Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bandits and Pirates -- on Event Fees

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bandits and Pirates -- on Event Fees

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-22, 06:02 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I am still not sure why I should care if a bandit bicyclist is riding with me and the other 172 riders.
The main reason you should care is because you overcooked the second part of that blind S curve. You and your bike/gear are down at the bottom of the ravine next to the road injured. The race/ride is strung out. Nobody witnessed your accident. One of the two bandits, either the OP or Mr. Sellerz took your spot in the head count at the checkpoints. Maybe there are some more bandits on the ride which means there might be some donut chewers/picture takers still behind you that will come by eventually. I'd start making some noise if I were you. Otherwise, we might be reading/hearing about you on CNN/FOX/etc as a missing persons file. Well, until the search parties come upon you and we get the update.
Old 04-12-22, 07:34 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Ride organizers often obtain a permit for a maximum number of participants. If "pirates" show up, and the local constabulary count too many participants, the event organizer may not be able to obtain a permit in the future.
Is that something that has happened before or is that imagining up a reason to concern yourself with bandits?
Old 04-12-22, 07:36 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You're probably free riding on whatever insurance they had to pay in order to clear (permit) the route and gather the group. That's theft.
Would the bandit be entitled to insurance coverage if something went wrong?
Old 04-12-22, 08:06 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Is that something that has happened before or is that imagining up a reason to concern yourself with bandits?
This ride is capped because of the number of participants allowed on the Blue Ridge Parkway in an event.

https://www.ymcacva.org/storming-thunder-ridge
Old 04-12-22, 08:10 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
If you have planned out doing this in advance and have to come here to ask if you're the jerk, you probably are.
Likes For himespau:
Old 04-12-22, 08:12 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
I figure if ride organizers didn't see a downside to poachers/freeloaders they'd probably say "Our ride is $150 but if you think you are special enough that you should ride for free, come on out!"
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-12-22, 08:14 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
If you have planned out doing this in advance and have to come here to ask if you're the jerk, you probably are.
Yup. Like when someone starts a sentence with "I'm not a racist, but..." And you know they're going to say something that's super racist.
Old 04-12-22, 08:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

Doesn't matter--the group could not be constituted without the insurance, so it's part of the cost of the group that the bandit is so eager to ride with.

Also, I'd reckon that the coverage is probably conditioned on the organizers keeping the event capped, so the bandit might be screwing up your coverage.

You understand that if this becomes real common, people won't be able to organize the events, right?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-12-22, 08:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
You understand that if this becomes real common, people won't be able to organize the events, right?
It should be rather obvious, but it was an epiphany to me in my early 20's when the thought occurred, "if a behavior can't scale without the system breaking down, it's probably an assholish behavior." Unfortunately, it seems as if many others either don't understand or don't care about this.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-12-22, 08:34 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Out on my normal Sunday training ride and what comes around a sharp down hill corner, wide into my lane completely out of control. A pack of wannabe racers on an organized ride, probably thinking they owned the road for the entry fee. Spring already? Urgh. Looked it up, smallish 700 rider organized ride. At least they did not paint arrows on the pavement. My route crossed the ride's route about an hour later for about 2 miles and the dozen or so riders took up the entire lane. Both sides of the road. After my training ride, my wife returns from church to tell me there is an organized ride going on. How can you tell? "They won't move over to let you pass."

GET OFF MY LAWN. lol
Old 04-12-22, 10:38 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
Our events are run on very reasonable budgets. The MTB XC races we have - usually one or two a month - have many local business and council Sponsors who chip in. There is a minimum participation of circa 150 riders but usually they are upwards of 300 - last race was over 600. The race fee is 10 euros, typically, and covers your number, a t-shirt, a water bottle, Marshalls at every major turn, Police support including closed roads and all the pageantry that goes with a race and of course, the podium trophies for all the categories. Last Sunday's race had free cakes before too! Oh, and free photographer; she gets paid by the organisers.

The MTB races aren't on closed circuits but on public tracks, trails, farms and towns.

The road cycling Gran Fondos are more expensive, circa 20-30 euros but that gets police ******* added in too.

Compared to race entry costs I've seen elsewhere, it is a bargain and very well done.
You can put on these events for just 10 euros and Gran Fondos for only 20-30 euros? That's about $11 USD and $22-33 USD. You must get a lot of donated items or big sponsors to cover all the costs.
Old 04-12-22, 10:45 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
BF's version of AITA.
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-12-22, 10:58 AM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
Serious inquiry. Spectators will sometimes bicycle along the Tour de France stages, both ahead of and behind the race, correct? Should we bounce them for taking advantage of the organizers route and signage?
Old 04-12-22, 11:22 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulette
Serious inquiry. Spectators will sometimes bicycle along the Tour de France stages, both ahead of and behind the race, correct? Should we bounce them for taking advantage of the organizers route and signage?
This is only relevant if you have the intent to ride the course either before the event has started, or after the event has ended. Is that the case?
Old 04-12-22, 11:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Serious inquiry--why is that relevant? No one's saying you can't ride the route of an organized group ride either before or after the event is run. Your question was about riding with the event crowd.

I would think the TdF thing would be a timing issue--as long as they're not in the way of the race, the roads are either open for cycling or they are not.

Also, there's just a basic question of norms here. The French business owners are probably appreciating the bicycle tourist trade.

I get that you're trying to turn this into a grey area with the "take advantage" thing, but it entirely misses the point--riding with the group is the thing that constitutes taking UNFAIR advantage of the organizers and paid participants.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-12-22, 11:29 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I would imagine the insurance company will want to deny coverage to non-participants. If there are injuries, I would guess the event liability would cover the participants and the bandit would be on his/her own.

As for the OP’s reference to the Tour de France, the woman who caused the crash with her Opi-Omi sign was convicted of reckless endangerment. She was only fined, but could have faced jail time.

I think the OP needs an “I’m with stupid” T-shirt.

John
Old 04-12-22, 11:53 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
We,eh? I guess if you, the Creeper or anyone else puts on a ride you can run it the way you like. Seriously.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-12-22, 12:09 PM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
You can put on these events for just 10 euros and Gran Fondos for only 20-30 euros? That's about $11 USD and $22-33 USD. You must get a lot of donated items or big sponsors to cover all the costs.

The sponsors are usually the supermarkets, local businesses etc. Here is a typical example of an upcoming MTB race:
https://apedalar.pt/eventos/info/2898

Entry is 10 euros and if you want lunch, add 9.50 euros.

This is one of the more expensive Gran Fondos - 40 euros but look what you get for that: https://granfondoserradaestrela.com/...ions/?id=13290

Portugal is cheaper generally than the USA, UK etc for many things with the exception of housing in the tourist hotspots which is comparable with any sought-after area in the EU and motor vehicles, which are hideously taxed.

Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 04-12-22, 12:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Dumb questions but...

It's permitted as long as there is no potential interference with the race or unless it's otherwise not permitted for other reasons. I rode parts of a few '95 Giro stages on days before the race came through. In one instance, I was coming back down into town from a climb when I was, in fact, directed off the course by the Crabinieri because it was getting close to the time when the riders were expected. When we rode the hilly time trial stage we started early enough that we made it to the finish way before the first rider hti the course. The only thing we were not permitted to do was ride through the finish area. We had to walk around and continue riding after we had bypassed it. I made the climb to the finish at Gressoney-St. Jean well before the riders were due. On the way back down I had to pull over for them as they came by in various groups.

In any even, I hope you are getting whatever satisfaction you hoped to get out of this thread. I understand that if you don't give a border collie enough to do it might make trouble.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-12-22, 12:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
The sponsors are usually the supermarkets, local businesses etc. Here is a typical example of an upcoming MTB race:
https://apedalar.pt/eventos/info/2898

Entry is 10 euros and if you want lunch, add 9.50 euros.

This is one of the more expensive Gran Fondos - 40 euros but look what you get for that: https://granfondoserradaestrela.com/...ions/?id=13290

Portugal is cheaper generally than the USA, UK etc for many things with the exception of housing in the tourist hotspots which is comparable with any sought-after area in the EU and motor vehicles, which are hideously taxed.

Is it fair to say that the insurance costs are less or non-existent because they don't have to deal with American-style torts liability?
Old 04-12-22, 12:30 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Serious inquiry.
If so, it’s an unflattering glimpse of your ability to make analogies.

Last edited by Rolla; 04-12-22 at 12:42 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-12-22, 12:42 PM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Is it fair to say that the insurance costs are less or non-existent because they don't have to deal with American-style torts liability?
True, I think, any liability costs will be far less onerous, nothing like what the USA has become used to.

In terms of all round insurance for accidents, injuries and liability, there is medical assistance at all events, but medical insurance is borne by the participant, usually in the form of our UCI licenses which covers that specific insurance as well as personal liability. More than that, we have free state healthcare comparable to the UK's NHS and many of us have Private too. So medical insurances etc are covered that way. However, the organisers will have their own liability insurance in place too but to what degree I have never looked into but it is fair to say, tort liability costs/awards will be nowhere near as much.

Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 04-12-22, 12:54 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I feel you OP, a ride that I want to do is a whopping $150 and includes a jersey that I don't want. If possible I would ride with a group of respected experienced riders with some clout, so nobody says anything. I think im gonna ride with one of the local racing teams that have riders I'm friends with and be sure to take good pulls.

Just bring your own stuff
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
im not gonna argue with anyone, just think OP would be best off sticking to the fast pacelines that won't be stopping at rest stops.
Lest there be any uncertainty, he definitely wants to make clear what kind of person he is. Of course, taking good pulls totally negates the asshollery.

Last edited by Camilo; 04-12-22 at 01:20 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-12-22, 01:04 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Lest there be any uncertainty, he definitely wants to make clear what kind of person he is. Of course, taking good pulls totally negates the a$$holery.
I'm going to write to a bunch of ride organizers and ask if it's okay for me to ride without paying ... as long as I take some good pulls. I think they'll all be cool with that.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-12-22, 01:23 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I'm going to write to a bunch of ride organizers and ask if it's okay for me to ride without paying ... as long as I take some good pulls. I think they'll all be cool with that.
Yea, I don't think they'll even require you to take good pulls. As long as you just stick with the fast riders to whom bows and genuflections are made, it will be welcomed, I'm sure.
Likes For Camilo:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.