Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tent + sleeping pad + bag weight.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tent + sleeping pad + bag weight.

Old 03-08-22, 06:27 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
... and even if it stays dry, the biting insects make some sort of shelter important.
Yup, they were in the tent vestibule and waiting for me to open my screen door in the morning so they could come in for breakfast.

Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-09-22, 01:20 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Having attempted more ultra light touring in the past, I've settled on the fact that for me, a good night's sleep is worth an extra pound or two. I always giggle at the individuals that concern themselves with high dollar ultra light equipment and yet they're carrying an extra 5-10 lbs or more around the waist.
The bike can't tell the difference.
Likes For robow:
Old 03-09-22, 02:57 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Having attempted more ultra light touring in the past, I've settled on the fact that for me, a good night's sleep is worth an extra pound or two. I always giggle at the individuals that concern themselves with high dollar ultra light equipment and yet they're carrying an extra 5-10 lbs or more around the waist.
I always try to start a long tour with that extra 5-10 pounds of high density energy around my waist.

This might be hard to understand, but a 500 dollar tent is not a big deal to many. In other words, they don't think of it. It isn't much more than 2 days in a decent hotel or two fillups of their diesel truck.
Old 03-09-22, 04:10 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Two observations from a guy who has toured with a wide range of loads at a wide range of fitness levels...
  1. I have not found that my UL gear sacrifices a good nights sleep. It was all chosen with two kinds of comfort primarily in mind, comfort on the bike, and comfort while sleeping. I sleep great with my UL gear, usually better than at home.
  2. I have toured at a failrly wide range of fitness levels and body weights and have greatly appreciated a lighter load regardless of my body weight. I think if anything more so when I am less fit, like in the first weeks of a multimonth tour that I started in less than stellar shape.
I'll grant that it may seem silly to quibble over a few grams if you are carrying extra body weight, but you reduce the pounds by watching the grams. My gear went down over 40 pounds in large part by watching many tiny factors. I don't tend to go too crazy on a lot of fancy stuff like cuben fiber to lose the last few grams though. I find I can get to quite a low gear weight without resorting to extremes.

I do agree that there can be a point where you sacrifice comfort for weight carried, but I found that it is possible to get to a VERY low gear weight before that really is an issue. I do for example take a bigger tarp than I used to so I can pitch it a little higher even in bad weather and still stay dry.

Edited to add that obviously ideally we'd start our tours in shape and with a load optimized for our needs/preferences.

Last edited by staehpj1; 03-09-22 at 06:00 PM.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 03-10-22, 01:34 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
I began camping & hiking in Scouts with a Scoutmaster who thought the finest outdoor gear that existed - in fact, could ever possibly exist - was what he'd used in General Patton's 3rd Army. Almost any modern gear is a Godsend, comparatively!

Still, by underthinking things for a couple of decades, I was brought up short with descriptions of today's ultralight cycletouring loads. A quick and dirty industry survey of UL gear evolved a hypothetical packing list totaling under 5 pounds (80 oz, 2.3 kg, 0.36 stone) for quilt, pad, pillow, bag liner, tent and chair. It's not even that expensive relative to the purchase price of a new touring bike.

Notes:
1) I'm using manufacturers' advertised weights or magazine/website comparison tests data. Caveat emptor.
2) Three season. Not suitable for trans-Antarctic tours.
3) I don't own nor have I ever used any of this stuff. Various suppliers. YMMV.

Last edited by tcs; 03-10-22 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-13-22, 01:08 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Found it!
My tent, sleeping bag and air mattress together, weigh 6 lb. 8 oz.
That is with waterproof stuff sack on s'bag. The bag is a little too light for Fall going North, or above about 1000'. I'll be looking for a warmer, lighter, more expensive one for this season.
Tent is by NEMO, nominally two man, but they would have to be small and close to make it work. For me it is nice to have the panniers in with me when it rains over night, or where coons or other plunder bunnies would like to forage in them. The tent is great. Sets easily, waterproof, and packs up easily.
Likes For Pratt: