Cedar River Trail

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 11:31 PM
Kneez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
I rode the CRT again today and tried to obey the speed limit. I think I averaged about 12mph. It's tough to go that slow consistantly on a such a flat stretch. Interestingly there was a cop at the end of the trail. I happened to be doing a blinding 8 mph when I passed him.

Earlier in the day I was on the SRT and saw a guy fly past me and nearly cream a little girl of about nine of ten years old who was a little ways ahead of me. I was doing about 16mph at the time. I think he was doing better than 20mph.
Old 08-09-10, 10:56 AM
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager

Bikes: Road, mountain and folding

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow. Did it look as if the Renton police officer was on the trail by coincidence, or do you think he was there in an enforcement role; i.e.: he had a speed gun?
Old 08-09-10, 11:16 AM
Kneez

Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MillCreek
Wow. Did it look as if the Renton police officer was on the trail by coincidence, or do you think he was there in an enforcement role; i.e.: he had a speed gun?
I don't know. He wasn't standing outside his car with a hand-held radar gun, that is for sure.
Old 08-22-10, 06:28 PM
poppadaddio
El Hammermeister

Bikes: Black, black, red&white, and titanium. All 4 are from Bikesdirect!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’ve been riding the Cedar River Trail as part of one of my training circuits for several years now. Only on warm sunny afternoons is there very much traffic, either pedestrian or bike. Most of the time I have the trail virtually to myself. So I can’t imagine they are going to have a speed cop out there very often, unless there are complaints or something.
Two alternates I now take if I can, because I find the Cedar River Trail to be a little boring actually: One is Jones Road although it is a little difficult to connect out at 196th. The other is to go up 140th to Fairwood instead of going in to Renton. It’s a better climb anyway.
Instead of “on your left,” I have invested in warning bells for my bikes. They have been around for years and are actually required some places. It seems to me that people hear and understand a pleasant little bell and are quite happy to step aside. I never liked yelling “on your left” at people, many don’t really know what you mean or what it is they are supposed to do.
By the way, they have painted a dashed line down the middle of the trail. I find it helpful when practicing my time trial because I can now just keep my head down and not constantly have to look ahead. Much more aero!
Old 08-23-10, 12:33 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
The Biking Bis blog has all the details on the 10 mph speed limit on the CRT -- it carries a $101 fine for violations. Has excellent maps showing where the 10mph zone starts and stops:

https://www.bikingbis.com/blog/_archi...3/4611521.html
Old 08-23-10, 02:12 PM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just use the road now. It's a walking trail now as far as I'm concerned. Not that I'm hellbent on going fast - I was perfectly fine with the 15mph limit, which I felt was reasonable - but now it's just not worth the hassle of worrying whether or not I'm under the 10mph limit. That's pretty slow. I would have to spend more time staring at my speedometer than watching where I'm going to prevent accidentally going over the limit, and that's just not enjoyable at all. I hope the drivers enjoy seeing my lycra-clad butt, because they're going to see a lot more of it every time I ride down that way.
Old 08-23-10, 05:09 PM
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Man, with the dismount areas, it is not worth riding into downtown Renton at all. From here on out, it looks like the trail is viable for riding only from the golf course on east.
Old 08-23-10, 09:13 PM
Forza
Con forza e velocitŕ

Bikes: Spesh S-Works - Tarmac SL4, Spesh S-Works Venge, BMC Team Machine SLR01, Spesh Allez - FrankenForza

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple of things...

1. I have heard of cops patrolling the BGT, I don't imagine that the CRT will be immune.
2. Regarding the radar signs, I was always tracked accurately, until I switched to Carbon, now it is rather hit or miss and tends to be more erratic. Some that come to mind are:
- The Three on West Lake Samm; two on the southbound (westside of Lake Samm in Redmond and Bellevue, one is a 35, other is a 30), and the other on West Lake Samm Eastbound along I-90
- Both directions on Lakemont BLVD SE, one coming down the hill prior to Village Pk DR SE, and the other Westbound (Toward Newcastle), near Forest Park Drive SE.
3. I tend to ride the road the majority of the time and just avoid MUPs, especially on the Eastside.
Old 08-25-10, 12:39 PM
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
From yesterday's (8/24/10) Renton Reporter:

Renton lowers bicycle speed limit on Cedar River Trail, paints yellow centerline stripe
By DEAN RADFORD
RENTON REPORTER

The City of Renton has painted a dashed yellow centerline stripe on the Cedar River Trail and lowered the speed limit to help make the popular trail safer.

See photo

Renton lowers bicycle speed limit on Cedar River Trail, paints yellow centerline stripe

The measures comes following the death last spring of Renton's Velma Mapelli, who at 83, was a regular on the trail. She was hit by a bike rider coming up behind her on the trail.

Following her death, Mayor Denis Law implemented a comprehensive trail-safety program that also includes education and outreach, new rules and additional signage.

The centerline stripe encourages users to keep to the right and extends from Sixth Avenue North to Logan Avenue North and from the entrance to the trail underneath I-405 to 149th Avenue Southeast by Ron Regis Park.

Like Mapelli, William Benton of Fairwood is 83 and a regular user of the trail. He's there three days a week, walking 2 1/2 miles each day, after an hour-long workout at the nearby Renton Community Center.

"I try to stay in shape," he said.

He was walking to the right on the trail. He's always felt safe and finds the trail easy to walk on.

"I haven't had a close encounter of any kind," he said.

After Mapelli's death, city officials heard numerous stories of trail pedestrians who had their own close encounters or actually collided with bike riders. Law had his own story of a brush with a bike rider, too.

As part of this campaign, the city has set up patrols by police cadets on the trails to assist with education and remind trail users to stop inappropriate behavior.

Since June, cadets have contacted more than 500 trail patrons and provided information on trail etiquette and safety. They have also noted 15 helmet violations, 31 speeding violations, 19 dismount violations.

“The new lanes are making a difference and bikes are going slower,” said Renton Police Cadet Travis Gnehm. “At least three citizens have come up to me and expressed their appreciation and have mentioned that that our police-presence on the trail was a great help.”

The city also plans to provide flyers and information on trail etiquette at kiosks and dispensers along the Cedar River Trail, post additional signage to promote trail etiquette, and work with local bicycling organizations to inform their members about the new rules and encourage trail safety.

The key messages of the city's campaign include:

• Control speed on the trail, especially in congested areas.

• Keep to the right, except to pass.

• Be aware of people around you before entering a trail, changing directions or passing.

• Be courteous when passing by warning those being passed.

• Don't block the path; if necessary, stop on the side of the trail.

• Keep pets on a short leash to prevent interference with other trail users, and pick-up after your pet.

• Wear reflective clothing and use lights when using the trail after dark.

The city has has revised is parks rules. All civil violations of park rules carry a fine of up to $101.

The revised rules include:

• Reduced speed limit reduced from 15 mph to 10 mph.

• Dismount zone for bicycles on the Cedar River Trail between the Renton Library and the Renton Senior Activity Center.

The new trail warnings include:

• The dashed centerline on the Cedar River Trail to denote a separation and to encourage trail users to stay to the right of the line unless passing.

• Signs at all access points stating the speed limit of 10 mph (currently no bicycles are permitted on the trail from North Sixth Street to the mouth of the river due to reduced trail width).

• Warning marks on pavement approaching bollards.

• Additional trail signage that is universally understood and consistent with other cities and King County.

The efforts to enhance trail safety also include enforcement of reckless behavior and violations that occur in various areas of the city, including Lake Washington Boulevard. Since July 1, the Renton Police Department has issued 185 tickets on Lake Washington Boulevard for vehicles and trail users.
Old 08-25-10, 01:54 PM
bizzz111

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MillCreek
From yesterday's (8/24/10) Renton Reporter:

By DEAN RADFORD
RENTON REPORTER

Cripes, talk about sucking all the fun out of an outdoor activity. Looks like I won't be taking that trail anytime soon. Why not just define the MUP as a sidewalk and be done with it?

I would like to see a breakdown of those 185 tickets and how many were given to pedestrians.
Old 08-30-10, 05:31 PM
Val
Bike Pilot

Bikes: Oh, yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, it happened this weekend - I was pulled over by a motorcycle cop sitting next to the trail with a radar gun so that we could "have a conversation" about the speed limit. He was quite professional, told me that it was 10 mph, and that I had been doing 12. While he was checking my ID and explaining this, he had occasion to shout at several other riders who seemed to be doing 20-25, but he was unable to stop them. He also gave me a written warning for violating the Dress Code (because, you know, when you're going 10 mph, it is very important to protect yourself). An amusing encounter all around, and definitely makes me feel that bicycles are taken seriously here in Renton. Now I just want a 10 mph speed limit on any stretch of roadway where a pedestrian has been killed, and mandatory helmet laws for all vulnerable road users. Then we will be making progress.
Old 08-30-10, 10:16 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Holy mother of radar -- pulled over for doing 12 mph in a 10 mph zone.

I've always thought that if I got pulled over for speeding on a bicycle I'd be proud to have it framed (you know, 35 mph in a 30 mph zone). I don't think I'd brag about 12 mph in 10 mph zone, though.
Old 08-30-10, 11:16 PM
Forza
Con forza e velocitŕ

Bikes: Spesh S-Works - Tarmac SL4, Spesh S-Works Venge, BMC Team Machine SLR01, Spesh Allez - FrankenForza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, if it makes it any better it is 12% over...ratio wise it's like doing 78.5 in a 70.
Old 08-31-10, 01:06 PM
Val
Bike Pilot

Bikes: Oh, yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From one perspective, it makes up for all the times the Renton Police have pulled me over and told me that I would be cited for Impeding Traffic if I continued to ride in the road. I will be very interested to see what sort of situation develops on the Maple Valley Highway in the next month or so.
Old 08-31-10, 05:29 PM
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I inagine it will be difficult to estimate 10 MPH with accuracy if you don't have a bicycle computer. There is no legal requirement to have a bicycle computer, and I would think about asserting that as a defense if you receive a ticket.