Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Two Questions in one. changing stem -10mm and down sizing

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-22, 11:24 AM
TrekRider69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Everyone,

Right now I have a Trek Madone size 54 we removed the 100mm stem and installed a 50mm after a fitting. The 50mm is from a MTB and looks so bad so I found a 60mm would that make a big change in everything in my fitting… also with the 54 I can never reach the hoods. With the new fitting I just make it. I been thinking of down sizing to a 52 but the shop is telling me the bars will be to low then.

I am new to this, I am a fat old man so I don’t know what to do… any input is great.
Old 04-17-22, 11:31 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekRider69
Hey Everyone,

Right now I have a Trek Madone size 54 we removed the 100mm stem and installed a 50mm after a fitting. The 50mm is from a MTB and looks so bad so I found a 60mm would that make a big change in everything in my fitting… also with the 54 I can never reach the hoods. With the new fitting I just make it. I been thinking of down sizing to a 52 but the shop is telling me the bars will be to low then.

I am new to this, I am a fat old man so I don’t know what to do… any input is great.

You're adapting a performance bike to be comfortable. You can try the 60mm stem, it should fit you fine. If you're still not happy, you'll need to change to a more comfortable bike.
Old 04-17-22, 12:56 PM
TrekRider69

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
You're adapting a performance bike to be comfortable. You can try the 60mm stem, it should fit you fine. If you're still not happy, you'll need to change to a more comfortable bike.
do you know any way I can take my fitting numbers and put it into a database to see which bike is best?
Old 04-17-22, 02:09 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
You are your own database. Only you know what will work for you.

First off, try out a 60mm stem and see how you like it after several thorough rides. The stem is too short for that bike, but it doesn't mean it won't work for you.

Stack, reach and effective top tube length are all very important for a correct frame fit, as a general starting point.

Take the E. top tube and Reach measurements for your trek, in the size you are riding. Find the drop and reach of the handlebars specced for your size.

ETT + 50MM stem + whatever the reach is for your handlebars would be = general starting point 1

Reach + 50mm stem + handlebar reach = starting point 2

Stack is slightly more complicated because not all bikes have an uncut steerer tube with a generous helping of spacers mounted underneath. Y

frames stack height, plus however many spacers you're running underneath, minus the drop of your handlebars (assuming the bars don't have too much of a drop for you) would conclude as a general reference for your frame fit, assuming you find that 50mm stem comfortable.

Lastly you can play around with this reference here
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...l92CWJ9i51fnft

To get an idea of how your stem choice will affect handlebar reach. There are comfort oriented drop bar bikes out there, Im sure. If you want a bike with a neutral hand positioning, you can always buy a good fitting flat bar bike and change the handlebars to the Soma Moustache 2...

Starting point for you would be a hybrid bike such as a Trek FX or similar, which places you into a neutral riding position. Ending point would be something designed for a upright riding position, such as perhaps a Trek Verve .
Old 04-17-22, 04:52 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
do you know any way I can take my fitting numbers and put it into a database to see which bike is best?
Take the frame measurements they gave you, and compare them to other bikes. The stem length won't be included, but if you get the frame numbers to match, you can find the right stem through trial & error.

Here's a bike frame comparison database: https://bikeinsights.com/dashboard Start with your existing bike (in the correct size), and then compare it to other bikes. Pay attention to the stack and reach numbers.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-17-22, 05:12 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
If the Madone needs a 50mm stem to fit you, it's too big. If a shop sold it to you like that, try to return it and find another shop. Also, you'll find that we have some on BF who eagerly give advice despite not having a clue. Just a heads up as you'll figure this out pretty quickly.
Old 04-21-22, 10:46 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
What to do, what to do. My thinking is always to emphasize getting fit over getting a bike fit. Obviously riding will increase fitness, sort of the whole point, but how to get from here to there? My advice is to ride the 54 with the new fit, ignore what it looks like. What it looks like or what other people think doesn't matter. Just find a way to ride the bike and do it. The bike shop and fitter are both right.

The real issue is how to progress and get fit. The bike is just a tool toward that end. The usual method is to measure your weekly mileage using a bike computer and putting your numbers in a spreadsheet or just writing them down. Increase weekly mileage by 10% for a few weeks and then cut that back to 5% a week. But don't think you can ride the weight off. That doesn't work. You have to reduce your daily calories. I know, bad news, but that's how it is. The bike will help some. It will gradually improve your musculature and more muscle burns more calories, so that's good.
Old 04-21-22, 12:49 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
The 50mm is from a MTB and looks so bad
So get a better looking 50mm stem. There are endless varieties of stems out there.

so I found a 60mm would that make a big change in everything in my fitting
10mm makes a significant difference.

I am new to this
With stem lengths, you will find that the more you ride and the more your body adapts to the road bike riding position, you can gradually move to longer lengths and possibly lower stems. But that 50mm short stem is a good place to start.
Old 04-23-22, 08:23 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
If looks matter more to you than comfort then that can be a big problem.

Otherwise, downsizing is an option if they can give you longer steerer tube to put enough spacers under the stem. Having lots of spacers under the stem might look ugly though.
Likes For qwaalodge: