Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bandits and Pirates -- on Event Fees

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bandits and Pirates -- on Event Fees

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-22, 01:32 PM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I'm going to write to a bunch of ride organizers and ask if it's okay for me to ride without paying ... as long as I take some good pulls. I think they'll all be cool with that.
probably need to take some good pulls off a whiskey bottle to think they'd say yes...
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 04-12-22, 01:41 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I feel you OP, a ride that I want to do is a whopping $150
This pretty much sums up life. Except for a small number of people, everyone has something they want but are unable, or unwilling, to spend the money.

Ultimately the person decides to pass on it, or lets the want turn into a need with whatever justification necessary.

And participating in a bicycle event has to be so far down the list of needs, it is almost comical.

John
Old 04-12-22, 02:04 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
probably need to take some good pulls off a whiskey bottle to think they'd say yes...
Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning.
Old 04-12-22, 02:17 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
I think you can count on that!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-12-22, 03:19 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

You understand that if this becomes real common, people won't be able to organize the events, right?
I understand that it is highly unlikely to happen. There just aren't that many people out there who want to ride with folks like you and I. lol. I was also very purposeful in my use of "someone" and "a" bandit.
Old 04-12-22, 04:16 PM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
Assuming an open course, as we primarily have been discussing, why go to such lengths to ostracize a fellow bicyclist while tolerating motor vehicle traffic on your $100 course?

Even in this thread -- a well humored joke about ridin' bandit in a Trans Am might actually be funny if it wasn't so close to the actual status quo. Organized rides always seem to attract out the motorbikes and sport cars, and not only the ones with safety vests. Somehow I don't think the high insurance is just because of bandit bicyclists.

** You can feel free to continue to hurl insults at me (directly or indirectly). It's fine. I learned long ago to not take the internet folks too seriously.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
In one instance, I was coming back...
Your experience probably best describes how I've felt -- as a spectator, whom some will call bandit.

In any even, I hope you are getting whatever satisfaction you hoped to get out of this thread.
I pedal more than I post, which is more than some 'round here can say. If I'm here, it is meaningfully so.
Old 04-12-22, 04:21 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulette
Assuming an open course, as we primarily have been discussing, why go to such lengths to ostracize a fellow bicyclist while tolerating motor vehicle traffic on your $100 course?

Even in this thread -- a well humored joke about ridin' bandit in a Trans Am might actually be funny if it wasn't so close to the actual status quo. Organized rides always seem to attract out the motorbikes and sport cars, and not only the ones with safety vests. Somehow I don't think the high insurance is just because of bandit bicyclists.

** You can feel free to continue to hurl insults at me (directly or indirectly). It's fine. I learned long ago to not take the internet folks too seriously.

Your experience probably best describes how I've felt -- as a spectator, whom some will call bandit.

I pedal more than I post, which is more than some 'round here can say. If I'm here, it is meaningfully so.
I think you’re lost.

Welcome to the iggy list.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-12-22, 04:39 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
We all have a standard as to what is meaningful.

But it seems that posting about riding along on an event without paying, and not using any event services, doesn’t seem to hit the mark for a lot of people.

Of course, mileage is always a justification for one’s position.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-12-22, 05:11 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts

Even in this thread -- a well humored joke about ridin' bandit in a Trans Am might actually be funny if it wasn't so close to the actual status quo.
You realize that this was a movie reference, no?

And yet you keep contorting yourself in a manner that would make a Cirque du Soleil performer envious, all in an effort to justify your position vs that of the opposition here.

I ride enough that I don't feel terribly compelled to join the vast majority of organized rides, bandit or no. But wait - I thought that this was just a "thought exercise"?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-12-22, 05:36 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
If I'm here, it is meaningfully so.
Meaningful for whom?
Old 04-12-22, 05:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts

Insults? Clearly you can't be shamed. Meaningful? You poached the thread from two other forums, then brought a knife to a gun fight when folks began to school you on ethics. It's been entertaining watching you slip on your own banana peel but I agree, time for the iggy list.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-12-22, 06:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Depending on the ride, they may well dump some cash into the community. For example renting a grange hall, or renting use of a park.

They will hire local community groups to provide assistance and refreshments. Perhaps with volunteers in those groups, so multi-level fund raising.

Our local cycling group has an annual Century Ride which is their major fund raiser. They have daily or weekly rides which they do allow people to participate in for free, but encourage membership.

They also do some community advocacy.

One day I found somebody had dripped glass along my main commuting route for several miles. I contacted both the County, as well as the local cycling group, and in less than a week it was swept.
Old 04-12-22, 09:39 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Would the bandit be entitled to insurance coverage if something went wrong?
Usually, the participants are not insured by the event. Normally, the registration includes a waiver with some form of “Hold Harmless” clause, that if you crash out and hurt yourself, you won’t sue the event or the organizers.

An unregistered bandit has not signed on to that agreement, and has no obligation to follow it. Should they choose to, they could sue the event, the organizers (individuals) and any groups involved, even though they weren’t supposed to be there.
Again, it’s debatable whether they would win, but neither I nor the nonprofit I volunteer for has the time or money for a court case just sitting around. Big, corporate events, maybe, but not the kind of grassroots stuff that I do.
Old 04-12-22, 11:48 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
The main reason you should care is because you overcooked the second part of that blind S curve. You and your bike/gear are down at the bottom of the ravine next to the road injured. The race/ride is strung out. Nobody witnessed your accident. One of the two bandits, either the OP or Mr. Sellerz took your spot in the head count at the checkpoints. Maybe there are some more bandits on the ride which means there might be some donut chewers/picture takers still behind you that will come by eventually. I'd start making some noise if I were you. Otherwise, we might be reading/hearing about you on CNN/FOX/etc as a missing persons file. Well, until the search parties come upon you and we get the update.
So ridiculous
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 04-13-22, 12:40 AM
downhillmaster

I'm curious to hear some opinions and discussion to perhaps reconsider my own perspectives, here. I mostly ride alone, and have become very self-sufficient for it. "Self-sufficiency", in this case, often means stopping a town or two over and spending some cash at a local bakery, donut shop, or at minimum, the C-store. And, as much as I appreciate their service, I also get a 'good feeling' about supporting a local establishment with the hope that they will stay in business for future rides.

Now then, either I've become more involved in the "cycling scene" the last few years, or there really has been an increase in the number of organized event rides, often times with a small (or not so small entry fee). Sometimes, the event organizers will pitch the event as supporting the local community (and sometimes there are legitimate charity drives to speak of). But in other cases, it seems like the pitch to support local is somewhat hollow -- we pay $50-100 and the organizer provides water, snacks, and sometimes even brings along their own food-truck vendors and all -- on these types of rides, then, most riders will rarely step off the route, rarely venture into any C-Store, or support any local diners or dives.

1. If an organized ride uses entirely public right-of-way, and the entrance fee is more 'profit' than 'charity', would you feel guilty about riding along as a 'bandit'**? Why, or why not?
2. Does this change if an organized ride is more so for 'charity'? (Has anybody ever even seen a 'bandit' on an MS150?)
3. Does the price of a ride influence these thoughts? I.e.: A Local Shop Ride where $20 is meant to cover the mid-way water tent (which you might not need) vs a "Big Corporate Sponsor" $60 ride where fees include lunch and a t-shirt (which you do not need)?

** For clarity -- riding along 'bandit' here should assume that you do not and will not need any of the organizers' resources (water, mechanical, SAG, etc), and that you have your own safety net (Uber, family, etc).
Has anything been stated in this thread that has caused you to reconsider your own perspectives on riding along as a ‘bandit?’
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 04-13-22, 12:46 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts

Stop moving the goalposts. Either you understand what a “bandit” is, or you don’t.

What is “bandit” behavior? Any or all of: Taking the start / finish line, or otherwise knowingly joining the course/ group during ​​​​​​ the event. Making use of on-course amenities, finish line events, or collecting participant / finisher “swag” that you’re not entitled to because YOU DIDN’T SIGN UP

What isn’t? Through-riding on an otherwise open-to-traffic road that happens to be part of an event route. Don’t take the start/finish or sit in on the group, even if you take real good pulls like Larry.
Nobody “just wanders into “ a closed-course event by accident. Even “pre-running “ a TdF stage, the road is open, up to a point, but the marshals will keep you out of places like the finish chute, and the Gendarmerie sweeps everyone off the road ahead of the race caravan.

There’s a difference between playing devil’s advocate and being deliberately obtuse. This is the latter. It’s impressive that you can get so many miles in under that bridge.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 04-13-22, 03:59 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
There’s a difference between playing devil’s advocate and being deliberately obtuse. This is the latter. It’s impressive that you can get so many miles in under that bridge.
Sums up this thread well.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-13-22, 04:29 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
So ridiculous
Not really. My phone died once on a ride. I made some wrong turns and got lost in the boonies of VA, in the heat and humidity of August. Ended up doing 158 miles before I got back to civilization and the start/finish. The event was packed up and gone by then. Nobody was out looking for me. Good thing I wasn't laying in a ditch somewhere.
Old 04-13-22, 05:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Usually, the participants are not insured by the event. Normally, the registration includes a waiver with some form of “Hold Harmless” clause, that if you crash out and hurt yourself, you won’t sue the event or the organizers.

An unregistered bandit has not signed on to that agreement, and has no obligation to follow it. Should they choose to, they could sue the event, the organizers (individuals) and any groups involved, even though they weren’t supposed to be there.
Again, it’s debatable whether they would win, but neither I nor the nonprofit I volunteer for has the time or money for a court case just sitting around. Big, corporate events, maybe, but not the kind of grassroots stuff that I do.
My understanding is that the insurance is to cover liability to non-participants who could get hit by riders in the event. So it actually is covering the liability of participants as the suit will likely target the deep pockets of the insured event rather than the riders involved in the crash.

​​
Old 04-13-22, 05:47 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Would the bandit be entitled to insurance coverage if something went wrong?
That actually happened on a ride my club hosted. Someone went down in the rain and got pretty messed up. They tried to sue. Club looked at the rider list and said, "sorry you weren't on our ride." End of story. BTW, insurance for ride doesn't cover riders' medical expenses, it protects the organization from being sued.
Old 04-13-22, 06:19 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
BTW, insurance for ride doesn't cover riders' medical expenses, it protects the organization from being sued.
Correct. The insurance the club/ride buys usually only covers its liabilities. It does not cover/insure ride participants. One exception that I encountered was when I participated in a 3 months tour with Adventure Cycling Association. It actually had health insurance that covered tour participants who were uninsured. That was back in 1999, when coverage was much less expensive, and there group, unsupported tours were limited to about a dozen people. I would be surprised if it's still offered today.

Three people, myself included, did have to make hospital visits. One woman got a nasty sore on her lip. One guy crashed while drunk and fractured his collarbone. I cut my palm with my Swiss Army Knife and needed three stiches. I had my own health plan. Don't know about the other two, but I suspect one was covered by Medicare.
Old 04-13-22, 06:27 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Correct. The insurance the club/ride buys usually only covers its liabilities. It does not cover/insure ride participants. One exception that I encountered was when I participated in a 3 months tour with Adventure Cycling Association. It actually had health insurance that covered tour participants who were uninsured. That was back in 1999, when coverage was much less expensive, and there group, unsupported tours were limited to about a dozen people. I would be surprised if it's still offered today.

Three people, myself included, did have to make hospital visits. One woman got a nasty sore on her lip. One guy crashed while drunk and fractured his collarbone. I cut my palm with my Swiss Army Knife and needed three stiches. I had my own health plan. Don't know about the other two, but I suspect one was covered by Medicare.
Did that make it hard to finish the ride? I'm thinking about your grip on the handlebar.

Last edited by Koyote; 04-13-22 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-13-22, 06:31 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by Koyote
Did that make it hard to finish the ride? I thinking about your grip on the handlebar.
Yeah. That must have been difficult as he always has a camera for selfies in one hand.
Old 04-13-22, 06:42 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Yeah. That must have been difficult as he always has a camera for selfies in one hand.
Please point us toward some selfies he's taken while riding the bike.
Old 04-13-22, 07:26 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by Koyote
Please point us toward some selfies he's taken while riding the bike.
Obtuse works for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.