurance improves without much intensity or volume. I’ll probably go for a 20’ test this weekend if I don’t race the last spring MTB race of the season.
Old 05-17-23, 08:21 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

More zone 2 today. Legs feel good, endurance is good, but my body just feels like it's stressed somehow. Wondering if I should ignore it or press on until my performance actually dips.
Old 05-17-23, 08:33 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Took my first ride on the trainer using a rocker plate today. That's going to take some getting used to. Scared to think what it says about what my road form has deteriorated into given that Ihaven't ridded on the road (outside of little JRA with the kids rides) since getting hit 2 years ago tomorrow. Had too much air in it and had the backwards bike lean on all the sprints, but I'm hoping to slowly let the air down in the balls to where I get things going the right way as my balance comes back. I've sure gotten lazy with my bike locked into the trainer.

Likes For himespau:
Old 05-21-23, 04:04 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,551 Times in 727 Posts
Gents, I really enjoyed hanging out here this spring, sharing training ups and downs and getting great common sense advice. Today was the Gran Fondo I was training for and it went great. My goal was finishing/surviving as it was about 3,500' more elevation and about 20 more miles than I have ever done. So after 1.5 years of cycling, I finished a Fondo (hurray!) and of course, I want a bit more. So I'm joining a cycling club so I can train towards racing...and I have a LOT of work to do, just to play at the Cat 5 level.

Thanks and (Arnold voice) I'll be back.
Brent
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 05-21-23, 04:21 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
BTinNYC Well that is quite an accomplishment and a very well deserved congrats. With respect to racing, there is only one level to start - novice And if you want to upgrade to a Cat 4 so you can ride masters, then you have to pick races that qualify to get the required number of races in. Generally, these will be criteriums or circuit races but if you have road races available in your area, those count as well. Time trials / hill climbs do not count unless the hill climb is a mass start of sufficient length.

As you look for racing clubs, find one that offers a novice program with a coach. IMO, one of the most beneficial aspects of training for mass start races is the skill sets of cornering, sprinting and practicing at speeds that are representative at a race. Good luck.

Last edited by Hermes; 05-22-23 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-22-23, 06:32 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I think Cat 5 is now optional, but I could be mistaken.
Old 05-22-23, 08:06 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I think Cat 5 is now optional, but I could be mistaken.
As far and I can tell, USAC renamed the beginner categories for men and women to novice. I checked some race registration pages and there is men's novice racing. I did not see any masters novice racing combined with higher categories. For example, there was an entry possibility for master 50+ novice but no masters 3/4 novice and etc.
Old 05-22-23, 10:48 AM
BTinNYC 

Originally Posted by Hermes
As you look for racing clubs, find one that offers a novice program with a coach. IMO, one of the most beneficial aspects of training for mass start races is the skill sets of cornering, sprinting and practicing at speeds that are representative at a race. Good luck.
I've looked at the local clubs and the Century Road Club Association looks like they're strong on training rookies. I'm planning to work over the next year and try to race in the Central Park crit races in 2024. In the Training Peaks Power Profile, only my 20 minute interval is in the Cat 5 level, so, umm, probably not skipping an entry level.
Old 05-24-23, 07:44 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Had 2 1/2 hours of zone 2 planned but I got rained out this morning and decided to try the local crit race this afternoon, because why not? I haven't raced road in 13+ years, so I jumped into the C race just to see if I remembered how to do it. I ended up holding my own and stayed in great position near the front the entire race, and with half a lap to go, sitting on the wheel of the winner from last week, I peeled off and let everyone go. Legs definitely had enough to be in the mix for a sprint, but I realize I can't officially take points and didn't want anyone upset with me for messing up their race. Next time I'll just do the A race and take my beating LOL.
Old 05-25-23, 07:20 AM
Phatman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by procrit
Who’d have guessed consistency pays off lol.
Haha, its funny how that works. I've found that being consistent with any type of plan at all is better than the best plan implemented inconsistently.

I think that my issue with a lot of the "time crunched" plans is that they don't account for **** that comes up...I've found that when I'm time crunched, I have weeks were I have 12 hours to ride and weeks where I have 0 hours, and that just results in fatigue, illness and injury. A consistent 5-7 hours is dramatically better, but mostly unrealistic for the average time cruncher.
Old 05-31-23, 12:04 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Down 2-3 more pounds and added 10 watts to my 20’ power. Still doing mostly zone 2 work and trying to make gains with adding volume little by little and not pushing intensity. 8% away from my best 20’ power ever and 6% away from my lightest weight ever…
Old 05-31-23, 01:04 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
the 21mph century remains my elusive white whale lol but for the 3rd year in a row I did sub 5hrs. I was doing my best to maintain 240w average (which according to mywindsock would have gotten me close). For the first hour I did 244avg/247NP at 20.7mph, but the subsequent hours weren't that high. at 4hrs my avg was 228 and NP 236. My garmin reset at a couple of points, so I was able to see I was doing about 20mph so I stopped trying to stay around 240 and just dialed it back for the last hour. I think in the future I'll try to do hour laps, that way it might be easier to make sure I try to stay consistent hour to hour and not gradually drop off with coasting and what not. I'll also try to have a better power strategy than just set it at x watts, and try to push more on certain segments and slightly less on others. It's a fun personal challenge, I'm sure I'll get there eventually, so the fun is in trying
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 05-31-23, 02:09 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
the 21mph century remains my elusive white whale lol but for the 3rd year in a row I did sub 5hrs. I was doing my best to maintain 240w average (which according to mywindsock would have gotten me close). For the first hour I did 244avg/247NP at 20.7mph, but the subsequent hours weren't that high. at 4hrs my avg was 228 and NP 236. My garmin reset at a couple of points, so I was able to see I was doing about 20mph so I stopped trying to stay around 240 and just dialed it back for the last hour. I think in the future I'll try to do hour laps, that way it might be easier to make sure I try to stay consistent hour to hour and not gradually drop off with coasting and what not. I'll also try to have a better power strategy than just set it at x watts, and try to push more on certain segments and slightly less on others. It's a fun personal challenge, I'm sure I'll get there eventually, so the fun is in trying
The 100 mile time trial is a fun game! For those of us that like to suffer that is lol.
Old 06-06-23, 10:15 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
Starting a new base block this month. I'll average ~16 hours over the next few weeks, mostly all z2 minus one race level effort each week. Barrio Logan GP criterium this weekend (35/45+), then the "Quick n Dirty" MTB race the following two.

This morning, I just went for a bit under 2 hrs at z2 indoors. Felt sluggish for the first hour, but ripped it up a VO2 max segment (Titan's Grove Reverse) and had great power. Felt pretty spirited after that and sorta just meandered through lower Watopia between different B pacer bots.
Old 06-06-23, 10:28 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
A bit over a week ago, I woke up with a twinge in my knee. Never a good sign, but I had a workout I wanted to get in, so I just said, "suck it up" and did the workout. Big mistake. Feel like I pulled something in my knee, it was painful to walk for the first couple days, so I took the rest of the week off the bike. This past Saturday, it had been a week, and I was antsy to get back on the bike. My knee felt a little stiff but hadn't had pain in 2 days, so I hopped back on for a quick workout. Just 30 or so miles. Man, that was a mistake. Once again, it's still painful to use the stairs and I know I'm going to have to take more time off.

Old 06-06-23, 10:31 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Originally Posted by himespau
A bit over a week ago, I woke up with a twinge in my knee. Never a good sign, but I had a workout I wanted to get in, so I just said, "suck it up" and did the workout. Big mistake. Feel like I pulled something in my knee, it was painful to walk for the first couple days, so I took the rest of the week off the bike. This past Saturday, it had been a week, and I was antsy to get back on the bike. My knee felt a little stiff but hadn't had pain in 2 days, so I hopped back on for a quick workout. Just 30 or so miles. Man, that was a mistake. Once again, it's still painful to use the stairs and I know I'm going to have to take more time off.
Give it time. I banged my knee up riding motocross and it took months to heal to the point of being able to use it at all on a bicycle, and even more months to use it normally on a bike without pain.
Old 06-06-23, 01:00 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

3 hours zone 2 a couple of days ago, and 30/30s with more zone 2 today. As happy as I am about my endurance and power going up, I’m almost as happy about my saddle sores turning into calluses and no longer hurting on longer rides lol.
Old 06-07-23, 01:32 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

CTL bottomed out around ~78 or so before entering a base block starting this week.

Had solid TSS over M/T before taking some time off work in the AM today to get 4 more hours in. The legs were cranky in the first half but I was rip-roaring by the end. Nice. Picked a great route too, I may ride this more often when I'm looking for 3-3.5. It was a little short for 4 so I had to make up time in some local neighborhoods (Tierrasanta).
Old 06-11-23, 01:53 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Started the winning attack in the Master's (35/45) crit yesterday, 4 laps in. Only managed 3rd (of 4th), more on that later in the other thread.

3 hours of z2 today at the low end of the zone. In AP at least. Legs/body pretty cranky for most of it, but I stated to open up in the final half hour. Good sign for the big volume week coming up.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-11-23, 05:53 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
i just did a 16hr week, did back to back 4hr rides this weekend while down at my parents, same route, roughly same power (200ish watts) same speed lol i also did a mix of threshold and sweet spot including 2x alpe du zwift. it's not really the best time of year to work on threshold tte inside, but I've def got at least around 40mins at 300 in me. After this next rest week we'll try and see what I can do
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 06-17-23, 08:27 AM
BTinNYC 

News Flash!
It doesn't take long to gain weight and lose strength.
Old 06-25-23, 07:31 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

'bout to head out on my last ride of the block, 6 hr solo z2. Don't really want to TBH. Always feel like this towards the end of a base block, but its just 1 more so its nbd. Then I get to be lazy.

Track on Tuesday night but TBH I might not be feeling the vibe. Maybe I'll go to hang after work and have a beer or two.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-30-23, 09:59 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Only real effort of this rest week, a 10' supra-LTHR effort on Fiesta Island, otherwise z1/2 cruising. Happy with the effort. My legs were a bit cranky, but I had a couple riders ask if they could ride my wheel so that kept me motivated. They even took a turn or two each.

Up next, camping at Mount Laguna for the weekend. Some hiking, but mostly MTB. It's gonna be a warm one! But not too hot. Finally feels like summer around here.
Old 06-30-23, 10:00 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Next block, VO2s. Unlike last time (March), I'm going to only do 2x VO2 workouts per week instead of three. For the third one, I'll do something fun instead - track racing, zwift racing, local practice crit etc. "All work and no play makes Tmonk a dull boy" and all that. Riding time is going to be decreased significantly next season, so I gotta live it up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.